Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

WhiteHowler posted:

I'm not sure what you mean about the color brightness, but I am using these Innr Zigbee RGB smart bulbs in several fixtures. They work perfectly with HA and my generic Zigbee/Zwave USB stick.

The color is good, and the white is very bright and basically indistinguishable from a non-RGB bulb.

They're a little pricey at around $25 each, but still cheaper than Hue.

The few RGB bulbs I've tried have all been disappointing when it came to colors... the RGB part has always been maybe 5% the brightness of the white. Granted though my experience so far has only been with Tuya based bulbs.

Those look like a fantastic alternative.

Which zigbee/zwave stick do you use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevewm
May 10, 2005
If anyone has a weather station with USB support.. the WeeWX project is a great tool to get the data from your weather station and spit it out to Home Assistant via MQTT.

I have one of those Acurite "5n1" stations. The display has a USB port meant for Acurite's official hub.

Installed WeeWX on a raspberry pi 2b I had laying around. Hooked it up to the Acurite display. The WeeWX installation asks which weather station you have. Add your MQTT info to the WeeWX config file.

The only really laborious part is adding all the resulting MQTT sensors to Home Assistant.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Installed an "Amcrest" branded 4k camera from Amazon and paired it with BlueIris.

Ended up buying a license for BlueIris. The newest version has integration with DeepStack. So in the clip list you get a list of what it seen in each clip. (Person, car, truck, cat, etc...). You can also set BlueIris to record cameras at a low resolution and then switch to full resolution when it see motions and/or DeepStack detects an object. I have a GTX1060 laying around I am going to slap in the server and give the GPU version of DeepStack a try. Right now DeepStack analysis takes about 400-600ms in software-only mode. GPU based analysis should get that down to under 100ms from what I read.

Next step is configuring MQTT in BlueIris so I can get alerts through Home Assistant when I am away from the house and it detects a person.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

bobfather posted:

I have been on BI4 for years, not upgrading to 5 out of general apathy for the new features (substreams being the most exciting feature that could have convinced me to upgrade), but offloading the image analysis to DeepStack seems genuinely pretty cool!

Yeah I have it recording the low resolution sub-stream 24/7. And then switching to full resolution/frame-rate when the BI motion detection triggers. The trigger event hands a few snapshots of the triggering event to DeepStack. If it detects an object, then BI adds the recording to the Alert Cliplist. If no object is detected, it is not added to the alert cliplist. But I the main stream full resolution footage is still recorded for the motion trigger.

Setting up the DeepStack thing is fairly easy. Install the appropriate version from the DeepStack website, and then in BI, check the box to use it. Used this guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLH9GEcdb9Y

The guy in the video has problems with it not switching to the main stream, but my camera doesn't seem to have this problem.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Partycat posted:

Does anyone using home assistant on a Pi3B+ have any comment on how not to break the thing constantly?

A couple of people suggested that this happens as the Pi is underpowered and something will fail to install/compile/etc but I can't believe that's the case.

This was my experience using the Pi3 for HASS. It is just OK for the base HA installation. But anything beyond that... nope. I ended up buying a cheap i3 mini PC off eBay and switching to that using the NUC install.

Additionally, the Pi4 performs considerably better in every metric over the Pi3. You'll find multiple reports on the HA forums from people switching to the Pi4 and experiencing a huge performance increase.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Adding to that...

The PC based install is just sooooo much faster. From clicking restart in Home Assistant, it is back up and working in less than 6 seconds. A complete host restart takes less than 20 seconds. Restarting on the Pi3 was a several minute affair, depending on the amount of addons installed.

My machine is a low-end Lenovo Tiny PC with i3-4300U CPU, 8GB RAM, and a 120GB SSD. I paid less than $100 for it from eBay about 3 years ago.

Specifically I used the "Home Assistant Supervised" installation method: https://www.home-assistant.io/installation/linux#install-home-assistant-supervised

stevewm
May 10, 2005

n0tqu1tesane posted:

For a while now, I've wanted to get a weather station to put the data into my Home Assistant instance to track temperature, wind, and rainfall. Didn't really want to spend a ton of money on it, and the ones with built-in web access to the data were more than I wanted to spend.

I did notice, however, that my neighbor has one mounted on his roof. After a bit more research, I bought a $20 RTL-SDR dongle for my Home Assistant server, and now I'm just borrowing the data from my neighbor's weather station.

Alternatively there is the "WeeWX" project. This software can pull the data from many weather stations, so if you already have one of them, it can make use of it. I have a cheap Acurite "5-n-1" station with a display. The display has a USB port on it meant for Acurite's PC connection software. WeeWX can interface with this to pull the data from the weather station and output it as MQTT. I installed WeeWX on a old Pi2b I had laying around and connected it to the Acurite display. It spits all the info out to HA via MQTT.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
If you don't have one already, you might consider getting a combo Zwave/Zigbee stick, like this one: https://www.amazon.com/GoControl-CECOMINOD016164-HUSBZB-1-USB-Hub/dp/B01GJ826F8 (note this model is US frequencies only). This expands the sensors and devices you can use quite a bit.

Combo sticks show up as 2 different devices you have to pass through.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Red_Fred posted:

Thanks for this. I played around with HA a few years ago but found it really obtuse and confusing. Although it maybe didn’t help I was running it in docker on a NAS.

It's quite a different animal now. Almost everything can be done with the GUI. Additionally the UI is heavily customizable, from the UI itself. And it has an actual onboarding process!

The few remaining things that require config file editing are generally more advanced things, bleeding edge stuff, or unofficial integrations.

Last year I started completely over with my setup. I didn't have to touch a single YAML file. I was quite surprised.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Motronic posted:

The only part I don't like is running a windows box to run Blue Iris, but there really wasn't a decent non-windows NVR option (ZoneMinder was a complete and total disaster at the time I looked at it and even ran it for a few months....it is hopefully a lot better now)

I ran that quest recently. Newsflash: it hasn't changed much.

I always came back to Blueiris. Bought a license. I love the DeepStack stuff it has now. It works great! Put a GTX1060 in had laying around in it and installed the GPU version of DeepStack. It has no problem keeping up with object detection on my 3 cameras. (Which are Amcrest 4k PoE units i got off Amazon).

I already had a Windows machine running Plex server, and a few other things. So Blueiris it was.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Just be warned, the Tuya integration is kinda unreliable, mostly because Tuya makes breaking changes to the API on a regular basis. It's also quite involved to set it up.

Even though it's officially supported by Tuya now, this aspect of it hasn't changed. They will change the API and then update the integration weeks later.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Both of my pressure sensors caught it as well..

Pressure sensor on a ESP8266 in my garage, graph via Home Assistant

Pressure sensor on an Accurite 5n1 weather station, graph via WeeWX

It was just a little after 9:30AM local time on January 15th. This lines up with the graphic I saw on Twitter showing the wave propagating across the entire US. Located in south-eastern Indiana.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
If you have a weather station that has an output port, chances are WeeWX (https://weewx.com/) can talk to it.... And you can use that to get the data into other apps.

I got one of those cheap 5n1 AccuRite stations for $79 at my local Rural King. The display has a USB port. Discovered the WeeWX project which can read the data coming out of this port and spit it back out as MQTT to Home Assistant. So I installed it on a RaspiPi 2b I had laying around and connected to the USB port on the display.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
If anyone is in the market for good RGB bulbs.. I have been very impressed with Philips WiZ bulbs. They are pretty cheap at Home Depot.

You do have to install the integration via HACS currently in Home Assistant. (https://github.com/sbidy/wiz_light) But the integration is very complete, it supports everything the Wiz app does, and it uses the bulb's local UDP control interface instead of cloud. WiZ even sent the developer of the HA integration a ton of bulbs for testing.

The integration was just recently merged into the Dev version of HA and will be natively included in the next major HA release, so the HACS version will no longer be updated.

I have a few of these bulbs now. And they just work, and work well. Can't say the same for any of the terrible Tuya based bulbs I've tried.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Just wanted to share something I finally got working... I thought it would be easy, but I was wrong.

I wanted detection of certain objects on my driveway camera to send me an alert and also a snapshot of what it seen.

I have a couple of cameras connected to Blueiris, which is set up with DeepStack so it can recognize objects. BlueIris has the ability to send notifications directly via text or email, but you need a SMTP server to send them. I already had HA and the HA companion app sending other notifications, so I wanted to utilize that existing platform if at all possible.

Well... BlueIris can be set up to send MQTT messages into HA. After much trial and error, I got BlueIris sending notifications into HomeAssistant, and then HA sending the notifications onwards to me. Great! But I wanted to add pictures, this is were the hard part came in. BlueIris can send the actual detection snapshot over MQTT as a base64 encoded message, but Home Assistant can't do anything with it. I tried setting up Home Assistant to take a snapshot directly from the camera and send that, but this process took so long to occur, that the object was sometimes not even in the frame anymore by the time the snapshot was taken.

Eventually I found out about Home Assistant media sources... HA can access these and send any media in them directly to the companion app, including inside notifications. Media Sources expects the media to be in a folder on the HA server, but this folder can be a mounted file share. I created a mount to the file share containing the BI alert images (quite difficult to do on the HA OS if you are not familiar with Docker and how it works!), and setup a media folder in my HA configuration. Additionally I had to setup BI to send the alert file name in the MQTT message.

The result:

In all this I also discovered another limitation. By default the HA companion app uses both Websocket and Google's FCM messaging platforms to pass notifications depending on if the screen is on or not. Well notifications using FCM have a limitation they cannot be over 4KB in size. So if the notification is delivered over FCM, the picture is not attached. This is only a limitation if using Android. To get around this you have to enable "persistent websocket connection" in the HA Companion app and have your HA instance so it accessible outside of your home network. Or have HA Cloud/Nabu Casa enabled which avoids having to expose your HA instance to the Internet.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Looking to change the rest of my light switches out. What is the recommended Zwave/Zigbee/Wifi wall switch these days? (US) Dimmable or non-dimmable. Preferably one that doesn't require any cloud service. Will be used with Home Assistant.

Edit: Looks like I am going with Zooz... Reasonable price, and actually in stock.

They also have a nice switch/scene controller combo, the ZEN32. Ordered one of these as well. Up to 35 different triggers with various button combinations!

stevewm fucked around with this message at 20:14 on May 4, 2022

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Seeing as the 2022.04 update of Home Assistant was removing the old classic ZWave I finally did the migration over to ZwaveJS. I decided to go with Zwave2mqtt instead of the base ZwaveJS. It has a much better control panel than the base ZwaveJS. It was actually painless process. They made it basically automatic. Click the button, follow the instructions. You have to migrate BEFORE you install 2202.4 or later.

Also installed my Honeywell T6 Pro zwave tstat. This thing has so many parameters available it took 10 minutes for the initial node "interview" to complete. So far it works well and looks nice.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Installed one of these a couple days ago...

Zooz ZEN32 scene controller...

Pretty nice device. Can activate up to 35 scenes through various button actions. And the LEDs can be individually changed to 4 different colors via Zwave configuration commands. The large button controls the attached load, but can optionally be disabled and become just a scene button.

I set up an automation in Home Assistant for the bottom right button to open/close my garage door and also change the LED to show status of the door. Green for closed, red for open.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Found someone on Reddit who offered to sell me their new-in-box Inovelli combo fan/light switch. (on the left in the picture) These things are great... come with a module that you install into the fan canopy. Gives you separate control of the fan and light. Unfortunately they are near impossible to get right now. Inovelli hasn't been making any due to component shortages. I really could use a second one for my other ceiling fan.

It at first didn't want to join into my Zwave network. I messed around with it for over half an hour before I realized I had forgot to flip one of the breakers back on and half of my Zwave nodes where still offline. Opps...

Exposes 5 different entities in Home Assistant:

Fan w/ speed control (only 3 speed steps)
Light control with dimming
An entity that turns the fan and light off simultaneously.
Live power usage
Power Consumption.

Button pushes also trigger Zwave central scene events. And the LED indicators can be changed to different colors and intensities and used as notification/indicators if desired.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

BigFactory posted:

I’ve had a bunch of robot vacuums and the only one I had that I actually liked was the first generation neato. The machine was pretty solid and customer service was outstanding. But I think they’re all very expensive and they die quickly. I use a broom.

I agree with this statement. My first generation Neato was the best one. It did a fantastic job. It's only downfall was the NiMH battery. I rarely got more than 7-8 months out of them before they would no longer complete the job on a full charge. More than once it woke me up coming into my bedroom at 1am to finish the job it started earlier that day.

I still have it boxed up somewhere. I do see they have managed to make a compatible Li-ion battery replacement for them. I wonder if those are any better... I do have all hard floors now, might be worth resurrecting it.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
BlueIris is one go-to software for broad camera support. It has support for that specific camera

I've used BI for my home CCTV system for 2 years now. Quite happy with it

stevewm
May 10, 2005
If anyone is looking for a decent multi-channel energy monitoring solution that works with Home Assistant. The Emporia Vue2 is a good contender. It is a ESP32 based device that can monitor up to 200A per phase for 3 phases, and up to 50A on individual circuits. So it should be good for most domestic electrical installations. $164 USD for the 16 circuit version.

I just installed one this weekend in my main panel. I bought the 16-circuit version as I just happen to have exactly 16 circuits in my panel.

It works with Home Assistant via Emporia's cloud API using a community plugin (https://github.com/magico13/ha-emporia-vue), however the device can be flashed to ESPHome using this project: https://github.com/emporia-vue-local/esphome. Once flashed to ESPHome it is a completely local device and updates readings every 2 seconds. Works perfectly with Home Assistant's energy system.

On a different note, when I opened my panel I found quite a bit of dryer lint.. :stonk: This led me to discover my dryer vent sprung a leak under the house at some point in the past year and airflow from under the house was making it up the wall cavity into the panel box, taking the lint with it. So I got to fix that as well this weekend.

stevewm fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Feb 6, 2023

stevewm
May 10, 2005
I am another one using BlueIris. 2 Amcrest branded 4k cameras. Works great. Utilizing the DeepStack integration in BlueIris for object detection. I already had a Windows machine that runs 24/7 (Plex Server) so I put BlueIris on that. Later I ended up throwing in a Nvidia 1060 that a friend gave me. DeepStack can make use of CUDA; this greatly accelerates object detection runs. Running on the CPU object detection generally took around 1000ms. With CUDA it is less than 100ms most of the time.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Finally got a Emporia Vue2 energy monitor installed on both of my electrical panels. Flashed both to ESPHome.

Really digging Home Assistant's Energy system. Works well with multiple monitoring sources.

Finally have some insight on how much charging my car really costs. I figured it was the biggest user of energy in my house, and I was correct. Also discovered my Plex/BlueIris server typically uses more energy than my water heater per day. (it is the "Bedroom/Hall" circuit in this picture.)

A lot of info!

Garage panel with Emporia installed

House panel with Emporia installed.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Hed posted:

That is really cool! Thanks for all the pictures. What does "Flashing to ESPHome" mean? Is that just replacing whatever software/firmware came on the emporia device with something else?

In its stock form, the device is supported in Home Assistant via a community maintained integration. But that integration relies on Emporia's cloud service to get readings. Being a ESP32 based device, it can be flashed with a ESPHome based firmware that turns it into a completely local device that works natively inside Home Assistant. Flashing does require knowledge of flashing ESP devices and a bit of soldering however.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

This is really awesome, nice job! Did you de-energize your entire house during installation? Or you didn't have to since you're just clamping the monitors on?

We're a family of 7 and our electric bill is always sky high so I'd love to have this setup on my house. I'm pretty heavily invested in Homebridge/HomeKit, so it would be a huge pain to switch to HA I think.

I did it with the panels live, but I am comfortable working around electricity and know what not to touch. If you are not, I would suggest getting something like this professionally installed.

In addition to the clamps there are 4 wires that need to be connected. Red and Black each need to go to a breaker so that it can monitor the voltage of both hot legs. (assuming US split phase power). The blue and white need to go to the neutral. I did turn off and remove the breakers to attach the wires, as I had to pigtail them off existing breakers. They even include 2 pigtail wires and some wire nuts in the box for this.

The Emporia will work completely standalone in its stock form. It feeds the data into Emporia's cloud service which is accessed via a website or app. It has similar functionality as far as tracking power usage.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

priznat posted:

Oh that is neat. So it's just current sense clamps on all the circuits? very cool.

It would be nice if panels started having the facility to have this a little more built in!

Sense clamps on each hot leg and on every circuit. For 240v circuits, you only put a clamp on one of the legs and tell the software to double the readings on that circuit. There are 4 wires that have to be connected. 2 to 2 different breakers, and the remaining 2 to neutral. I pigtailed off 2 existing breakers.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

movax posted:

Do you miss having the Emporia app / seeing it on your phone? I have three Vues and haven't set up HA integration (yet), but in the ~2-3 years I've had them, I can't complain too much about the ability to export my data + the app has been pretty good.

However, the stock SW seems to have trouble understanding my solar setup / I'm not 100% on how to configure it correctly. My solar backfeeds through my rear subpanel, which is shared with my hot tub, and I'm not sure if I need to flip both the main panel Emporia to think it has solar as well.

I never used them in their stock config with the Emporia app. They where flashed to ESPHome right out of the box. I use the Home Assistant companion app on my phone, which allows me to access anything added into HA.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

wolrah posted:

That is neat as gently caress and is definitely going on my list. For some reason I thought individual circuit-level monitoring solutions were more expensive than that.

Yeah that was my thought as well until I ran onto the Emporia devices thanks to a random Reddit post. My previous energy monitoring device (Aeotec Zwave home energy monitor) died back in December during a power outage, so I was looking for a replacement. It fit the bill quite well. And cheap enough I bought a 2nd one for my garage panel.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Same...

ZWave was more expensive then some other techs at the time, but at least it is 100% local.

And I made my own garage door opener with an ESP board (Adafruit Feather to be exact). Which later turned into a whole sensor platform for my garage; added multiple door sensors, motion sensor, temp sensor, etc.. ESPHome makes it easy.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Re: smart bulb chat

If anyone is looking for decent smart bulbs, I've been impressed with Wiz wifi bulbs.

They are ESP based, but using their own platform. Not the awful Tuya platform like so many cheap smart bulbs use.

No hub needed. The app is nice and works well. The bulbs have a documented local control API. They are natively supported by Home Assistant using that same local control API. Wiz contributed to Home Assistant support, so unlikely to ever have issues working in HA.

I think they can be flashed to one of the generic ESP firmwares, but really there is no need. The factory software works well.

They also have a cheap remote control that controls the bulbs directly using ESP-NOW if you want physical controls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Received a letter from my water company saying they had upgraded their meters to cellular and now near real-time usage can be viewed with an app called EyesOnWater.

Apparently this is a service provided by the manufacturer of the water meter and it is offered to utility companies for customer use. It has a documented and publicly available API. An API for which someone has already developed a custom integration for Home Assistant: https://github.com/kdeyev/eyeonwater

Was able to successfully add my water usage into Home Assistant. Looks like it updates about every 3-4 hours, so usage graphs can look a little wonky, but it works!

If you have a water meter with Badger Meter/Orion branding on it, check it out... Your water company might participate.