Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

guaranteed
Nov 24, 2004

Do not take apart gun by yourself, it will cause the trouble and dangerous.
You guys, I have so many questions. I'm just confusing myself at this point. I've read the thread from about last July, but I figured starting from the beginning would only be confusing myself with old technology.

If I buy something that says "works with Alexa," do I need to buy an Echo Plus, or will it work with, say, a Show or a Dot? Is it dependent on whether the device in question has a hub of its own?

I have hue lights and a bridge on the way but delayed by weather, we've preordered a Nest doorbell that comes with a free Google Home mini and ships next month, we have a million Mac and iOS devices, and I successfully put Home Assistant onto a Raspberry Pi2 I had sitting around, but of course no devices to test it on. I don't speak Python, so I feel kind of over my head with that one, but I bought the Pi to learn new things and then never did, so ...

I was thinking the Google Mini would be fine to start with, but some things I'm interested in aren't available yet, and seem to be maybe Alexa-enabled only. I don't want to start building things up, only to have to switch it all over later.

Also, this whole thing got started because we'll be re-siding the house this spring or summer, and I want to get doors, outlets, windows, doorbell, cameras, lights, whatever, all situated with the nice new siding. What am I forgetting that would best be done while the siding is off the house?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU