Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Can anyone recommend an external motion light that is also a wireless ip camera that can be used with blue iris/I-Spy ?

Also would prefer LED lamps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
All those things you just ask, I need to ask also. Did a full led swap inside and outside my house. And I want to do trail the exterior door lights and have them on a timer.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I have a battery first gen nest protect and a wired second gen. They both have worked perfectly the one or two times I made too much kitchen smoke.

I don't know how well they work with CO being on the ceiling, so I have a kedde CO sensor on each floor of the house at the floor level as well.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'm planning to add some lighting automation to my house as well as security monitoring cameras outside.

My current devices are:

Nest Thermostat, Nest indoor cam (no storage just use it to harass pets), 2 nest protect smoke/c02 detectors
Sonos audio in kitchen, living room and dressing room
Google Nexus Player/Android TV in bar room and theater room

What is the most logical way to go about introducing an automation system ? Is smartthings the way to go ? Is nest a dead end ? Sonos is currently a dead end but I believe they're attempting to expand their compatibility with other systems. There is limited Google Play Music casting functionality.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Frank Dillinger posted:

Jonathan; since I know you like overkill: Check out some of the dahua starlight ip cameras with varifocal lenses. I'm running mine with Blue Iris software, which notifies my phone when motion is detected. Low light vision is great, the sensors on those cams are pretty big.

Camera:

iPhone 7+:

Both pics taken at about the same time.

It's a 2mp sensor, don't need much more, and helps a lot with low light. not bad for 230$ shipped, IMO.

Thanks and the overkill compliment made me feel all warm inside.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlecTBevmzc

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
is a smartthings connected physical light switch connected to "dumb" LED lights a good way to set things up ? I don't need colour changing. I do want dimmable pot lights that can be controlled via plex or a remote such as a harmony hub.

If so, which switches seem to be the least headache ? Must work as a normal light switch if something goes wrong with the automation system.

Also, which deadbolt lock is the best ? I have Nest and plan on buying a smartthings hub, and a google home speaker.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I can't see anyone using colour functions from a wall very often unless you're trying to host EDM parties in your living room to get into the pants of doped up 16 year olds. The colour temp you choose is a set and forget kind of thing, and any sort of automated colour temp change would be scripted through the software.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Im pretty excited about telling google to set a time for my engine block heater so I don't have to run it all night.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

smackfu posted:

What do people use cameras for? High theft areas? General paranoia?

Wildlife especially in the winter. I get a family with baby deer that nest under a evergreen in my front yard whenever it's really cold (they venture into town from the nearby woods). Also the Moose like to chill in my driveway. With that said I have my cams coming in the mail. I set up some cheap poo poo ones (early in this thread) years ago but could never figure out how to tap into their stream. Then the birds decided to build nests on them.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

deong posted:

I'm in need of a wifi security camera.
My garage is not attached, but I think my wifi extends far enough. My area has a lot of break ins for bike theft (gentrified amirite), and I have more money tied up in my bikes than my car. I'd like to get something that can store at least 48hrs so I can keep all weekend.

Also, would it be better to put it inside the garage? I don't really give a poo poo what happens on the outside. The garage only has the roller door. No side door/windows, so its fairly secure that way.

I ignored a bunch of good advice from respected people in this thread and got a couple foscam fi9900p Cameras.

The were about $150 Canadian to my door and I'm really happy with them. They put the indoor nestcam I got for Christmas to shame.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
These leviton light z-wave switches. How the gently caress do I put them in pairing mode ? I got 2 of them to pair with SmartThings but purely by accident. The I structures say to look online for pairing procedure. SmartThings page literally says "push the button" which is wrong. It's a combination of using the top "air gap" button plus the normal switch button, but I can't tell.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I 100% agree with the above. I feel I'm in a special position because my yard and house entryway has very narrow choke points. It has a 200' driveway that forces anyone coming to the house to pass by one camera and a wide angle view isn't needed. So you can watch them from 200' away until right up to the cam. The other cam is for wildlife spotting. I get a family of deer including babies that nest in the front yard under shelter of a tree, and I've had several moose make homes in the back yard when the snow is deep and it's very cold.

I will post some examples of text etc once they're permanently mounted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Subjunctive posted:

With my Z-wave switches I had to put the hub into exclusion mode via the app, then press the switch until the app said that something was excluded. It then paired.

Ok so I got them paired. One of them works fine, and the other only works sometimes. It won't allow me to control it remotely, and if I hit the physical switch, it works. Also, the little light on the switch is supposed to be on when the switch is off, and off when the switch is one.

Well right now the switch is off (exterior light off) yet the indicator light on the switch is also off.

I also can't control it via the SmartThings app, but if I mess with it a bit I will regain control for a short period.