Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The issue is mostly having some semblance of ease of use. That's given more with OpenHAB, since most things are doable via UI, not so much with Home Assistant (which I personally use, together with zigbee2mqtt). Otherwise I would have installed that. Considering how much time I've spent on it, I'm probably better off going with HA finally, since I seem to end up maintaining it for some reason.

It's probably OpenHAB being dumb as hell. A good example would be the Xiaomi motion sensors. For some reason OpenHAB only parses the ON commands, never the OFF that are sent. So I have to automate the reset on a delay in e.g. Node-RED, whereas with zigbee2mqtt, everything works fine out of the box. Device discovery the same, when I bind one of those Xiaomi things, OpenHAB takes like up to 10 minutes to discover the features, with zigbee2mqtt, it works quasi instantly. I guess I'm answering my own question.

--edit:
What's also pissing me off is this Alexa poo poo. I don't use it, but my friend does. Interesting situation. There's an Alexa skill for OpenHAB, which relies on myopenhab.org as relay. Except they've disabled a lot of functionality this summer (too much server load) and essentially broke device discovery. loving awesome. Everyone else relies on emulating a Hue bridge. What in the hell. And that is also flakey. I did it via some Node-RED nodes, worked perfectly for a few hours. Still does, but now Alexa keeps complaining about something having gone wrong, while Node-RED keeps executing the actions just fine. Ugh.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Dec 31, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Regarding occupancy, anyone using vibration sensors or something to detect occupancy? Motion sensors aren't worth that much when sitting at the home office desk for extended time.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

LastInLine posted:

I guess the question is whether you mean people who are supposed to be there or not. If it's just the home occupants you care about, can't you use specific devices connected to wifi?
Mostly to automate lights. That it stays on while I'm in the office, and goes out when I'm not. It's less about laziness to flick a switch, but allowing the home automation to simulate occupancy and "movement" in the apartment, for when I'm away for extended amount of time. I was wondering whether the minute motions in the office chair could get picked up by such sensors. There aren't any decent and affordable Zigbee switches for European type installations, so it's a Zigbee bulb that needs to stay powered.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Thermopyle posted:

still alexa/assistant to trigger complex automations/routines.
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK THAT poo poo!

I'm not entirely sure whose fault is it, that there isn't proper integration with Alexa in any of the popular third party platforms (lack of interest in doing so, Amazon being dicks, or whatever), because everything's a loving Hue emulation and it works meh at best.

I set it up for a friend, and while Node RED automations keep working, Alexa goes frequently in a weird state complaining about errors requiring a restart.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Slash posted:

Yep the "paid-for" home assistant cloud integration works perfectly with Alexa. You can choose what to expose and it "just works". I use it to expose lights, temperature sensors and scripts so far.
Home Assistant is something I want to avoid in the case of my pal. I opted for OpenHAB, because it's more GUI based (and even then it's not fully featured, things like tags aren't available in the GUI, and these are necessary for Alexa integration). Still too much via config files in HA. OpenHAB has myopenhab.com, but they've disabled device discovery a few months ago because "server load", so I can't just that for Alexa anymore. If there's a commercial option, the guy is too much of s cheapskate for that.

I'm still surprised that there isn't a proper solution that doesn't require make-pretend on the local network.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Argue posted:

I guess this is a long shot, but has anyone come up with a way yet for me to talk to Home Assistant remotely without subscribing to Home Assistant Cloud and without webhooks (so that I don't have to expose anything to the internet)? I have a VPS running somewhere, if that helps.
I have Wireguard as VPN running at home, running in always-on mode on my phone, forwarding only traffic destined for my home network over it (so that anything else just goes over the wire as before). Works fine. I'm using the Home Assistant Android app like this and also feeding OwnTracks data back to it over the VPN link (instead of a HTTP endpoint exposed on the web).

Wireguard is stateless. Means you don't need to specifically connect with a login or anything. You set the application up with the public key stuff, and that's it. If Wireguard receives traffic and can decrypt and authenticate it, it'll happily communicate with you. If it can't, it doesn't respond at all (it uses UDP, so there's no connection setup a la TCP), acting like there's nothing running on the assigned port. Pretty safe option.

If you're using hass.io, there's a docker image available for it on their add-on store.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Anyone here ever tried scripting some logic around motion and a CO2 sensor for presence detection?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Motronic posted:

CO2 sensors? Do you have any idea how much something with meaningful sensitivity for an application like that would cost? I'm not even sure it's feasible at any budget.
I have recently gotten one of those Netatmo ones. It picks up an increase of CO2 when I enter and do things in the room, and it drops slowly, when I'm gone and it has some time to dissipate again.

It's probably accurate enough to look for a drop. When the motion sensor detects someone, it'd read the current CO2 and define a threshold value below what it has to fall to consider the room vacated longterm. Or something like that. Probably in combination with some delay to deal with crap like airing the room. At least that incredible machine type of scheme in my mind kind of looks like it might work.

--edit:
I still need to get and fiddle around with these Aqara vibration sensors, to detect working in the office, too.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jan 31, 2020

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I'm surprised it accumulates/reacts that quickly already. That tiny bump in the middle of it was entering the room for 10 minutes at around 5am before heading to work.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

priznat posted:

Patent idea: Automated fart detection system that names and shames.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvB0wRFebus

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Install Node-RED for automations. If you go with HASS.io to an SD-Card, it'll be available in the add-on store as a docker image.

Also, depending on your skills, you could set up a VPN. Dynamic DNS on your router to be reachable from anywhere, install Wireguard add-on into HASS.io, Wireguard client on the phone/tablet, presto, free remote functionality.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

DaveSauce posted:

Is Node RED just a GUI that writes YAML? Or is it its own thing? I honestly like the text interface because I'm used to that sort of thing, but it certainly has a learning curve and it's not obvious how to do certain things unless you google. I'd hate to lose it though.
It's its own thing. Flow graphs for messages that get generated, and each node processes the message, and if it has an output, either passes it on or not, and if it does, can also modify it. You can also write custom nodes, either as plugin or just dropping JS straight into a function node. The ecosystem is relatively big, so there's plenty of nodes for everything to install.

Personally I don't like YAML for scripting, because it's just a bunch of conditional triggers for actions. If I have to script something, I would have preferred it the way OpenHAB does it, some JS type of contraption that allows complex activities. Node-RED allows for that.

You can run both in parallel, tho. YAML automations don't stop because Node-RED is installed and running.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Jul 24, 2020

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

gently caress that poo poo. I tried the Hue bridge thing at a friend's place. It breaks as soon you sneeze the wrong time of day.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Card-tools, Mini-graph-card, Button-card and Layout-card are plugins you probably want. Especially the last one for controlling column layouts, but you'll have to dive to straight YAML for UIs. That and a good theme.

And yeah, the Samba add-on.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

That Home Assistant Amber platform based on the RPi4 compute module seems nice. What's not so nice is that it's delayed, because SiLabs bumped their lead times for the programmable Zigbee SoC from 6 to 42 weeks.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

They're magnetically triggered. Just wrap them up in something watertight.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I think I need a new Zigbee stick. I'm using that CC2531 transceiver with custom Zigbee firmware. My RPi was down over the night and now half of my things unbound. That's sure annoying as gently caress, and apparently doesn't happen with a proper Zigbee stick. Of course, they're now hard to get, too. SiLabs for instance bumped the delivery times of their EFR32 chips from 6 to 42 weeks.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

If the nearby nuclear power plant blows up, I ought to get a notification before the news starts reporting (probably not really). Saw it on Youtube, I figured I can spare the euro of additional energy cost per year for this gag. That open source geiger counter kit attached to an ESP8266 running ESPHome :haw:

Red_Fred posted:

What's the suggested method to install HA on a Pi4? I currently have just Pi-Hole installed on mine so I guess I would need to wipe that and start from scratch?
If you want to run solely HA on it (because the wipe), installing their OS image might be an idea. It takes away control from the underlying OS, but you get automagic docker plugins and updates.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

If the NUT integration works, there should be a bunch of new sensors in the format sensor.ups_name.voltage etc.

Like so:

It's been a while, but IIRC it sets up the NUT integration within HA automagically when you install the add-on. If you need to do it manually and it asks for username and password, make sure they're the same as in the configuration in the add-on.

--edit: Whoops, you went manual. Nevermind then.
--edit: IDK, there shouldn't be much to it. The correct IP address, port and login. The setup via configuration.yaml has been deprecated a while ago, I guess it's been blocked/removed entirely.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Oct 22, 2021

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

DaveSauce posted:

The username/password I put in is the one they have you set up (monuser/secret in their instructions). Not sure if that's what I'm supposed to use, but the other Pi logins aren't working so I dunno.
Yeah, it's that combo you set up for NUT. Weird that it doesn't work. Doesn't happen to be some firewalling bullshit? Does NUT complain about anything? Internet says it pukes its log entries into the syslog.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I have no idea. I'm using HASS.io, so that I don't need to bother babysitting the Pi's host OS.

Another option would be jerryrigging something with MQTT to push the data to Home Assistant? I wouldn't know how much effort it'll be, especially if you're not using an MQTT server on HA at all (e.g. for zigbee2mqtt), but it's not unpossible.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Home Assistant ('s data recorder functionality) shat itself tonight over the (European?) daylight saving switch. How is this still a thing these days?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Yeh, but Home Assistant survived the change just fine last year. And the host OS is being kept current.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Oh yeah. Even these Aqara sensors with the mediocre reactivity noticed it, inside with closed windows of all this.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Hmm interesting. You have a way higher and more consistent sample rate. I guess that CC2531 of mine is hosed/buggy.

--edit: Nevermind, wide date range.
--edit: No, actually indeed higher sample rate. Hrm.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jan 18, 2022

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

ShoeFly posted:

I’m using a CC2652R with Zigbee2MQTT if that helps
Thanks, yeah it does.

I investigated it some more, and it turns out I have a CC2530 instead of an 31, and seems I'm blowing through the device limit for the firmware, so seems like devices randomly drop and reconnect based on LQ and weather.

I could extend it by flashing a variant, something something source routing or whatever, but I've just ordered a dongle based on the CC2652P instead (P is external antenna apparently/I think). Interwebs says switching dongles is quasi seamless with zigbee2mqtt.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jan 19, 2022

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Aaronicon posted:

and maybe a couple that do particulates and others for the larger common areas are what I'm thinking.
If you're interested in/concerned with PM2.5 to begin with, it might be worth to get a purifier, too. The Xiaomi ones have PM2.5 sensors, and the H-models have temperature and humidity ones, too. And they look pretty neutral. You can tie them into at least Home Assistant and OpenHAB.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I'm glad I went with HASS.io in that regard. It's a pain in the rear end that they wall off the underlying Linux installation (I tried this public ssh key on USB stick debug crap once, didn't take), but the abstracted Docker plugin stuff is neat. Install zigbee2mqtt plugin, presto, it works.

I have a preorder on that Home Assistant Yellow. I'm not sure yet how I feel about that ZHA stuff in Home Assistant, which the Yellow will apparently use. Migration is gonna be a pain in the rear end, if I want to try to keep same entity and attribute names.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Updating my Sonoff Zigbee 3.0 stick was a pain in the rear end, because the necessary TI flashing tools are behind sign-ups and what not, plus I had to remove the case.

I needed to flash the latest available firmware, because the CC2652P had issues with Touchlink (with the Z-Stack it shipped with), which I need to work, if I want to bind my Hue bulbs directly.

After all the drama, turns out my bulbs (or rather the firmware, because they're v1) are too old for it to work. They're a few years old (--edit: from 2014), after all. :saddowns:

--edit:
Oh heh, it worked. Needed to hold them within 10cm of the stick for this to work. Finally I can ditch that Hue bridge.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Feb 6, 2022

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Does anyone happen to know why this kind of poo poo happens? On the left hand side, the update rate is pretty high, on the right hand side it suddenly dropped a lot.

I'm using a CC2652R with zigbee2mqtt. The sensor(s) in question are those battery-driven Aqara temperature and humidity sensors. It's unlikely to be a battery issue, since pretty much all of them did that change of rate.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Thanks for pointing that one out.

Yeah, it's weird that the sensors drop rate at some undefined point. They do update instantly, tho, if there's a drastic environmental change. Be it a temperature drop from cross ventilation, or just blowing on them.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Home Assistant 2022.3 is changing(?) the UI component library it uses, so I guess plenty of custom components might blow up.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I told the Adguard Home addon on Hassio to update, unchecked the backup option, because why not, and the newest version decided it doesn't like my bootstrap configuration entries anymore and goes into a bootloop. The addon doesn't expose the Adguard own configuration files in /config, so the addon's container's hosed. Joke's on me I guess.

This should be the moment to move to Home Assistant Supervised for extended control over the whole setup.

--edit: I guess it was time to finally fix ssh to the host OS.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Apr 20, 2022

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Anyone here owns that Aqara VOC sensor? That thing worthwhile? Reviews are mixed.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I figure they have a way to self-calibrate? Like that Netatmo CO2 sensor I have, which relies on properly airing your room at least once a week, to drop it to baseline CO2 levels. I'd expect a VOC sensor do something similar.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Trying to score a CM4 with decent amount of RAM, for my upcoming HA Yellow, is like chasing an unicorn.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Must be the SoC itself, because even Lite modules without WLAN are rare AF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Not yet Matter compatible. Also cable, eh. Limits where you can mount it.

But I sure want one for living room lights automation, via these regions you can define.