Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Is there a go-to recommendation for a very responsive zigbee motion sensor for home assistant for doing hallway lighting and similar stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

TheDK posted:

What are some more specific use cases? Aqara FP2 mmwave is something I've seen for actual motion.
Expensive and wired, but will work for some stuff.

Its for doing automatic hallway lights, so the mmwave may be overkill.

Zigbee, responsive, inexpensive ($20-40 would be fine) preferably.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Sounds good. Amazon's page says out of stock. I'll track a couple down anyway.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

The only ESP stuff I have are a pair of garage door opener connectors and they seem to work fine. But they're basically a single contact sensor and a relay so they're pretty simple.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Can you use those for local (not-web-connected) voice control?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

biznatchio posted:

I bought an additional door opener remote and soldered a Shelly across the button contacts on the remote's board, and put a hall effect sensor on the door to detect open/close state. Works far better than MyQ ever did.
I've got a couple of these, works great for me with home assistant. https://www.athom.tech/blank-1/garage-door-opener-for-esphome

I can open or close the doors from wherever, and I have lights in the garage set to turn on for 10 minutes whenever the door sensors are tripped. Works great. I have sensors for the human doors too but the trim is in such bad shape there's no good way to mount them. Next house I guess.