Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

we have Aliexpress $35 720p IP cameras and blue iris at the shop. It works pretty well, considering how cheap it is. By far, the biggest expense is the PC to run it all on.

Also, the china cameras lose time and are kind of pieces of poo poo, but you don't notice once it's set up and Blue Iris is taking care of "details" like time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Slash posted:

Care to link which model you've got? There's shitlaods on Aliexpress.

We've got a few different ones, and they're all basically the same - same firmware, etc.

If I had something better than an iPhone 5 running iOS 9 on throttled Cricket I'd look it up, but it's too painful to internet right now.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Has anyone here played with Generic Thermostat?

I think I'm doing things correctly but it never shows up as a device after a restart and I'm not sure where to start troubleshooting. I don't see anything *obvious* in the logs.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

Thanks, what do you like about it compared to the Nest?

e: or is it just the fact that it's like 1/2 the price and electric baseboards have multiple thermostats per home?

Nest (and most other thermostats) can’t control line-level voltages that baseboard heater thermostats control. Regular thermostats use low-amp low-voltage signals to control relays and poo poo that your HVAC unit contains.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Gangringo posted:

This looks promising. At the very least I can tinker with it using the stuff I already have and see if it's remotely possible.

If you don't mind a yearlong hobby + ongoing maintenance after that, Home Assistant + Node Red will let you use cheap commodity off-the-shelf hardware in basically any amazing way you choose.

This guy has a pretty good buncha videos on this topic: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheHookUp

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

I hate so much about this recommendation, but Ring has *functionally* been a pretty great experience for my usage of two cameras at my apartment’s ingress/egress points.

I keep meaning to buy a couple smart switches so I can automate turning them off when we’re home but settled on a fabric condom we put over when arriving home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

neogeo0823 posted:

Yeah, that's my bad, thank you for understanding.

Got any idea of roughly how many 10s of pages back I should go? 20? 40? ...80? As for aptitude, I'm an industrial mechanic who's dabbled in both building and coding for Arduino, has specced, bought, and built multiple computers, and does not have any qualms about working with hand and power tools to do whatever needs to be done. Any advice on setups or specific components that I should look for would be appreciated, as well as anything else I might've missed. I'll check out those two links after I have dinner.

Poke around on this guy's channel, he does some good intro videos that'll get you started: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheHookUp.

I hate the cloudy internet of things as well, but for apartment ingress/egress stuff (I have a camera pointed at the entry door to watch for apartment people that may come in without us being there) it's kinda nice to not need to find a place for a server.