Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Coming from a guy who is about as risk averse as they come, I think quitting your job in this case is a sound decision. I'm making the following assumptions:

1. Your fiance is employed and would be providing some income
2. Your writing income would at least be comparable to your day-job income over time, hopefully better
3. Your employment skills are transferable and you could find another job in your new city if it was needed.

Pretty much a slam loving dunk. You're already living frugally so we don't have to worry about you slomoing your money away. I think renting in a new city is a good plan to make sure you like it there. And I'd definitely sell the house, do you really want the hassle and worry for negligible return? You're making this move to focus on your writing, stressing out about your house is not something you need entering your creative domain.

Comedy option 1: Find a low cost of living area and pretty much "retire" while still writing. You could buy a very nice house/land here in PA (or the midwest or any other non-major metro area) for what you're presumably getting out of mortgage when you sell.

Comedy option 2: Buy a multi-unit/duplex or something in the new city you want to move to if you really want to be a landlord. Again, in a low cost of living area like around here, you could buy a modest home AND a rental property for cash with what you expect from your house sale.

Pretty much you can do whatever you want, you're in a great place. Move close to me so you can teach me your ways of earning money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Moana, can you link or PM me to a book or two of yours on amazon? I'd like to buy some for my sis for inspiration.

• Locked thread