Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Mister Fister posted:

Thinking of getting into home automation. I want a system that allows me to remotely lock/unlock doors and to stream video when someone is at the front door... nothing too fancy.

What do you guys recommend?

Also, is there a doorlock that is remotely unlockable but also has the ability to be unlocked by tapping a smartphone (either via bluetooth/nfc) by a reputable manufacturer? I looked at Schlage and it only appears they are z-wave compatible, but i don't see anything about quickly unlocked with nfc/bluetooth.

I am just getting into this stuff too. I picked up the Schlage Sense. It is HomeKit compatible so if you have an Apple TV it can be operated remotely using the app. It also can be operated with Siri. If you're close enough, you can do it via bluetooth as well. So far I like it a lot.

I know it has an Android app but I don't know if that works over the cloud or if you need to be in bluetooth range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Mister Fister posted:

Oh thanks... i did a quick look on the website... so it's not z-wave compatible?

I don't recall anything in the manual about Z-wave. I think the Connect line is though.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

https://www.sylvania.com/en-us/newsroom/press-releases/Pages/SYLVANIA-Smart-Home-Introduces-Apple-HomeKit-enabled-Hub-Free-Bulb-.aspx

Is this thing for sale anywhere? I searched for it on Amazon but all I'm getting is a previous gen version.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Anyone have any experience with smart smoke detectors? I'm about to go for the Nest, however, I see First Alert has a HomeKit enabled one that also works with my existing wired smoke detectors, so that would be cool.