Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
E: never mind, poor form considering

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
My driveway camera died so I thought I would try out a reolink given the price point. About 45 mins worth of work to drill a new hole, reterminate the Ethernet, set a reservation in the private camera vlan, and get it added/configured in Milestone.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
oh I’m well aware, I have some older Hikvisions covering the back. I didn’t even give them an opportunity to talk back once I factory reset them, straight into the private vlan on the switch. The only thing that can talk to them is the secondary NIC on the vlan for the camera VM.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jun 7, 2021

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Sure it does, we have them at work. Don’t know about home-grade stuff though.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Slowly replacing all of the exterior cameras. I originally got a couple of massive exterior Hikvisions and some Sony 360 panos for free but they were 5 years old when I got them. Motronic mentioned Reolink a while back and for the price I can’t complain.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Oh hell, it begins. Time to get my feet wet on getting home assistant set up and running. Main impetus is for Christmas lights; I installed four outlets up in the eaves to plug things in and I don’t want to deal with getting all the timers lined up and plugged in simultaneously, as well as the three interior outlets that also need timers. There are a few other things like water sensors I’d like to have but I’m not planning on going crazy.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I can really, honestly say with a straight face and that I am trying to solve a specific problem here and I doubt that I will go much beyond the 4x outlets and 4x piggyback plugs needed, maybe water sensors in the obvious places to do some alerting.

About the only other possible integrations that won’t happen for a while are with the hvac system and getting a keypad lock for the garage exit door. Anywhere that truly needs motion sensing lights I can just put in a regular motion sensing switch; I don’t want my light switches on any kind of automation. Maybe I’m lacking in imagination but I spent some time looking through what zwave things are available and what scenarios people have created with them and I just don’t care or don’t find them useful to me.

I’m happy to report back in a year that I was wrong, but I doubt I will be. :colbert:

HA is pretty slick though, I had a spare SFF pc to throw it on because my esxi host doesn’t support usb passthru and it took less than 30 mins to install and get the first device connected.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Aug 12, 2021

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Our house I installed the rack in the garage, no issues with the temp swings killing equipment though of course ymmv.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

totalnewbie posted:

Is there a standard recommendation on some cameras (hoping to include good vision in the dark which I guess most cameras should have these days) for the house?

Reolink is cheap and works well. Insert standard recommendation to put any and all iot devices/ip cameras on their own non-routable vlan.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

My boss tasked me with finding a small hidden-ish camera for her house since she's having issues with a family dispute. It needs to be tiny, have audio, and be monitored from an app. I don't even know where to look for that combo. I tried suggesting the small Wyze ones but those are too big

Stay the gently caress out of it, that definitely falls under Not Your Problem.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Hell yeah, now to set up the scheduling. Outdoor lights will happen next year, I didn’t feel like spending $400 on the exterior zwave outlets and extra icicle lights we need for the second level of the roof. Last year I put in a circuit with outlets right under the eaves where all the Christmas lights need to plug in, to hell with running extension cords.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Thanks, I’ll add those to the list for the future, they are slightly smaller than the ones I got for the indoor lights. I did just order a dual-outlet outdoor plug, there is one spot right outside the front door that needs one for lights and one for a gutter heater cable.

I get bad ice dams in the gutter along the walkway up to the house because of how the downspout/extender flows as well as the attic dead space in that last 6 feet of roof. Before I put lights up I installed the cable through the entire gutter and downspout/extender. Once the plug arrives, I’ll turn it on only if necessary instead of having it burn power all the time when it is already freezing out but no precipitation. I’ll probably just set up an automation and scene to trigger it on for 8 hours on demand, maybe a longer one if I know more snow is coming overnight.

Eventually I will install an actual z-wave outlet there, it’s a great spot to have a permanent repeater.

It’s also probably worth exploring a temperature/precipitation forecast based automation down the road once I see how the cable works this year, there has to be someone out there who has figured that out.

Goddammit, you were all right, this poo poo does sneak up on you.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Nov 29, 2021

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I discovered today that I had enough points in our employee “thanks” program for a $250 Amazon gift card.

I now have everything on the way necessary for automating the exterior Christmas lights + two extra for the 2nd floor next year, toggle switch for the exterior garage lights w/dimming, and rear lights over the fire pit w/dimming.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Yep, that’ll do.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Fisheye sucks even if you have the proper software/drivers imo. When this one dies I’m replacing it with a small tamper-proof 4k dome.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

sharkytm posted:

As motronic said, this is a bag idea. Get an NVR and VPN tunnel to access it. Poe is the best way to do this, WiFi is a hack that works if you can't run cables.

And the vpn tunnel is as easy as “install Tailscale, enable for all IP egress on your internal endpoint, have a nice day” if you aren’t inclined to gently caress with dns, IPsec tunnels, etc etc.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Pretty much, depends on the integration. The main tv is a Sony smart tv, so it integrated immediately and I have play/pause/power/volume for when we’re in the kitchen and want to modify the music volume, or need to pause/power it off because of children.

The tv that got moved upstairs to upgrade the main bedroom had a shield tv which has a full fledged app remote but this is enough functionality to be minimally useful.

No I don’t know why you would want a phone notification about low toner but clearly someone does. That’s not a hard integration though, it’s just trolling snmp and reading anything public.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Finished putting up Christmas lights today then spent some time tweaking the home assistant config.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Cool, apparently the Reolink RLC820A doesn’t work with milestone at all, it is out of spec from onvif from my research. This one is going back, anyone have a different, reasonably priced brand for a 4k Poe camera that is onvif compliant?

E: amcrest looks decent

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Nov 18, 2023

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I used to install milestone ip camera systems for a retailer. The free version was the path of least resistance when I started to run wiring for cameras at my house.

I just switched to Blue Iris this week though, still need to do some tweaking.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Plugged in all the Christmas lights, enabled the HA automations and everything worked flawlessly. Absolutely worth the money spent on z-wave adapters last year.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
That was fun to wake up to:

It appears that a spider managed to drape a web strand loosely in front of the lens and is getting blown around enough to trigger motion. Of course it’s under the 2nd floor soffit, time to get out the extension ladder.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

TheDK posted:

I have my coffee maker connected to a smart plug.

Might be easier to get a coffeemaker that uses HTCPCP.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
My home assistant box died, RIP. Not really surprised, it was 10+ years old sff machine. Thankfully I have backups so it’s just a matter of picking a replacement.

Thinking about a Pi4 8gb and run HA off a usb3 SSD. I know the pi 5 is out this month but I don’t really want to wait for the new Poe+ hat. I don’t have a ton of addons, the biggest one is UniFi manager.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Kalman posted:

For a little more you can buy a refurbed Dell SFF or MFF machine (with their current sale, anyway) and have a more capable server to run HA and other stuff as well.

I considered it, but the low power usage of the Pi especially with adding Poe appeals to me. Other stuff isn’t on the table, I already have an esxi machine for that. Unfortunately it can’t do passthru of the z-wave dongle otherwise HA would have been running there all along.

I’d rather not have three PCs running 24/7 like I have been, I want fewer computers to janitor after work. When I’m done with my job at the end of the day, I do not want to deal with technology one goddamn bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Finally ordered a $60 used workstation without a hard drive and slapped in a 500gb ssd I had sitting around. Installed proxmox, deployed hass os via the script, passed through the z-wave stick, restored the latest available backup and I’m back in business.