Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chu020
Dec 19, 2005
Only Text
So our home has an old Vivint system the previous owners used. It already has door/window monitoring for all the areas we'd want with a motion sensor, an indoor camera, a smartlock for one of the doors, and a thermostat. We'd like to have a monitored security service, and got a quote from Vivint to reactivate it/upgrade a few things for $40/mo + $250 install for a new hub. Sounds like there's no contracts or cancellation fees as it seems like there were in the past.

It seems like it's on the more expensive side, but would have the upside of us having to do little to get it going. We're not very DIY and would prefer a system that requires as little input from us as possible. Would other monitored systems be able to use the stuff that's already installed, or would they require a fresh install to use some other system? Don't really care so much about adding things like cameras and whatnot (it was $250/camera to install + $5/mo per camera through Vivint, ugh), but would like at least to be able to monitor remotely and be able to open/lock the existing smartlock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chu020
Dec 19, 2005
Only Text
Is there any reason outside of convenience to go with ADT, Vivint or Vector for a security system rather than Ring or Simplisafe? Like are their response times or customer service at all better? We have an old Vivint system installed, with 4 doors and a motion sensor installed, as well as an electronic deadbolt on one of the doors, but never started service with them. Would want an additional motion sensor, some window sensors, maybe a connected smoke/CO detector and water sensors for the sump pump/water heater. We do need monitored service security-wise, but it looked like $45/mo with the big name brands vs $10-15/mo with the DIY stuff. It also seemed crazy that they'd charge us additional to add cameras and/or any smart home integration, like $10/mo additional, when I could just get a hub and do it myself for free. Like Vector wants $10/mo just to be able to control the door remotely, but if I read correctly (it's a Kwikset 910), I should just be able to get a compatible smart hub and connect it?

Wife's opinion is that she doesn't want to deal with it at all and would lean toward any solution where we could just call someone if things don't work. But it seems like getting a Ring system is way cheaper in the long run, and doesn't seem all that different in the end outside of having the install/troubleshoot myself.