Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
Here's a quandary I'm having at the the moment. I'm in a new place in a new neighborhood and I have been planning on getting the 2.0 SmartThings setup when it ships in "Quarter 2." However, my immediate neighborhood has been experiencing a bit of an uptick in daytime burglaries over the last month and I'm getting antsy.

Would it be worth getting a Dropcam Pro and setting that up to view the main room and using their cloud recording as a interim should the worst happen,

OR

Get a SmartThings kit set up now and just upgrade the hub when the 2.0 comes out.

I'm experiencing a bit of paralysis by analysis, going between the two products and hoping for a small injection of info or opinion to knock me out of my stasis.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

syphon posted:

The Dropcam will integrate with a SmartThings setup you buy later, so I vote you get that for now and keep using it after you build out your ST setup.

That's a very good point. Welp, stasis broken. Thanks!

[random date in Quarter 2] cannot come soon enough. I want to play with ST 2.0!

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
Is there an opinion or consensus on Simplisafe?

I like that it's independent of the internet connection, and while it's not really automated, honestly the only automation I do is the lights. Which Hue handles on its own.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Pitre posted:

I used to have Simplisafe with monitoring and smartphone app for years. I have no complaints at all about their hardware or service. I had an issue with an external siren a year after I purchased it and they replaced it free no problem. The cell based connection and battery backup make it a good security system in my opinion.

Thank you very much!

Pulling the trigger on this before the sale ends.