Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blackjack2000
Mar 29, 2010

moana posted:

I always need gruff opinionated remarks.

Is it really that straightforward then? What about if I refinanced for a 30-year mortgage on what I owed? I'd be paying like $1200 a month and renting it out at $2500, giving me like $15k for repair money each year. Still no?

No, I guess not. If I made like $300k profit and invested it at 4%, that would give me like $12k a year, and it would be much more liquid and I wouldn't have to pay for repairs. But I also wouldn't get the mortgage interest tax deduction and wouldn't own the property outright after 30 years. Hrm. God, this is complicated, but I'm glad that it's looking to be kind of a wash either way, makes me feel better about my ambivalence. You have to pay long-term capital gains on profits over $250k, I see. Didn't even consider that, great, another variable to consider.

It really is a no-brainer. Investors usually look for rent at 1% of the house value as a minimum, I personally wouldn't touch anything under 2%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackjack2000
Mar 29, 2010

Do you mind if I ask about your writing business? I figured it would be in a thread somewhere in BFC but I haven't been able to find it.

Blackjack2000
Mar 29, 2010

moana posted:

I post in the CC self-publishing thread occasionally, but I don't want to post too much info under my real name here. Feel free to PM me if you'd like to learn more!

Thanks, got a bit of an idea from the CC thread, but I'll upgrade and shoot you a PM.

• Locked thread