Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Question. We're moving into a new house soon with zwave/zigbee stuff in the walls, and a mix of Nest (themostats/smoke alarms) and Ring (cameras) that are being left in place. We currently have a couple Alexa devices in our place running integrations, but I want to swap to Google Home, since it better integrates with things like our music services and chromecasts and stuff. Haven't bought any new hardware yet.

Is it doable to easily display what's going on with Ring through the Google devices? I'm fine to grab my phone most of the time and use the Ring app, but I'd like to be able to quickly see, for instance, who's at the door through the Ring doorbell on the Google Home hub upstairs or whatever. Happy to setup HomeAssistant (which I'm probably going to do anyway) if it makes things easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

anybody taken over a house that has Insteon stuff before? it's all setup with an Insteon hub (and mostly fired through Alexa voice/actions), so should I just have them transfer the account to me? I'm going to move it to hass anyway, just dunno if it's easier to start fresh or what.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

chiming in with 5 wemo plugs I stopped using because they also had similar "huh, just not working today I guess" type of things happen that other brands didn't

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

Dark Knight posted:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/04/shameful-insteon-looks-dead-just-like-its-users-smart-homes/

Apparently the Insteon servers are down, probably forever? Insteon leadership has ghosted everyone and scrubbed any mention of Insteon from their resumes and LinkedIns.

I guess this is a good example of why cloud-based home automation is a bad idea and should be avoided. Hopefully no one in this thread was affected!

I moved into a house with about ten insteon switches. running on home assistant now, but if the hub dies I'll have to replace them all. fun!

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

Scruff McGruff posted:

It's been a while since I tried it but when I was first setting up Home Assistant, the containerized version and the Core version both seemed less stable and less feature rich than the full VM or Bare Metal versions. I don't know if this is still the case but Docker and Core couldn't run HACS which significantly limits the integrations available to you depending on the devices you're running. And like Motronic said, while most of the add-ons are better suited to a VM or host other than your HA machine, File Editor is super useful and some Z-Wave and MQTT stuff runs as add-ons.

I run HACS on the containerized version of hass

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

yeah I haven't done anything more intensive than "ESP module pulls data from a couple pins and sends it to hass on wifi" but it's been drat rock solid for doing that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

thats how we control the fans on our porch, just leave them on full blast with the little dangly string and have a smart switch dimmer to control the voltage going to it for fan speeds