Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

tuyop posted:

What lightbulbs should I be looking at if I’m only interested in HomeKit and I want wild colours as well as a range of normal lightbulb temperatures?
I got these Vocolinc wifi ones for some lamps and have no complaints. But if you need a crapload of lights maybe one of the hub based ones would be better? :iiam: (I'm not sure of the technical merits/drawbacks between the two). But anyway it does whatever colors you want, whether wacky or normal cool to warm white hues. I don't know if you can do the fancy HomeKit new adaptive lighting thing with them, but I already had a similar automation for that based on my own schedule. I just try to use the manufacturer apps as little as possible, although iirc the Vocolinc app already had something similar built in.

MrOnBicycle posted:

Are any of the on the market popular home automation ecosystems even remotely decent when it comes to privacy? I mean Google, Amazon etc are not even worth considering, but what about any others?
How many major players are even there outside of them? Apple is the obvious one, I think Samsung and LG have stuff too, but it seems like 90% of it is through Google/Amazon...or some hodgepodge of stuff I'd trust even less than them (and most of those work through Google/Amazon too).

Would Home Assistant count, or Homebridge (in conjunction w/HomeKit), or is it kinda moot privacy wise since the devices themselves still use the other services?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

FCKGW posted:

Apple Homekit stuff since they aren’t literally an advertising company.

Devices like TP-link have local APIs so you can use them even without cloud access.
Related note about TP-Link, I have their wifi/router and block some devices from there, and they still work with HomeKit remotely (while using my Apple TV as a hub at least). Course it doesn't stop devices from potentially snooping around and doing stuff on the LAN but whatever :shrug:, and still have to let them through for updates I think.

For the record the Vocolinc bulbs haven't tried phoning home afaik, but my Meross smart plug did before.

There's some fancier routers with HomeKit support that iirc can put the stuff on their own LAN separated from everything else and can control access outside, no clue how/if it that'd work with Homebridge though.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Holy poo poo, there's a Homebridge plugin for my Pentair pool controls. I can now use Siri to mess with the pool pump, turn the spa on, change the temperature, change the color of the lights, turn on the cleaner. All instead of Pentair's app that they don't ever update. This rules.

Thanks, dude who suggested Homebridge!
Yeah it owns, I set it up for HomeKit support my garage (myQ). It has official support through another piece of hardware but it doesn't seem all that great, almost went for that when I noticed there was a Homebridge docker package for my NAS too (Synology). Course myQ breaks the plugin semi regularly it seems but the dev is really active about updating at least.

And one extra note about that, Siri doesn't allow opening garages except when authenticated. So the watch works, and iPhone works if unlocked, while HomePod or headphones on the phone ask you to unlock the phone first. But apparently it has no problem if there's an automation trigger for whatever random unsecured device to open it :psyduck:. So I used a dummy switch to open, only weirdness is I have to say to turn it "on" rather than "open" it.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Yeah I’d like to do the myQ thing. I’ve seen the Chamberlain hub on sale left and right, but my opener is 20 years old and isn’t supported. Thought about just getting a new Chamberlain opener with native support but I can’t stand the whole IFTTT poo poo where they used to charge $1/month just to connect it to the app. I know now it’s free, but they also say they can revoke that anytime. Super scummy.
There's this Best Buy/Insignia thing, I would've tried that myself instead but the myQ enabled ones like mine aren't compatible (hell I had to get an adapter just for my car's older built in opener). Looking on Amazon it seems like there's some other HomeKit options, otherwise it looks like there's a billion other non HomeKit ones which I assume would work with Homebridge.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Is there any way to organize my list of automations in the iOS Home app, or is it just seriously a massive list, sometimes without specifying devices?

If there is a way, I don’t know about it either.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I think the Anker/Eufy stuff can store locally either on SD card in camera or their security hub/video storage thing, although I'm not sure how it all works in regards to HomeKit. I have one of the compatible cameras and setting it to HomeKit disables some of the built in features, although I forget what exactly. And as far as their own features I'm not sure how it works with or if it needs to phone home for that stuff.

Another option might be non smart cameras and work with them all through Homebridge and/or the NAS, although I've only looked into it sparingly myself (...before just getting one of the cheap Eufy cams). Basically you'd get some ONVIF compatible camera and use a HomeKit plugin for that and/or recording software on the NAS.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

FCKGW posted:

It's good

v2

v3

Nice, what are the recording options, their cloud and SD card it seems? Can you access the latter remotely?

Xenomrph posted:

I wasn't sure if I should post this in the home automation thread or the Amazon Echo thread, so I'm putting it in both.
I got a new modem today, got it activated by my ISP, and now none of my smart bulbs are responding via Alexa. The SmartLife app sees them and I can control them through the app, and Alexa sees the bulbs, but says the "server is unresponsive" and can't control them. I tried restarting the router, removing every bulb from the Alexa app, disabling the SmartLife skill, re-enabling it and re-linking my account, and having Alexa re-discover all of the devices (which it did), and it says they're "ready to be controlled" but they're still unresponsive.

All the other "smart" stuff in my house works just fine (Amazon smart plug, smart microwave, Google Nest thermostat).

I don't know what I'm doing wrong here.
I want to say check to see if the new modem is routing and giving you a double NAT situation, which might be loving with things, but I feel like if all the apps can see it and stuff it should still be ok. I have a security DVR setup at work with that modem situation and works through their external connection service.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Murgos posted:

Thanks, the Eufy Cam 2 with Homekit Secure Video seems to be kind of exactly what I am looking for. The secure video stream says it does the image recognition locally on your Homekit device while also storing the clips to a local SD card.

A year of battery also seems reasonable, surely as lazy as I am I can replace a battery once a year.

One thing I am not clear on is if it will trigger on cars as well as faces? It says it will recognize faces and exclude known people but what I would also like is to record on unrecognized vehicles in my cul-de-sac.
Eufy has their own detection but afaik it gets disabled when it’s set to HomeKit, so no clue how their stuff is. Also don’t have an SD card to test that out so just relying entirely on iCloud for now.

For HomeKit I haven’t messed with it much but there’s face recognition, while pet and car detection is just in general rather than specific pets/cars from what I can tell. It’s basically to limit recording events to actual stuff rather than any motion at all, like plants when it’s windy or something. In my case dust (ghost :tinfoil:) orbs in my garage can set it off when the people/car/pet detection is disabled.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Murgos posted:

Just general car detection is fine. Wasn't clear from their web page if it was only faces or what?

Also, one comment I saw on Amazon was that the motion detection is pretty short range, like 10', is this real or is this just random person nonsense on the internet stuff?
No clue on detection range cause I just have it for my garage when I’m not home (since it can be opened remotely). I wouldn’t be too surprised if it’s limited just cause wide angle = things can get pretty small with distance.

...but got curious and I’m not home now so opened up my garage and have been watching during this post. Cars going through the street in front are triggering it so it works at least this far (also seen smaller cars going the other way working too in case this one seems like an ideal case)

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Eufy's have it too, although might be another one of those things disabled when HomeKit support is turned on if that matters.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

2-pack of Eufy 2K indoor cams for $76:
https://slickdeals.net/f/14851933-eufy-2k-indoor-cam-pan-tilt-2-cam-kit-76

I recently purchased one for my toddler's room and it's really nice. My only complaints are the features it disables (even in the Eufy app) if you have it added to HomeKit and the lack of more granular notification schedules. It's miles better than my actual baby monitor, minus the always-on screen remote, obviously.
Dang missed out, was planning to get another one or two eventually.

Weird thing about the one I have though, it's been "offline" from the Eufy app for a while now while still working in HomeKit the whole time. I'm not sure but I think I even unplugged/restarted it but that didn't do the trick. Not that it really matters cause it's basically just a static cam anyways. Could get the cheaper one and move this to another location...but the PTZ ones are only a few bucks more.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
For anyone that wants an AirPlay 2 audio adapter (besides an old rear end AirPort Express), looks like Belkin is coming out with one:

https://9to5mac.com/2021/02/24/belkin-planning-airplay-2-and-homekit-audio-adapter-for-retrofitting-smart-features/

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Skipping around the thread to catch up…

wacky sex lights in your bathroom
Add to the thread title please.

ScooterMcTiny posted:

This is what I’ve got as well with Logitech’s and a Eufy. I definitely ~feel~ better about the video being secure in HomeKit unfortunately the ability to only record video on movement is a bit annoying. I really wish there was a way to record 24/7. Home app is still better than a piecemeal grouping of apps to control the home.
But anyway this is timely, cause I just saw this (which is what prompted me to find the thread again):

https://www.macrumors.com/2021/05/17/eufy-camera-users-security-breach/

quote:

Owners of Eufy home security cameras are this morning reporting seeing live and recorded feeds show up in the Eufy app from other users' cameras, in what appears to be a disturbing breach of privacy and a major malfunctioning of the company's service.

quote:

On a positive note, the issue doesn't seem to be affecting streams set up using Apple's ‌HomeKit Secure Video

I have one in HomeKit and the Eufy app/service…but dropped off the latter way way back and couldn’t get it back, so uh, yay I guess. Another is just on their service cause I have no HomeKit hub there, but it’s just an outdoor facing one for work so whatever.

nine16thsdago posted:

thanks. I've been reading about including analog cameras into blue iris. it seems like the most commonly offered advice for performance as well as price is to use certain NVRs to handle the cameras and provide IP streams to BI.

now i really need to re-evaluate whether these few analog cameras can be converted to IP without too much trouble...
There’s definitely stuff for that…but not cheap, some examples:

https://www.amazon.com/HDView-Convert-Cameras-Realtime-Converter/dp/B07CVW4JCS/

https://www.amazon.com/URayCoder-Channels-Encoder-Streaming-Transmitter/dp/B081JQSGZP/

https://www.amazon.com/Axis-Communications-0764-001-M7011-Encoder/dp/B010ZO8OR6/

Not sure if Amazon seller price shenanigans but they’re in line with what I saw way back, roughly like ~$100-200 per channel. I have one from way back I tested on (and quickly gave up on due to the costs) but it’s probably limited to like 480p maybe and might predate modern IP camera protocols so no clue if it’d even be useful these days.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

You could probably find a used AppleTV 4 for less than $99, but probably not a whole lot less and who knows how much support that will get. (You might get more utility out of an AppleTV, in general, though, so it might be worth paying more?)
Yeah I use an Apple TV. Besides the TV part of it, you do have the option to use a wired connection. Granted with everything else in home setups already wireless I'm not sure that matters all that much, but gives me some dumb piece of mind.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Yeah I don’t think I have more space.

I have to assume there’s a duct or support or something behind that wall, otherwise why the hell else would he pop that part of the wall out.

Power adapter of the unit for lols

Edit:

I just decided to gently caress with it because I’m thinking about it.

The control panel does do airplay 1 (default device name is in Chinese of course).

Also, the speakers are some of the worst I’ve ever heard. They have less bass than wired apple headphones.

Like seriously there’s almost no bass. I wish I could capture how spectacularly lovely they are.

Oh, also they fully drop WiFi connection if you pause for more than 10 seconds.

I guess there’s no point in investing in a panel, because I have to rip out these garbage speakers before I do that.
Wait what the hell is the point of it being a wall plate setup if you need to plug in a external brick :psyduck:

As for AirPlay adapters there's a bunch of cheap ones but no clue if any support AirPlay 2, or if that matters...or how well they work to begin with :iiam:. Otherwise find an old AirPort Express or that new pricey Belkin adapter. Not wall plate stuff but uh...well at least you have a big ol random cut out of the wall to work with apparently :v:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Just wondering aloud here, but I wonder if the HomePod could act as a floor subwoofer + left/right channel for the zero bass ceiling speakers…
...what if it sounds better on its own with the ceiling speakers just giving you crap sound on top if they're on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
If anyone uses HomeKit and ratgdo, there's a new firmware out, considered a 1.0.0 release build...just in time cause mine all of a sudden stopped working recently. Updated and removed and re-paired to HomeKit and everything working again (granted might've fixed it on the old firmware, but only tried rebooting).

If your old firmware was like mine, you had to upload the firmware manually, which I couldn't find on the regular ratgdo page. They're slightly buried on the HomeKit fork of it here:

https://github.com/ratgdo/homekit-ratgdo/tree/main/docs/firmware

If you had issues solved by rebooting, there's now an option for periodic auto rebooting. A bit of a kludgy workaround but it's something.