Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Crisco Kid posted:

I like this too. People can be dwarfs in real life, so why shouldn't they also appear in films or television without requiring explanation? Despite what Hollywood would have us believe, there's no such thing as a default human, but casting has gotten us into the habit of thinking different types of people need to justify their existence before appearing in media. Let's have different types of people show up more often, not to meet a quota or because diversity integral to the plot, but because that's a more accurate reflection of reality.
In principle, I agree, but you're kidding yourself if you don't think Dinklage was cast because he's a nerd god in a $300 million nerd film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Josh Lyman posted:

In principle, I agree, but you're kidding yourself if you don't think Dinklage was cast because he's a nerd god in a $300 million nerd film.

Yeah, but that's probably better than "we need some sort of new diversity we can throw into this movie... Howzabout a dwarf for our villain? No, not that kind, ya moron." It's pretty awesome that an actor who can actually draw people based on his career and talent just happens to be a dwarf, as opposed to looking specifically to cast a dwarf and just going out and getting the most famous one.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Every little detail about an actor is carefully considered by the casting crew - voice, hair color, skin color, and stature. If they decided to cast a dwarf they must have had a particular reason, especially since Trask isn't a dwarf in the comic books. Like I said, there are plenty of good actors they could have chosen from.

Crisco Kid posted:

I think the high rating on RT is in part because people are just shocked at how much it didn't suck.
An RT score displays how much consensus there is on a movie's quality. A Metacritic score gives the average rating, which right now is 71/100 - higher than any of the Avengers movies.

Edit: Josh Lyman, what happened to your avatar? What did you do?

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 21:11 on May 22, 2014

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I'm glad to hear this is doing well, thought First Class and Wolverine were two of the best yet. Hopefully this keeps the series going on a high, I really didn't think it had any legs left after X3 and Origins.

(Also, not to be a whiny SJW or whatever but for general knowledge in real life, midget is generally felt to be a demeaning word with circus connotations and "little person" is the preferred term nowadays. Just in case you weren't aware and it saves you embarrassment down the road.)

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Baron Bifford posted:

Every little detail about an actor is carefully considered by the casting crew - voice, hair color, skin color, and stature. If they decided to cast a midget they must have had a particular reason, especially since Trask isn't a midget in the comic books. Like I said, there are plenty of good actors they could have chosen from.

Maybe because he looks (and can act) the part, height difference be damned?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

THE BAR posted:

Maybe because he looks (and can act) the part, height difference be damned?
Hahahahahaha.

In Hollywood, talent is not enough.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Baron Bifford posted:

Hahahahahaha.

In Hollywood, talent is not enough.

As was mentioned earlier, when you're the most popular actor on a majorly popular show currently on television, that gets thrown out the window. Peter Dinklage is not being cast because they wanted a little person for the role and wanted to bring that into it, Peter Dinklage is being cast because if you tell people that guy from Game of Thrones is in the movie, they're gonna go see it.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Crappy Jack posted:

As was mentioned earlier, when you're the most popular actor on a majorly popular show currently on television, that gets thrown out the window. Peter Dinklage is not being cast because they wanted a little person for the role and wanted to bring that into it, Peter Dinklage is being cast because if you tell people that guy from Game of Thrones is in the movie, they're gonna go see it.

DING DING DING DING

It's like Godzilla. Bryan Cranston is a fantastic actor, but they almost certainly hired him because he'd be believable in the part, and has all of the good will in the world stored up from Breaking Bad.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

And yet the marketing has focused in Wolverine and Mystique. GG Fox marketing.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Josh Lyman posted:

And yet the marketing has focused in Wolverine and Mystique. GG Fox marketing.

To be fair, there are like, a bajillion bankable actors in this movie.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Yoshifan823 posted:

To be fair, there are like, a bajillion bankable actors in this movie.
No doubt, but commercials haven't really featured Dinklage.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I do admit, I've only been interested in the Disney Marvel movies (Iron Man, Captain America, etc.) as the others have been rather crap (Fantastic Four, Spider man). But I really enjoyed First Class and anything that erases the poo poo-stain that is X-men 3 is gold in my book.

I remember when First Class came out and how that dumb gently caress Ratner tried to poo poo on its box office, even though his movie was coasting on two sequels, numerous A-Listers and the good-will of movie goers. And X-3 turned out to be so terrible, so poisonous, that Fox literally had to go back in time in order to try to salvage the franchise. And with this movie, actually erase it from existence and eliminate any need to ever see it from future viewers. It isn't often that you see a movie that completely ignores and disregards a previous director's work so thoroughly (not counting reboots or re-imaginings). I might actually go to the theater for this.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
This was a FANTASTIC film. I totally get that its going to be somewhat inaccessible for people if they haven't watched previous films in the franchise but at this point if you haven't seen those films you don't have anyone to blame but yourself. The future looks VERY grim and the costume design for that entire section was very good. The past was also great and McAvoy, Fassbender and Co knocked their performances out of the park. In regards to some of the continuity fuckery that isn't addressed, I think its for the best that we all agree that X-3 didn't happen.

Its funny though, some of you mention that you had gone in with low expectations but frankly, after First Class and to a lesser extent The Wolverine (Which was okay in my book, certainly not as bad as X-3 or origins) my expectations were really high and I didn't feel let down in the slightest. I think the best endorsement I can give this film in any case, is that when the credits were rolling I immediately felt the urge to re-watch it. I wouldn't have minded in the slightest and I cannot wait to go see it again.

EDIT: On a side note, I am going to be really sad when Hugh Jackman is finally done with Wolverine. I enjoy his interpretation of the character so much and he has been doing it for so long now. Its definitely going to happen in the next few films and I wish that he could keep going with the role :(

FiftySeven fucked around with this message at 23:27 on May 22, 2014

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

FiftySeven posted:

EDIT: On a side note, I am going to be really sad when Hugh Jackman is finally done with Wolverine. I enjoy his interpretation of the character so much and he has been doing it for so long now. Its definitely going to happen in the next few films and I wish that he could keep going with the role :(

Well, for what it is worth, Hugh Jackman has stated over and over again that he loves playing Wolverine. Enough to believe that it isn't bullshit. I think that he'll play him for as long as he is able to do so, honestly. And since the man himself hardly ever seems to age, it might be awhile.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

Josh Lyman posted:

No doubt, but commercials haven't really featured Dinklage.

He's featured in a few close ups, enough to go "hey! It's that guy!!" and heighten the interest of Tyrion/Dinklage fans. He did a promotion here in Melbourne with Hugh Jackman and Fan Bingbing. In any case he's obviously been cast moreso because he's well known right now, not because they wanted to "change the character into a dwarf". If anything I wish more movies ignored these factors in their casting (unlikely).

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Father Wendigo posted:

One thing that bothered me: "Hey, let's bring back the black guy who's functionally immortal through adaptive evolutiOOPS, he's dead." That felt a few steps shy of the 'Girlfriend in the Fridge' play for blatantly forced dramatic tension.

was he an autopsy photo? i dont remember him at all. unless you mean bishop who is a different character and different actor

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Dapper Dan posted:

Well, for what it is worth, Hugh Jackman has stated over and over again that he loves playing Wolverine. Enough to believe that it isn't bullshit. I think that he'll play him for as long as he is able to do so, honestly. And since the man himself hardly ever seems to age, it might be awhile.

That's been consistent for years, too. I remember on some chat show (forgot which one) he was joking about how he likes to wear the claws when he sleeps with his wife. He really does seem to have a genuine love of the role.

I really want to re-watch the movie sooner than later.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
I remember the arguments over that casting way back when we had to make special chat rooms just to argue in. Horrible things were said, things you could never take back :ohdear:

But then you saw him in the cage fight in the start of X-Men and you knew they nailed it. Okay, he's really tall and clearly way too handsome to be Canadian, but that's Wolverine alright.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Ticket purchased for Sunday. It's been a long time since I've been excited for an X-Men film.

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
Saw this last night. It was good, but I think the recent Thor and Captain America movies were better and more entertaining.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!
Wow, after Origins I never thought I would be hype for a X-Men movie again. First Class was great, but not great enough to give me hope about the series. Then they pick my favorite X story line to do a movie of? Then it sounds like it will train wreck in production?

Nope. Wouldn't have eve expected this to be good.

drat you for making me hype for X-Men again.

....actually I pray to god this is as great as you say CD. I want X-Men to be awesome again.

TheNakedFantastic
Sep 22, 2006

LITERAL WHITE SUPREMACIST
People liked First Class? Like uh Magneto has some decent scenes but the movie is straight up trash outside of that.

TheNakedFantastic
Sep 22, 2006

LITERAL WHITE SUPREMACIST

Crisco Kid posted:

I like this too. People can be dwarfs in real life, so why shouldn't they also appear in films or television without requiring explanation? Despite what Hollywood would have us believe, there's no such thing as a default human, but casting has gotten us into the habit of thinking different types of people need to justify their existence before appearing in media. Let's have different types of people show up more often, not to meet a quota or because diversity integral to the plot, but because that's a more accurate reflection of reality.

It's ridiculous to not address it at all in a movie about mutants. Dwarves are 0.0001% of the population and there has never been a prominent dwarf politician or CEO on the national level, a more accurate reflection of reality would be that he's treated like a mutant especially in the contexts of the 60's.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
If Bryan Singer can do one thing extremely well it's make a good looking flick. This film was gorgeous except for the future scenes. I wish that was enough but I really didn't like much beyond the film looking pretty.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 06:16 on May 23, 2014

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Just got back from the first screening available tonight, which also happened to be my first time in an RPX theater. I don't know if the Dolby Atmos really mattered, but the regular showing was only $2 cheaper and I didn't want to risk a lovely screen/seats.

In any case, I thought it was very good. It didn't have that something special, but only Gravity and Inception immediately come to mind as films that do. Bottom line, go see it. There's no reason not to.

TheNakedFantastic posted:

People liked First Class? Like uh Magneto has some decent scenes but the movie is straight up trash outside of that.
It has an 87% on RT so yes, most people liked it.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 06:18 on May 23, 2014

Ungoal
Mar 13, 2014

by XyloJW

TheNakedFantastic posted:

I thought it was garbage too just like X-3 with too much of a whimsical tone. The third act in that film was way too cringe-worthy for me. X-men, X2, and The Wolverine felt much more immersive and actually made you give a poo poo about the characters.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
There's a scene which doesn't make a lot of sense to me in the movie:

The Paris peace conference. There, Trask tries to sell his Sentinels to a bunch of America's enemies, which include the Russians and the Vietnamese. That's treason! Trask even gets arrested for it at the end of the movie. I know he was having trouble with Congress but this only gets him arrested. What was he thinking?

The second thing about that scene is that the people in the meeting immediately grab the Vietnamese general (who is really Mystique) when Trask's scanner identifies "him" as a mutant. There would have been two plausible ways for the attendees to react: 1) They do not believe Trask's little doo-hickey actually works (it's just a plastic box with blinking lights for all they can tell), and 2) They point out that mutant or not, the "general" is still an official delegate and thus cannot be touched (they couldn't know he had been replaced by a shapeshifter).

The whole scene felt like a really forced attempt to tie the mutant issue to historical events.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 07:56 on May 23, 2014

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Just dropping in to say holy hell the Nixon lookalike actor was horrible and distracting, gently caress.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS
Easily the best X-Men movie to date. What a pleasant surprise.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Baron Bifford posted:

There's a scene which doesn't make a lot of sense to me in the movie:

The Paris peace conference. There, Trask tries to sell his Sentinels to a bunch of America's enemies, which include the Russians and the Vietnamese. That's treason! Trask even gets arrested for it at the end of the movie. I know he was having trouble with Congress but this only gets him arrested. What was he thinking?

Well, Trask said he cares about uniting mankind against the mutants. As far as he knows, sentinels will only hunt mutants anyway, so it's pretty irrelevant who gets them as long as someone does and shows them off. In the process, powerful mutants will probably successfully destroy some, which he can use as fearmongering (LOOK AT THE TERRIBLE POWER THESE CREATURES HOLD) to support more getting made, more countries employing them. Their value as weapons to be used against other countries is near nothing, since again, their big selling point is that they only target mutants and are otherwise (as Trask himself said) more or less just unmanned fighter jets.

I agree with you on the second bit though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
One thing I need help on.

where the hell did Kitty's new power come from?

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

Rhyno posted:

The screenwriter deciding to say "gently caress it, let someone else figure it out."

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Rhyno posted:

I was asking this same thing. Unless both me and my friend missed something, its just literally never explained in the slightest. Not even a handwave-y one.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Rhyno posted:

She can phase things through space, why not time? New powers for the sake of the plot happen all the time in comics. Secondary mutation!

As a fellow coming book fan but personally I was more upset that Sunspot just looked like a generic flame guy. I couldn't even figure out it was supposed to be him until the credits. Blink on the other hand looked way better than she does in comics.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

AnonSpore posted:

Well, Trask said he cares about uniting mankind against the mutants. As far as he knows, sentinels will only hunt mutants anyway, so it's pretty irrelevant who gets them as long as someone does and shows them off. In the process, powerful mutants will probably successfully destroy some, which he can use as fearmongering (LOOK AT THE TERRIBLE POWER THESE CREATURES HOLD) to support more getting made, more countries employing them. Their value as weapons to be used against other countries is near nothing, since again, their big selling point is that they only target mutants and are otherwise (as Trask himself said) more or less just unmanned fighter jets.

It's still treason to sell weapons and military secrets to an enemy nation, especially since said weapons can be easily reprogrammed to attack humans.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Baron Bifford posted:

It's still treason to sell weapons and military secrets to an enemy nation, especially since said weapons can be easily reprogrammed to attack humans.

I just figured Trask didn't give a gently caress about treason as long as people starting seeing mutants as a threat.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Baron Bifford posted:

Why is he precluded from breaking the law?

Way Strong Pimphand
Feb 19, 2010
Those death scenes in the future segments were ridiculously brutal. Like, I legitimately felt awful for the characters. And are all the X-Men from First Class dead now? Like, straight up tortured and experimented on? I just need a hug. :smith:

edit: gently caress that was a good movie.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

I thought for sure they'd make a connection between Trask's genetic mutation as a midget and all the other mutants, especially after seeing the painting he had in his office, but then they never touched on it. Count me among the surprised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Way Strong Pimphand posted:

Those death scenes in the future segments were ridiculously brutal. Like, I legitimately felt awful for the characters. And are all the X-Men from First Class dead now? Like, straight up tortured and experimented on? I just need a hug. :smith:

edit: gently caress that was a good movie.

Everyone except for Havok, Hank and Mystique, yeah.

• Locked thread