Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

porkface posted:

How many of those need to be on the main HASS rpi?

None really,. But the addon system makes it convenient and easy to install them all in one place, if you are using such add-ons. Might as well have a more powerful machine to do it.

There are a ton of those small low power business systems from Lenovo, HP, Dell, etc.. on eBay for cheap. I spent a grand total of $85 on mine including the cheap SSD. And I have something that is 10x powerful than a Pi.

I started out with a Pi and once I started adding a bunch of stuff to it, things just got too slow for my liking.

stevewm fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Mar 31, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Hubis posted:

For what it's worth, there's apparently some kind of bug in Hassio that causes the database to not properly purge old information, so you end up with a constantly growing local DB store that massively bogs everything down I was wondering why I had like an 8 gig DB file and lo and behold discovered it somewhere in the forums. The fix (for me at least) is to run an automation that manually requests a purge every night. My boot times, log requests, etc got waaay faster after I fixed that.

E: links

https://community.home-assistant.io/t/home-assistant-v2-db-doesnt-purge/45870

https://community.home-assistant.io/t/hass-database-growing-huge/77125

I believe that bug was fixed already.. I know I don't run into that anymore. I have my purge days set at 14 and it seems to comply with the setting.

When I first started using the Pi, it worked OK.. But as I added more and more devices, and then eventually started installing addons like NodeRed and Unifi, it just started to get slower and slower. I also started having problems with my Zwave network completely stalling requiring a reboot of the Pi to get it working again. This was when I decided to move it over the the PC. All my performance issues and problems went away.

-

stevewm
May 10, 2005

OSU_Matthew posted:

So what would the performance benefit of this over a pi 3 be in practice? I thought the pi 3 was more than capable of running Home Assistant, but does it chug if you’re say trying to run some sort of NVR system?

Is there some way to load balance requests to a second pi-3 to mitigate this and offer HA failover? Or would a second pi require an additional radio for failover functionality and potentially create stupid issues like split brain and wireless congestion? Or is the correct failover answer just regularly backup recovery image or database to NAS/butt and have a spare pi on hand?

Legit curious as I just ordered a USB radio and a new managed switch to re-architect some other stuff on my network and finally move off smart things. Sorry if this is a stupid question, I haven’t taken the deep dive into Home Assistant yet.

E: I see the processing power question was answered in between when I started my reply last night and this morning lol. I’ll try a pi with the DB optimization first and scale up hardware as needed. Still curious about proper High Availability and Failover architecting suggestions though.

Far as I know, HomeAssistant has not been designed with failover or load balancing in mind at all. However using the Snapshot feature in Hass.io, it is not difficult to move the HA setup to different hardware. Basically, install HA. Copy your saved snapshot over to the backup folder, and then inside Hass.io, tell it to restore it.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Hubis posted:

I think what might have been happening was corruption from the previous bug causing the purge to fail, so even though it had been fixed I had to reset my db for it to take effect.

I could believe running the Unifi controller taking up a fair amount of power, depending on how much logging you're doing. Of course you could just buy a buttkey for less than the lenovo box, but I appreciate the micro-form factor PC gives you more flexibility there.

Yeah is has kinda become my little home server in a ways. Since Hass.io is just Docker. I installed Portainer (available as a Hass.io addon too!) and have used it to setup some additional docker containers to play around with other things. I couldn't imagine still doing it on a Pi... Have also been experimenting with all the various dashboard options; planning on a wall mounted tablet by my front door.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

My solution to failover is not completely automated, but its easy. I've got two cheap machines like stevewm has posted about (along with the same zwave dongles), and I keep my HA config folder in sync between them.

If something happens, I just fire up my HA docker image (not hassio) on the second machine and I'm back in business. Takes less than 5 minutes.

I could probably script something that periodically checked the status of machine 1 and fired up HA on machine 2 when necessary, but its not really something I'm too concerned about. I'll do it eventually.

edit: I actually simplified that description too much. I don't just have an HA docker image, I have a docker compose file that installs mosquitto, appdaemon, HA, and some other poo poo.

That is a pretty good idea!

I may do that someday in the future. But right now I am not too concerned about HA. The majority of my lighting devices are ZWave switches, so at least the lights can still be controlled if HA is non-functional.

I've only had to restore my system once. Back when I was using the Pi I had a SD card failure.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Zigbee is a bit of a mess really, for Home Automation purposes.

Zigbee originally only defined the radio link and protocol, but not a way to actually control a device at the other end. So you had a way to talk to a light for example, but there was no standard way to actually control it. As a result many Zigbee devices are not interoperable and often require their own hub. Philips Hue is big example of this: uses Zigbee, but uses its own unique control protocol.

This is entirely different from the competing protocol, Zwave, which from the start defined not only the radio and communications, but also defined a standard set of devices and the commands to control them. Because of this, all ZWave devices are interoperable, and any ZWave controller can control just about any ZWave device.

There does exist a standard for HA devices in Zigbee called Zigbee Home Automation, or ZHA for short. But from my understanding it hasn't been used a whole lot until recently.
And the Zigbee alliance only recently started pushing for interoperability among ZHA devices.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Yeah it has some native support via ZigPy... Only ZHA compatible devices from my understanding.

And I've done the ESPHome thing too. Converted a few custom sensors, and made my garage door controllable via HA. It's fantastic. It's so much more stable. Have not had a single lock up or failure since switching them to ESPHome.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

azurite posted:

Z-Wave roolz, Zigbee droolz.

I'm inclined to agree. It just.. works... Pair, add the newly created entities to your UI, and done.

I have several zwave switches, bulbs, energy monitor, and door/window sensors. I'm still surprised at the door sensor battery life. A few are over 2 years old and on the original batteries. Battery level still over 80%

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Nearly all battery powered ZWave devices have a command/parameter to adjust the "wake time" which controls how often they wake up and report in when not being triggered. I wonder if maybe the Monoprice ones have this set too low by default? Or whatever Zwave hub they are using them with is setting it too low...

I have several Ecolink branded Zwave door/window sensors. Many are 2 years old and still reporting more than 75% battery left on their original factory battery. Even my front door one which averages at least 10 activations a day, if not more. My Ecolink's defaulted to a wake time of 24 hours I believe.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Holy crap, looking at my Amazon orders, I've had some of these sensors a lot longer than I thought..

This is my oldest one that is on my Garage Door. It was my first ZWave device, ordered in March of 2015. Still going on the original included CR123 battery. 61%!

It only sees 4-6 activations a day. And it looks like the wake up time is every 4 hours. I could probably set that timer to longer, but its been working fine like that for years apparently.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Lenovo Tiny machines are also good. I use a Tiny M53 with a 120gb SSD for my Hass install.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
You can use Hass.io on any machine by installing it on top of Linux.

https://www.home-assistant.io/hassio/installation/

Scroll down to near the bottom, the section titled "install on generic Linux server"

Works great and gives you the same Hass.io functionality as if you had used the Hass.io image.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
A few posts back there was talk about Zwave sensor battery life. I had mentioned I had a sensor from early 2015 with its original battery.

As chance would have it, just last night that sensor finally quit. The battery life had been at 66% for some time, and then it just suddenly stopped working.

Curiously the battery only measures .3v So either the sensor was able to work down to that voltage (doubtful), or the battery actually failed somehow.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Installed a TP-Link HS-200 switch to replace one of my dead ZWave switches.. I think I like it better than the ZWave switches. Cheaper, takes up less room in the switch box, uses pre-attached pigtails for wiring. I also like the soft glow circle behind the switch plastic that acts like a nightlight when the switch is off.

Additionally, Home Assistant can control it locally without any cloud stuff.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
I guess I could see how what I wrote could be misunderstood.

I was only pointing out that the TPLink switches could be locally controlled without any cloud connectivity (though you do need it for initial setup). I didn't mean to say that ZWave couldn't.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Keystoned posted:

Any tips here? I bought a replacement but damned if I can find where the old one is installed.

Around here they are commonly inside the breaker panel (likely against code, but they do it anyways), attached to, or near the breaker box.

Mine was actually inside the breaker box.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Motronic posted:

I'm still pretty happy with hass.io, but based on the stories I've heard I certainly wouldn't be if I was running it on a Pi. Mines on my VMWare server.

Yeah this is why I installed Hass.io on top of Ubuntu on a cheap mini-pc I bought off eBay... Then its all docker containers. I can install other containers outside of Hass if I want to.

I originally tried using VMs... but since I use a USB stick for Zwave... USB passthrough to VMs in general is terrible and barely works.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Motronic posted:

Is there DHCP? Because I wouldn't be the slightest bit surprised to see them drab DHCP info if they can't get to the internet with their manual config. Or one of a host of other ways of figuring out the gateway.

Bottom line - what's the huge blocker from simply doing it right? They are a known high risk, so put them in non-internet jail like they're supposed to be.

This is one of the reasons at work all of our IP cameras are on completely separate physical network infrastructure from the rest of our network with their own cabling and switches. The only time the networks "meet" so to speak is at the NVR server on its own NIC. The camera LAN has no path to the internet or indeed anywhere off that network.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
I guess it depends on what you mean by bare metal...

It runs as docker containers on every platform. The Pi and NUC Images are Hass.io running on top of their own custom Linux OS called HassOS which itself is based on a embedded Linux project called Buildroot.

Personally I installed Hass.io on top of a generic Ubuntu Server 19.04 installation. (https://www.home-assistant.io/hassio/installation/ Scroll down to "Alternative: install on a generic Linux host".) Hardware is a Lenovo Tiny m53 mini PC I snagged off ebay for $70 over a year ago and equipped with a 120GB SSD. Hass.io works 100% this route just as it would on a Pi, except with a lot more power available and WAY faster than on a Pi.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

n0tqu1tesane posted:

This is what I did as well, except on an old Lenovo tower I had laying around.

Yeah I went with the Tiny because we use them at work and I am familiar with them. Plus they only use like ~15 watts of power at idle meaning it costs a whole $15 to power it for the entire year.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Ziploc posted:

I (as well as a friend trying it on his own computer) tried the alternative method to install outside of a docker and we didn't get far. Googling didn't help us much since we couldn't find many people doing it. I'll try again.

Thanks.

Interesting.. I've done it twice, and it worked on the first try both times. Using Ubuntu Server 19.04... I didn't have to install all the packages mentioned in the documentation, as it already had a couple of them preinstalled. There is a note a little further down the page you have to use the docker-ce package directly from the Docker repository, and not the docker.io package from the Ubuntu repository. It mentions it could cause issues.

I believe the install script linked in that guide will only work on a fresh Ubuntu install where Docker has not been previously setup.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Well that was fun...

The SSD in my Lenovo Tiny PC running my HomeAssistant setup died last night. I stupidly didn't have a backup of the hass.io snapshots.

I didn't have a SSD laying around so I had to slap a spinning disk temporarily in it and start all over from scratch. And honestly I am glad I did! My Home Assistant setup was quite old having been updated clear from like version .02 or something. Most of my setup was not making use of the newer stuff that had been introduced over the years.

Was quite surprised when setting it up I didn't have to touch a YAML file manually throughout the entire process. All my ZWave devices re-added themselves soon as I pointed it to the ZWave stick. Everything just seems to work better and faster.

Also liking the new Android app and making use of Home Assistant Cloud's RemoteUI thing. Don't have to dick around with port forwarding or setting up my own domain/certificate.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Just ordered some of those super cheap door and motion sensors from Wyze. There is community addon for Home Assistant to directly support the receiver the things use. $20 for 2 door sensors, 1 PIR sensor and the USB receiver.

https://wyze.com/wyze-sense.html

2 of my zWave door sensors poo poo the bed. They both failed in the same way within weeks of each other. They suck the battery down in just a few days, almost like they are staying permanently awake, but they aren't. The Wyze sensors will make good replacements.

Home Assistant instructions located here: https://github.com/kevinvincent/ha-wyzesense If you are using Hass.io, then the component is easily installed via the Add On Store. If you are not using Hass.io, the component requires manual installation.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

This is cool. Great pricing. I will get in on this at the beginning of the new year. Do I understand correctly that the HA component bypasses the need for the Wyze cam to plug the hub thingy into?

Yes.. you plug the hub directly into whatever device you are running HA on.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Got my Wyze door and motion sensors. Haven't got them going yet. But I can't get over how small these things are!

Quarter included for scale.

Batteries are included and already installed.

The door sensors run on CR1632 button cells. All the sensors have some mounting tape preinstalled.

The PIR motion sensor runs on a CR2450.

I'll post again when I get them working with Home Assistant..

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Got the Wyze Sensors working in Home Assistant...

There are 2 routes.. you can do it via HACS which is somewhat involved if you don't already have HACS installed. Or just copy the custom component in and restart. Directions and component located here: https://github.com/kevinvincent/ha-wyzesense

Basically... install component, add the binary sensor declaration to your configuration.yaml, plug in USB receiver, restart HA. Interestingly, mine didn't work until I restarted the entire host machine. Restarting just HA wasn't enough. (I have Hass.io installed under Ubuntu on a PC). I'm guessing this had something to do with the USB receiver not being picked up in Docker or something.

You get 2 new services under Development Tools/Services. Call "wyzesense.scan" and then push and hold the button on the sensor you want to pair until the light starts blinking. The sensor will immediately appear in Home Assistant as a binary sensor and you'll get a notification in HA that a new sensor was detected and paired. You can only pair ONE sensor per service call. If you have multiple sensors to pair you will need to wait at least 30 seconds after pairing before calling the service again and pairing the next sensor.

Updates are instant with no detectable delay. The PIR sensor stays in activated/on state for 40 seconds every time it senses motion. The sensors do return signal strength and battery level with every transmit, which is shown in Home Assistant.

And of course there are already several designs for mounting brackets on Thingiverse. The foam tape included on the sensors is not that great at all.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Keystoned posted:

What is that? It looks pretty slick.

It is Home Assistant. The GUI of which is incredibly customizable.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Kalman posted:

ESP32 based smoker temperature monitor integrated into HA via MQTT. (Eventually will also integrate automatic temperature control, but for now it just monitors.)

Siri now answers when I ask “what temperature is the meat?”

Did you use ESPHome?

I have setup a temperature, pressure, and door sensor (via reed switch) with an a old ESP8266 I had laying around. It was super simple using ESPHome in HA. No coding required. Just a few YAML lines.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

Compared to what you could do 5 years ago? Amazing.

Compared to what Google can do now? Not great.

That being said, you can use HA with Google Assistant or Alexa. In fact, one of the things I really like about using Home Assistant is that I can control and access all sorts of stuff with Google Assistant that doesn't usually work with it. This is because Home Assistant can mostly expose anything it controls to Google Assistant.

Yeah, using HomeAssistant's NabuCasa service for native integration with Google and Alexa is great. If Home Assistant can control it, you can expose it to Google and Alexa to be voice controlled.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Yeah, most of those ZWave switches have a small blue light like that. It is not very bright at all. Just enough to locate it in a dark room.

And nearly all of them have a parameter you can set to disable it.

The GE/Jasco ones I have you can disable the light, or invert its function (have the light be on when the load is on)

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Seconding Home Assistant for this. It does well to tie multiple ecosystems together, and it supports a LOT of devices.

They have got it to the point where many users don't even have to touch the YAML config files directly anymore, everything can be done with the GUI.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Cornjob posted:

Fiddled again. Still perplexed. How can I add alexa routines to the home assistant interface?

Also, I have wyze lights, and gosund (smart life) switches, neither of which seems to Home assistant compatible.

To use the native Alexa integration,you have to subscribe to "Nabu Casa", (https://www.nabucasa.com/) which is their $5 per month thing that lets you easily access Home Assistant outside your network, and also gives a endpoint for Alexa and Google Home to use for native integration. You can then expose entities to Alexa... After you select which entities in Home Assistant to expose, they will be picked up by Alexa automatically when you install the Home Assistant skill on Alexa..

As for Wyze bulbs... Those are quite new and the API for those was just recently figured out, it has not been integrated into the mainline release yet.. It is available as a custom component though: https://github.com/JoshuaMulliken/ha-wyzeapi

The Gosund Smart Life switches are yet another Tuya based product. They will work with the Tuya integration: https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/tuya (this is one of the few where you still have to add it to the config file manually) A ton of cheap HA stuff out there is Tuya based.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
It does work well once you get it setup..

Personally I have a good mix of devices.

Several Zwave switches, dimmers and a energy monitoring module, 2 Tuya based RGB Lighbulbs, 2 TP-Link Wifi switches, 2 Wyze contact/door sensors, 1 Wyze motion sensor, 1 cheapo RGBWW LED controller(using "LEDNet" protocol), Alexa, and Google Home.

I also have a custom temperature sensor and garage door opener I built myself based on a ESP8266, but running ESPHome/ESPEasy integration built into HA.

Despite all these different platforms, inside Home Assistant, they all look and behave the same. Ditto when exposed to Alexa and Google Home. This is what makes it so useful.

In the above screenshot are devices from 4 different platforms. Zwave (light switches and energy monitor), ESPHome (door opener and temp/pressure sensor), TPLink (garage light switch), and Wyze (door sensors).

stevewm fucked around with this message at 21:31 on May 1, 2020

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Cornjob posted:

My desire for alexa integration is the opposite (but also i dont fully understand HA yet). I dont need alexa to control HA.

I want alexa routines to be buttons on the Home assistant UI. Is that part of nabu casa?

Ah no... Not as far as I know. Generally people do the opposite. Setup the routine in HA (called scripts/automations in HA).

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Well after a few years of service, my little Lenovo Tiny PC acting as my Hass/HomeAssistant server is starting to fail. It keeps hard locking randomly and the video output goes all distorted when this happens. Even does it sitting at the BIOS screen.

I have a old i3 laptop laying around. Guess I'll move Hass over to that instead...

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Zwave range is "officially" 100m/328ft. But in reality it's more like 100ft, at least in my experience.

But Zwave is a mesh protocol. Every mains powered Zwave device acts as a repeater. This mesh forms automatically as devices are added to the network. So a device not in direct radio range of the Zwave adapter will still work since it can relay through other Zwave devices.

So the effective range is much greater the more powered devices you have spread about.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
I once saw the metal portion of a large screwdriver converted directly to a gas when it came into contact one of the service legs. It was quite the spectacle. Said person claimed to be an "electrician".

All they where left with was the now hollow plastic handle.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

WhiteHowler posted:

I don't have any smart speakers like Amazon Echo or Google Home/Nest, but the cloud service has also allowed me to:

- See the status of my devices when I'm not home
- Change the state of devices when I'm not home

This right here is worth the $5 itself...

Sure you can setup remote access to your Home Assistant yourself. But then you have to deal with SSH certs, port forwarding, IP changes, etc... Their cloud service abstracts this all away for you, and does so securely. It also allows remote access to most installed addons, something that doing it yourself is not easy to do. Additionally, combined with the HA Companion app, it makes sending push notifications to your remote device a cinch.

It just... works.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

iOS Hue app was updated with a new UI. Once you open a room, all your lights are listed with horizontal scrolling now instead of vertical. What the hell?! That's ridiculously annoying.

I am convinced that UI designers will change things just to make it look different. With zero thought put towards actual usability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Does anyone know of a RGB bulb that meets the following specifications?:

NOT Tuya based
Works with Home Assistant (natively, or easily flashable to some alternative firmware that does work well with HA... Tuya bulbs are not)
Wifi, Zwave, or Zigbee.
Color brightness/lumens is not 5% of the regular/white part of the bulb.
US-120v/60hz compatible.