Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I just got a WyzeCam V2 because I'm a cheap butthead who saw the web price and features and grabbed one up at $20 straight from the company.

There's other features and stuff you can get from their website: https://www.wyzecam.com
I'm only mentioning the stuff relevant to my interests:

Pros:

PRICE! - $20 for 1080P!
Has infrared emitters (four 850 nm infrared LEDs) and night vision mode
Has microphone and speaker so you can say hello to your cats while they look around confused that they can't see your body
Has microSD slot so you can record locally
Camera can be shared with anyone you send an invite to (but they have to sign up with Wyze for an account)
iOS and Android client viewing apps
magnet is in base of camera, they supply plain metal plate you can tape or glue to things
Stand is surprisingly adjustable
They seem to be constantly updating the firmware every few weeks, updates done via the app

Cons:

Camera only shares via WiFi and direct connection to Wyze's servers over Internet
Doesn't work on 5 GHz WiFi networks, you need either a dual band router or 2.4 GHz
no direct connect to USB port to use like a standard camera (USB only used for power, supposedly)
no direct connect application, video shared only via their server
Built in speaker kinda hissy
Lots of feedback during some voice attempts
no screw mount included
USB port is for power only
no client apps for macOS or Windows, not even a browser based app

If you have any questions I'll try to answer them best I can.

Overall it's pretty drat good for only :20bux: and if you can trust WyzeCam with your video it's pretty secure.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Apr 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Cornjob posted:

I got three. For $20, product has the goods.

I'm still wondering how they're making money, maybe the camera only costs pennies to make?!

quote:

but def get the micro sd card for continuous recording.

Protip: upgrade the firmware as soon as you get it connected. Once you upgrade, power off, then power back on again; the camera remembers your network (if you set it up right) and connects automatically. Camera would not recognize the SD card until I did this. Decided to move over the 128 GB microSD I was using on my Switch to the camera; it recognizes all storage if you format as MBR / exFAT.

quote:

Sound quality is not great, but at least it has some. I could distinguish the ups truck driving up, but you can barely tell what people are saying when competing against other random outdoor noises.

Yeah that probably has to do with its indoor rating, they probably don't have enough CPU speed / installed custom chipset on this thing to do any noise reduction or filtering.

quote:

Like Binary Badger, im cheap, and didnt want to spend $ on monthly cloud. Im very pleased so far. My worr is theyll go under or get gobbled up by a competitor who starts charging.

Is it wrong to be cheap if you can get a good deal like this? :D

Maybe they're making money on enterprise setups?! Yeah, I hope they don't go under or it's $20 out the window, unless an ex-pat Wyze programmer jailbreaks the thing to become a direct connect client..

I'd get a V3 if it had 5 GHz WiFi..

A few other notes on it:

It has to be constantly plugged into a USB wall wart, but it's semi-unobtrusive and about the size of Apple's included USB charger included with iPhones.. it has the same specs, 5V @ 1A, you could probably use Apple's in a pinch..

The included power cable is only 5 ft. long, but 16 and 25 ft. power cables are available on Amazon.

My cats can tell when its night vision is active, somehow.

It only automatically records 12-15 second videos every 5 minutes; once it records and sends an alert to your phone, I guess you're expected to launch your app and start manually recording onto the SD card, because the camera has a 'cool down' period inserted after each auto-sensed recording, which seems ridiculous to me, but I guess it's how they can afford to rent 14-day AWS cloud services for everyone who buys one..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Apr 21, 2018

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Thanks for the industry insight, guess we'll see what happens.

BTW, Wyze says right up front that their camera has four 850 nm infrared LEDs.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

EugeneJ posted:

Ok question - I have an elderly relative whose caretaker wants to have a camera on her so that if the caretaker is out at the store or something, he can use his phone to drop in on the camera and check on her - the elderly woman isn't mobile and is always in a stationary position

Would a video doorbell be the best way to do this? That way the caretaker can drop in via phone and speak to the elderly woman

The caretaker suggested FaceTime, but can it be made so that the caretaker's call via phone automatically gets answered by the elderly woman's iPad that would be positioned facing her? Or would the woman have to manually answer the call?

I'm open to any other suggestions

FaceTime don't support no 'auto-answer' on ANY device.

Here's a suggestion: WyzeCam for $20 bucks. It comes with a magnetic mount/wall mount and actually has a microphone/speaker so you can carry on a (loud) conversation with whomever is in front of the camera. Even has night vision. Has an iOS/Android app that goes straight to the camera once it's all set up.

Only caveats are: Conversations can only be initiated by iOS/Android app checking in, camera can't call out; volume is not adjustable on camera's tiny little speaker, sound quality for two-way convo is akin to a cheap toy walkie-talkie at full volume, squelchy and sometimes distorted, and a 2.4 GHz wireless router and internet have to be already set up.

Also need an AC outlet less than 5 feet from where you want to place the camera, unless you want to buy a long 20ft cable that costs as much as the camera itself.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 13:57 on May 10, 2018

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Shut up Meg posted:

But...only 12seconds of cloud storage? That seems pretty useless unless the thief happens to stare at the camera in the first 10 secs of breaking in

Ehhhhhhhh, let me break this down for you.

Ok, so you go to Micro Center and pick up a Wyze Cam ($20) or a Wyze Cam Pan ($30.)

You set it up by using the iOS / Android app that Wyze provides (no desktop apps for some inexplicable reason) by scanning a code the app throws on the screen with the camera itself (kinda neat security wise.) It joins your 2.4 GHz (only, no 5 GHz) WiFi net and off you go.

You shove in the cheapest microSD card you can find (there are 'high endurance' microSD's on the market now that get used in dashboard cams but the cheapo HK ones that MicroCenter sells seem fine enough, had em for three months and no signs of corruption or damage) format it with the built-in cam software and you're all set.

Then there's other stuff to set up, like camera sensitivity, detection zone, and on the Pan you get to set up waypoints in its 360 degree view, which is handy as it will cycle every 10 seconds to a waypoint in the order you create them.

In the app, you have two screens, one lets you jump directly to controlling the camera, another screen lists 'Events.'

Now, HERE is where the 12-second limit isn't really much of one. Events show you 12 seconds worth of what the camera sees as the event begins, but if you go to a different screen it displays a timeline of videos where you can see the entire event which is usually much longer. The real video is stored in the microSD card.

So, in effect, the 12-second videos are just pointers / placeholders / chapter markers you can use to decide which videos to go to in the timeline view.

You can be a cheap bastard and only live with the free 12-second videos on cloud storage provided by Wyze, or you can man up and buy a microSD card and enjoy the full videos. I use a 256 GB micro SD and it's totally enough to jump back to 2 weeks worth of videos. 2 weeks is the limit to the 12-second previews.

The Wyze system does have a boatload of limitations (2.4 GHz only, only 2K resolution (1920 * 1080), mediocre camera that does its best in bright daylight only, cloud storage is some shadowy address in China, other poo poo) but for the Typical Cheap Buttheaded Goon, at its low low price, it hits a lot of points. It also has a speaker so you can use your best Internet Tough Guy voice to scare intruders/strangers away (if its mounted outside) or beg them not to take your priceless Ming vase with the capsaicin bomb inside.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Shut up Meg posted:

I don't want to just dismissively handwave away your excellent and helpful post, but it still has the basic issue: there's no point in capturing excellent footage if it's only available on an SD card that is currently sitting at the botttom of a river after the thief ripped the camera off my lounge wall whilst stealing my valuables. Perhaps we are thinking of different use cases, but for me, this is a major weakness.

Yeah, thanks :)

I cycle between several different microSD cards, but you're right that it's useless if the camera is in an accessible location where it can be burgled at the same time as the incident.

Still good for cases like watching a porch for assholes swiping packages left by lazy UPS/FedEx/'name one' couriers.

I'm gonna go and say that for $30, Wyze isn't selling it as a super secure system, more of 'good enough for the money depending on the situation' solution.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

I'd hesitate to use the Nest system if I were in the situation where I might be embroiled in some legal hash and someone got the bright idea to send a letter to Google typed out by the highest ranking paralegal in the lawyer's office to find out "was Binary J. Badger recorded at being home by his Nest on the night of Elemberish the 22nd, 2015?"

Because Google, seeing the legal letterhead, would immediately give up that information in less than the space of a hummingbird's heartbeat if that happened.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Something that hardcore might be better addressed in the networking thread?

Well, I have both WyzeCams which are likely similar to her $20 Amazon cheapie; they link to servers whose physical location is in China; I've never seen anything other than traffic to those specific servers, even for firmware updates, but that's all I feel like gleaning about them.

I'm a little concerned about them being in China, but I'm pretty sure watching birbs, cats, and raccoons/possums in the backyard isn't going to be very racy for anybody.

The only concern would be that once that company decides to fold, her camera becomes super useless if they close down the servers; I went with Wyze since they're actively engaged with their users and if they managed to land a deal with MicroCenter, they're not going away anytime soon.

If the camera uses a generic camera, it should be possible to flash its firmware so that it could point to a location of your own choosing, like maybe if you set up your own server just to store vids.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Nov 18, 2019

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Same here, I feel I get pretty good value with the Wyze Cams, especially the Pan Cam.

So far their firmware updates have been constant, they're introducing new products, they're engaging their customers and being friendly to the hobbyist base, and no one's exposed any huge exploits in their IOT system.

Also, $40 for a 1080p pannable camera with night vision, speaker, motion detection aint bad at all. Would have to cough up $180+ for the nearest equivalent, probably an Arlo.

Maybe about the only thing they need to work on is that motion detection.. they recently announced that they lost their AI vendor for the motion detection and are working on their own; getting a little annoyed at having to tell them 'Yes, I saw some rear end in a top hat' every time I view a vid in the cloud, but I'll put up with it if I get decent motion detection.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Dec 25, 2019

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

WyzeCam users: upgrading to the latest firmware ending in .98 will remove the XNOR AI that allows the camera to detect people.

If you want to keep the people finder feature, don't upgrade your WyzeCam.

They say that they'll have an in-house developed AI available.. sometime.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

FCKGW posted:

Wyze are selling their cameras pretty cheap so yeah, they wanna recoup some of those dev costs.

They seem to have a pretty nerdy engineering team however (they were a Kickstarter company originally) and have been doing little things that benefit their community like releasing fw that enables the cameras to be used as webcams back when the whole WFH webcam shortage hit pretty hard.

Yeah I'll throw kudos at the Wyze guys, too.. I had bought a bad Pan Cam (motor kept seizing) but they shipped me a replacement pretty quickly; they also listen to their users and patch their firmware regularly and seem to be pretty pumped about fixing bugs.. I was getting the fragment error a lot but they just uploaded a new firmware a day ago and it's fixed..

If I remember correctly that HTTP firmware is not officially supported..

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

So being a cheapass that doesn't want to pay for an Arlo, but wanting something better than the WyzeCam, I picked up a Eufy Indoor Pan and Tilt cam. It's got HomeKit compatibility, but it cuts the resolution of the cam to 1080P only, it's higher without.

It feels like they made this specifically to compete with the WyzeCam Pan; it's a little more expensive but it feels like a much more polished product.

The image quality is better than the WyzeCam, and its AI is leaps and bounds ahead of Wyze's. Wyze is still developing their AI and they have the temerity to charge you extra per month for it!

The Eufy IPT's AI can distinguish between pets and people, and can ignore things like swaying branches and falling leaves. The WyzeCam AI currently thinks moving branches, shadows, and advancing sunlight are people. They're working on it, but it's annoying that they keep prompting me to submit my videos to their database to help them fix their currently retarded AI.

The WyzeCam Pan AI does have more granularity in that motion sensitivity is a sliding scale from 0 to 100; the Eufy motion sensitivity is five toggles on an increasing scale; TBQH this feels better than the sliding scale, if for nothing else trying to get the difference between 68% and 69-70% is incredibly fiddly.

Motion tracking on the Eufy IPT is much smoother and feels more polished and tweaked than on the Wyze.

The Eufy comes with a small bracket, screws and anchors; the Wyze Cam comes with a metal plate, the bottom of the cam is magnetized...

Eufy Security app and the WyzeCam app both support 2FA, although the WyzeCam 2FA supports a backup number in case your primary phone gets lost or stolen..

One big advantage in my opinion is the ability to visit a web portal to access your cam, the Eufy provides this while the WyzeCam doesn't. The web portal also has 2FA authentication. A big plus, since there is currently no official desktop app for Wyze or Eufy.. for PCs there's a Chrome extension, but nothing for Macs.

(Nox App Player and BlueStacks offer a way to emulate the Android app on a Mac, but they're unwieldy and slow to launch..)

If the Eufy has any glaring flaws, it's the fact that it has 96 degrees of tilt but only from the horizontal up; the WyzeCam Pan does 93 degrees of tilt so it's like 41.5 degrees up and down; the Eufy does all 96 degrees up from the horizontal only, which suggests that if you need the tilt you should mount it upside down..

Eufy is a division of Anker, and Anker makes great USB hubs, cables, and chargers..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Nov 4, 2020

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Make sure you updated to the latest firmware, which should be 2.0.8.9.

Oh yeah, also forgot to mention the Eufy IPT has the option to let you record direct to a local NAS, the Wyze only allows cloud and direct to SD..

Detection's been perfect on mine, its been windy out and the IPT hasn't give me a false alarm yet. Meanwhile on my Wyze which is pointed at the same scene since sunrise, it's considered waving branches on a bush as a person five times and classified general motion three times.

Wyze had recently lost the rights to a decent motion AI several months ago, and are continuing to tweak an imperfect in-house AI; they're tryin', but why should I settle when $20 more in one shot gives me a finished working AI?

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Nov 4, 2020

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

japtor posted:

Nice, what are the recording options, their cloud and SD card it seems? Can you access the latter remotely?

On Wyze it's all done through their iOS/Android app.

Yes, you can access the movies/pics remotely, again through the iOS/Android app.

Wyze doesn't have a desktop app yet, though, and that's somewhat annoying.

If you want to see the recordings on a desktop/laptop they recommend you use an Android emulator like BlueStacks and use their app in that emulator.

I only just realized that technically, if you have an M1 Mac, you could download the iOS app and run it in macOS if you wanted it there..

Eufy lets you visit a centralized web page that you can add 2FA authorization to for viewing your recordings, but then you have to pay for their cloud. They do let you have a 30 day trial to see if it floats your boat.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

EwokEntourage posted:

Yea you lose a lot. Cant find this on the website but this is from the eufy app showing what features you lose in HomeKit https://imgur.com/a/36cJNok

I own a Eufy 2K and it's pretty neat, and I don't run it in HomeKit mode as I find everything I need in the Eufy Security app.

What's also neat about the Eufy is that if you spring for their cam cloud, you can access your videos from Eufy's secured website with 2-factor authentication, meaning you don't have to keep going to your phone to view vids, you can do so on your laptop. WyzeCam doesn't do this, it's still app bound.

Also, you'd normally have to spend 2-3x the price to get the 2K resolution, which comes in handy if you're using it to cover a large area..

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

So I got a WyzeCam v3; it's basically the v2 with a lot of tweaks, and still a good value for only the $20 I paid.

The resolution is the same as the v2 (1920 * 1080) but the sensor is way way better; it's sensitive enough to detect first magnitude stars if you felt like pointing it at the sky instead of a street or driveway. Video is crisp and clean, nearly perfect in daylight and good color definition even at night.

It now has two sets of IR emitters, for short and long range; great for unlit passageways and entrances.

The v3 is also now an indoor/outdoor camera with IP 65 resistance. Also the USB plug is now a standoff plug, it doesn't plug into the camera body anymore which I find a vastly better arrangement for positioning the cam.

Frame rate is also beefed up somewhat, from 15 fps daytime in the v2 to 20 fps daytime in the v3.

Mounting options included are exactly the same as the v2, two screws with anchors, magnetic plate, etc.

2-way talk is smoother, and they added a siren controlled from the app if you want to give someone a good scare or piss off the wildlife.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

sharkytm posted:

Where'd you find one? They seem to be perpetually OOS.

If you're a subscriber to their CAM plus cloud service, they'll give you first preference whenever they get a batch made.

Wyze is blaming the v3 availability on industry wide raw material shortages.. which is weird because I just read even Ford Motor is scaling down their production of F-150 trucks because they can't get enough chips for their onboard computer-controlled systems?!

Also forgot to mention it's still 2.4 GHz for WiFi only. Some people have complained that they can't get them to hook up with Netgear Orbi mesh systems properly because they force the same name to be used for both 2.4 and 5 GHz. This is fixable by, of all things, telnetting into the Orbi and using some commands to define a separate name for 5 GHz.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Feb 7, 2021

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Welp, when Wyze decides it's got enough chips to upgrade the Wyze Cam Pan to the V3 camera technology (better night vision, clarity) I'm going to sell off/donate the Eufy version.

Why, you ask? Because the Eufy AI is mega retarded; it can't tell the difference between tree shadows and actual living people.

The end result is that I spend ten minutes doing nothing but deleting false positives daily on the Eufy and relying on the Wyze to actually tell me what the poo poo is going on.

Right now, the only edge that the Eufy has is that it takes better stills/video, but it needs work badly on its AI.

Wyze had a fallout with their third party AI vendor, and had recently switched to an in-house AI that they spent the better part of the pandemic tweaking.

At first it was super-stupid and recorded at the drop of a hat, but now it has become quite dependable / intelligent / reliable, much more so than Eufy, who appears to be trying to fix their AI but falling on their face repeatedly while doing it. The Eufy AI also can't seem to admit that sun glare is not a valid trigger, but the Wyze does just fine.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Insurrectum posted:

Well this is fun. I believe our house was cased. At around 10PM I'm sitting at my in-laws and just so happened to flick on my Wyze cam when I see a car parked in front of our house. Not a big deal, happens sometimes—we live in a fairly dense suburb and our neighbors often have people over, and I wouldn't be surprised if he hosted a Christmas party. But then two young (early/mid 20s, african american) guys jump out, and they do NOT look like my (middle-aged white guy) neighbors buddies. They then proceed to go up to our door, knock, wait a minute, and then leave. While leaving, the one guy turns around and scans our bedroom windows, definitely trying to see if someone's home.

Nope. Not fun, should have just turned on the siren (all the Wyze cams have one) if the Wyze is mounted outside.

quote:

After showing the videos to my wife and inlaws, everyone agrees they look suspicious. I then called the police to report it, and also called our friends in the area to drop by and turn on all of our lights. The police said they'd drive by (they never did :shrug:), but our friends did come over.

Unless a crime actually occurred, like them swiping a flower pot or breaking a window, they'd likely show up, but if no crime occurred they're not going to bother, unless you're connected to someone in the precinct..

quote:

I then proceeded to watch the cameras like a hawk and kind of felt like a paranoid idiot until, lo and behold, the same car comes around 2:00AM and makes a U-Turn when they see our lights are on. Thankfully I have cameras stationed all around my house so I'm able to keep watch, but I think I'm going to have to really up my deterrent/security game.

The Lutron / Hue suggestions would work if they could be set up to turn your lights on or throw a spotlight at the entrance, but it'd be the same as turning on the Wyze sirens or turning on the speaker and yelling at them.

Dog useful if you feel like the upkeep, but slightly more of a deterrent than the sirens.

AR-15, depends on stand your ground laws in your state and you actually being in the house when they drop by.. The Fentanyl mines would also be pretty harmful to your neighbors and open you to lawsuits if they go off while your neighbor's grabbing his morning paper..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Dec 28, 2021

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

IUG posted:

In the Northeast we’re about to get a lot of snow. Is there any way on iOS or MacOS to get a time lapse video from my HomeKit Eufy security camera(s)? Or at least snap a picture from them every 5 minutes and save them on my computer?

Wyze will let you do this, its iOS app will let you pick a start / end time for the timelapse and even the interval you want.

I have the Eufy Pan & Tilt cam, I run the Eufy app and not the Home app, I find the Home app too limited in comparison.

You could enable RTSP on the Eufy, set it to continuous, then use a script or something to grab a vid/pic at a specified interval..

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Wyze's cam server(s?) are down, can't access my cams even though I have one of their crappy local base stations.

Good thing I have the Eufy cams as backup, though their IR capability isn't quite as good.

This is like the second time this year this has happened..

Edit: aaaand they're back up. To their credit, it looks like the cams were still dutifully recording events, its just that the phone app AND their crappy beta website thought there were no cameras on my account

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Apr 6, 2022

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Keep in mind that (at least on my Eufy indoor cam) if you add it to HomeKit, you lose a lot of the cooler features like higher resolution and the AI stuff (person tracking and crying notifications, in my case). Might want to double-check you don't lose that with whatever model you are looking at.

Have the Eufy Pan/Zoom and a couple of other models; I use them solely with the timphone app and the somewhat crappy beta web portal and keep the 2K resolution.

The motion tracking is kind of crap, for me it can't be trained to ignore rain and it often needs recalibration as it never wants to return exactly to its home position.

Its firmware just got an update, but it seems to be chiefly to include a notice to people that their streams in the cloud arent secure, which is a sore spot.

They are offering some fancy schmancy Edge AI that can identify individual people but only on their two newest battery driven cameras that cost north of $550 with the base station.

All their sub-$200 offerings remain exactly the same as they were a year ago

FWIW I have been getting better surveillance from the Wyze stuff, they don't have calibration wander as bad as the Eufys on their Pan/Zoom models, and the true 2.5K resolution on the Wyze Cam 3 Pro is perfect for my use (though I have a dedicated AP for my IoT poo poo.)

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Dec 12, 2022

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

So Wyze is now offering the Wyze Cam Pan v3. It looks like a white version of the robot from the 1957 film Kronos, except that both cubes are the same size.

Judging from the specs, it's basically the Cam Pan v2 split in half, with the camera now in a smaller enclosure with an IP65 level of water resistance, so it's now suitable for outdoor use.

Also it appears to have four 850 nm IR LEDs as opposed to the six 940 nm IR LEDs in the Cam Pan v2. As 940 nm IR LEDs are supposed to be more covert, some may consider the IR in the V3 to be a downgrade.

The vertical range of the camera is now only 93 degrees, while the v2 has 180 degrees; this is because the camera is now mounted in a rotating upper assembly; when it's pointed straight down, it's considered to be in privacy mode as it's literally looking at itself in the most downward position.

I'll probably post a trip report when my v3s come in, though they won't replace all of the v2s I have installed because of the changes in spec.

Anyone wanting to upgrade should consider the words in their spiel: "Built to feel less like a security camera and more like a cute little robot"

Edit: it's actually a repackaged version of the Atom camera sold only in Japan; the OEM seems to be using the same components as the rest of the Wyze Cam line.

The WCP v3 seems like they took the v2, cut it in half, made each half into its own cube, and used a slightly different motor / transmission to facilitate pan/tilt.

The v3 motor / transmission is supposed to be quieter than the v2's, though I don't ever seem to remember anyone complaining about the noise level.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jan 11, 2023

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

IUG posted:

Is there a good indoor infrared light just to help a night time camera? To be more specific, we moved our baby monitor from right next to the crib to across the room. But the camera isn’t projecting enough light to make the bedroom really visible.

You need to find out what wavelength your camera's IR is rated at; typically most night time home cameras use 850 nm, so here's an example of what you'd use for that:

https://www.amazon.com/Tendelux-Illuminator-BI8-Powerful-Infrared/dp/B0771GQMPT/

Some use 940 nm, which has the advantage of not giving off a visible red shine like 850 nm emitters do. Just do a search under 'IR illuminator' on Amazon and you should eventually find what you need

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

https://www.theverge.com/2024/2/16/24074799/wyze-outage-security-camera-smart-home-down-offline

Just in case anyone here picked up a WyzeCam, many of their cameras are boat anchors at the moment due to a 'partner' outage.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Feb 16, 2024