Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Justin Godscock posted:

I'm actually trying to think of how the future Sentinels could have countered Quicksilver and I'm running a blank unless they had the ability to affect time as well.
They'd also go really fast?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Turn into lube.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I want a Quicklsilver movie that takes place right after the airport scene in DOFP. On his way back home, Peter keeps getting distracted by random unrelated things. Stuff that he wants to steal, pranks he wants to play on people and eventually he starts saving people's lives and stopping crime as well (but he's still stealing stuff). In the end, he reaches his house and falls asleep. Just another day in the life.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
There isn't really a good way to beat superspeed characters (at least none some sperg won't quibble with) which is why they are not generally my favorite thing, in comics.

I wonder if anybody even bothered to bring up the 90's X-Factor characters in the legal wrangling. An X-Factor Investigations movie would own if they'd set it in a mutant ghetto in New York or something.

e: and make sure Bishop is the dogged mutant beat cop who constantly has to deal with X-Factor mucking around in his cases. Do not ever explain how he came to be in the present.

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Oct 3, 2014

VincentPrice
Jun 26, 2009
Saw the movie the other day. Loved the opening action sequence, I liked Quicksilver (boy did he turn out better than that promo picture implied). The rest of the movie was kind of underwhelming.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
In seriousness, a lot of comics speedsters tend to be vulnerable to extreme cold, which slows them down to manageable speeds.

Failing that, try using gelatinous adhesives or webbing, especially as traps for them to run into.

Flashbangs and sonic weapons. Let's see them run faster than sound, without being able to see.

Heck, this is a world where telekinesis exists. Lift them off the ground. There, the fight's over.

*~*~Hit me up for ideas on slaughtering mutants~*~* <3

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Oct 4, 2014

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Harime Nui posted:

There isn't really a good way to beat superspeed characters (at least none some sperg won't quibble with) which is why they are not generally my favorite thing, in comics.
Don't sweat the fridge logic with superheroes.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011
This came out on Blu-Ray recently and I'm re-watching it again.

Holy poo poo is Charles terrible at dealing with people without telepathy. He's like the worst most oblivious man-child and it is HILARIOUS.

Like in Paris the best he can do is "Umm...you're on acid? Thats the ticket! Yeah! Acid!" Like a literal joke from a 30's farcical cartoon. Don't even start me on the airplane conversation.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
One would think that a guy who spent his life reading people like a book would know enough about human nature that he could make good educated guesses when deprived of telepathy.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Baron Bifford posted:

One would think that a guy who spent his life reading people like a book would know enough about human nature that he could make good educated guesses when deprived of telepathy.

Superheroes becoming so reliant on their superpower they can't function normally isn't that uncommon idea.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

I got the impression that Xavier was impaired because of his addiction to heroin Beast's mutant-power-suppression-liquid.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Astrochicken posted:

I got the impression that Xavier was impaired because of his addiction to heroin Beast's mutant-power-suppression-liquid.

It also seemed that he spent that time drinking to dull the pain. It also makes sense that he had trouble when it comes to other people as he used his powers all the time.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Young Charles is also kind of a gently caress up and a jerk. As far as I can tell the First Class universe still hasn't had him turn a corner where he becomes anything close to the wise, peaceful, diplomatic Charles.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

Baron Bifford posted:

There's also the point that his telepathy, while really powerful, has rarely been seen to work like that.

Xavier can read a person's mind, take control of them, and even reprogram them to a certain extent... however when he views a person's memories he see's them from his own point of view. It allows him to know what happened to them and even feel what they feel to a certain point, however he's unable to see that person's point of view and understand them. He basically watches the clip reel of a person's life, but he doesn't get the whole "this is who this person is".

Like he definitely know's why Magneto is how he is, understands Magneto's strategies, however he has no idea how to get Magneto to change his mind or accurately predict Magneto's actions. He's known Magneto most of his life and despite Magneto's helmet, has read his mind multiple times, yet he hasn't been able to do it.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Shadoer posted:

There's also the point that his telepathy, while really powerful, has rarely been seen to work like that.

Xavier can read a person's mind, take control of them, and even reprogram them to a certain extent... however when he views a person's memories he see's them from his own point of view. It allows him to know what happened to them and even feel what they feel to a certain point, however he's unable to see that person's point of view and understand them. He basically watches the clip reel of a person's life, but he doesn't get the whole "this is who this person is".

Like he definitely know's why Magneto is how he is, understands Magneto's strategies, however he has no idea how to get Magneto to change his mind or accurately predict Magneto's actions. He's known Magneto most of his life and despite Magneto's helmet, has read his mind multiple times, yet he hasn't been able to do it.

"Erik, they were just following orders!"

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Justin Godscock posted:

I'm actually trying to think of how the future Sentinels could have countered Quicksilver and I'm running a blank unless they had the ability to affect time as well.

By... realising that no matter how fast he runs he's still a squishy human who can't really hurt them?

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Justin Godscock posted:

Really, you would have to wonder how it happened at all. Xavier can literally brainwash people. Storm is capable of controlling weather patterns. Good luck getting to your super secret sentinel base when it's constantly covered by a Tornado that doesn't seem to move. Wolverine could easily dispatch an entire base of soldiers by himself. Magneto can erase every computer on base with a wave of his hand. Even if the super secret sentinel stuff was shielded, people still need cars, lights, homes, etc. Each one of them could be a terrorist nightmare if they choose to. With any telepath you couldn't keep any base secret, and once you know where it is you could have quicksilver dismantle the whole place with only a screwdriver. Or just give him a camera and expose the government building automated murder machines (which we are already making laws against in real life, because they are A Bad Idea™ ) Then there wouldn't be a movie though, would there?

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Young Charles is also kind of a gently caress up and a jerk. As far as I can tell the First Class universe still hasn't had him turn a corner where he becomes anything close to the wise, peaceful, diplomatic Charles.

My favorite thing about this is that Wise Old Charles essentially made himself into the wise old teacher. They make contact via Logan and he suddenly becomes this old soul type because he's seen the logic that he has already earned through 40 or 50 years of experience. It instantly makes Young Charles into Old Charles, who suddenly has the advantage of years of hard fought lessons to draw on.

It's like the old question of "What would you tell your teenage self?" only he gets to sit his 20 something self down and tell him to stop being a fuckup.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
So there's rumors going around that the next Iron Man movie is the set up for the Marvel Movie U's version of Civil War...I didn't read the whole thing but weren't the xmen pretty heavily featured in that? Or did my brain just see "superhero registration" and assume?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Intel&Sebastian posted:

So there's rumors going around that the next Iron Man movie is the set up for the Marvel Movie U's version of Civil War...I didn't read the whole thing but weren't the xmen pretty heavily featured in that? Or did my brain just see "superhero registration" and assume?

Nope not at all. The mutants just remained in their own little corner and did not take sides at all.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Good for them, not loving everything up for once.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Other than extremely rare events, the X-universe has largely stayed out of the larger Marvel Universe aside from the occasional crossover of an individual character or two. There are some shared concepts and settings, but X-Men always had their own bigass crossovers within their own multiple titles. I haven't read much in the way of comics in a long time, but I remember crossovers involving X-Men titles almost always being internal and more or less detached from stuff like the Infinity Gauntlet, and even in the Secret Wars they pretty much operated as a separate entity. I feel like that's a good thing, and I'm somewhat glad X-Men's film franchise is owned by someone else. Not everything needs a connection and X-Men could easily be an expanded film universe.

That said, AvX: Avengers vs X-Men would probably make for a pretty kickass movie if they ever decided to do it, but I feel like it would be extremely difficult to balance out that many characters and give them all proper screen time. They'd have to severely limit the number of X-Men involved for that.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Still, it was one of the event's dumber moments when the X-men, who fought against a mutant registration act for years, declared themselves neutral when it came to the superhuman registration act, which, logically, should have included them.

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend

The Dave posted:

The Wolverine really wasn't that great but next to Origins it's The Dark Knight.

A little late to comment, but I thought The Wolverine was every bit as terrible as or worse than X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

Also, the ending to The Wolverine is inexcusably lovely, and I still cringe when I think about it. The only other mutant featured in the movie was horrible too.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

e X posted:

Still, it was one of the event's dumber moments when the X-men, who fought against a mutant registration act for years, declared themselves neutral when it came to the superhuman registration act, which, logically, should have included them.

Weren't they already covered by the SRA because the government knew exactly who all 198 mutants on the planet were and none of their identities were secret?

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

M.C. McMic posted:

A little late to comment, but I thought The Wolverine was every bit as terrible as or worse than X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

I've only seen a few people with this opinion and I'll never understand it. Origins was a bad movie in just about every possible way. The Wolverine was, at worst, mediocre. At least it was competently made and actually told a relatively interesting story without making GBS threads its own pants.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

M.C. McMic posted:

Also, the ending to The Wolverine is inexcusably lovely, and I still cringe when I think about it. The only other mutant featured in the movie was horrible too.

It had three mutants and one was bit lovely but also underdeveloped. Wolverine's sidekick was pretty awesome.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Has there been a good X-Men video game within the last couple generations of hardware? My only reference point is pretty much just the arcade game from way back.

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend

DFu4ever posted:

I've only seen a few people with this opinion and I'll never understand it. Origins was a bad movie in just about every possible way. The Wolverine was, at worst, mediocre. At least it was competently made and actually told a relatively interesting story without making GBS threads its own pants.

Knowing nothing about the Marvel universe or X-Men outside of what I've seen in the movies, this story was not at all interesting. Maybe there's some back story or cannon or whatever that makes this appealing. However, The Wolverine was the epitome of a completely unnecessary romance wedged into a movie for filler.

Outside of that, what was there besides a forgettable villain with a loose association to Wolverine who wanted to live forever? And also: A robot samurai... because it's in JAPAN! Yay!

edit: Also, please do not take this to mean that I think Origins: Wolverine is good in any way whatsoever.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

M.C. McMic posted:

Knowing nothing about the Marvel universe or X-Men outside of what I've seen in the movies, this story was not at all interesting. Maybe there's some back story or cannon or whatever that makes this appealing. However, The Wolverine was the epitome of a completely unnecessary romance wedged into a movie for filler.

Outside of that, what was there besides a forgettable villain with a loose association to Wolverine who wanted to live forever? And also: A robot samurai... because it's in JAPAN! Yay!

edit: Also, please do not take this to mean that I think Origins: Wolverine is good in any way whatsoever.

The whole point of the movie was Wolverine getting over Jean's death, and the romance was how he was able to do that. He found something to live for. It had some great action scenes, and the idea of human using mutants was better than just mutant vs mutant again.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

sticklefifer posted:

Has there been a good X-Men video game within the last couple generations of hardware? My only reference point is pretty much just the arcade game from way back.

The X-Men Origins:Wolverine video game was pretty fantastic. Good luck finding a copy though, since they pulled the game off all digital storefronts at the start of this year.

Other than that, the X-Men Legends series of games are solid co-op beat 'em up games (kind of a successor to the X-MEN arcade game in a way)

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012
I'm having a hard time figuring out why they even found it necessary to make The Wolverine at all, considering everything's reset now. His Japanese side kick doesn't know who he is anymore and the whole shoed-in romance with Mariko is equally rendered moot.

And if you think about it, everything got reset except what happened before the 1970's, so in present day that crazy old Japanese guy is still obsessing over Logan and running his family into the ground. They made a movie just so the conflict that gets resolved in that movie will be undone with the very next movie. I don't get it.

Oh right, he's over Jean now and ready to be a soldier again.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
You never know, they could bring Rila Fukushima back for Wolverine 3!

Anything... can happen :unsmith:

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
The Wolverine made a pretty dime, so I don't think Fox regrets it.

I kid, I kid. But it really doesn't make any sense to have made The Wolverine given Fox knew DOFP was going to throw everything aside from First Class out the window including the good X-Men films (X1 and X2). I chalk it up to Hollywood being strange and trying to make Avengers-style connected universes that make a billion worldwide thus we are seeing a ton of stop-and-go with regards to future films.

At least it's not as big a clusterfuck as Spider-Man is because Sony wasn't happy with a 700M worldwide gross.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I think the train fight sequence alone justified the movie's existence and if you don't agree, well, fine, hate fun I guess

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Justin Godscock posted:

I kid, I kid. But it really doesn't make any sense to have made The Wolverine given Fox knew DOFP was going to throw everything aside from First Class out the window including the good X-Men films (X1 and X2). I chalk it up to Hollywood being strange and trying to make Avengers-style connected universes that make a billion worldwide thus we are seeing a ton of stop-and-go with regards to future films.

The Wolverine was already shooting by the time DOFP's script was still being worked on, I believe (I know the script dates back to like 2010 or '11, when Aronofsky was still waffling between doing Wolverine or RoboCop and wound up doing neither). The post-credits scene setting up DOFP was shot during that film's principal photography.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

speshl guy posted:

I'm having a hard time figuring out why they even found it necessary to make The Wolverine at all, considering everything's reset now.

Justin Godscock posted:

But it really doesn't make any sense to have made The Wolverine given Fox knew DOFP was going to throw everything aside from First Class out the window including the good X-Men films (X1 and X2).

What does it no longer being in an active inter-movie continuity have to do with whether or not it made sense to make? The vast majority of movies are made without any consideration to the buildup of that sort of thing. It's a notable exception when it is relevant.

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012

Sir Kodiak posted:

What does it no longer being in an active inter-movie continuity have to do with whether or not it made sense to make? The vast majority of movies are made without any consideration to the buildup of that sort of thing. It's a notable exception when it is relevant.

I'm not saying don't make a wolverine movie because you're reseting the timeline, I realize movies are made to make money.

But there are other ways to have the guy work out his character flaws than to send him to another country to follow around characters that we have no investment in, and shove him into a meaningless romance (love triangle?) that, as of now, never happened.

I would've watched the hell out of a movie where Logan is a drunk backwoods hermit that hunts poachers Riddick style.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

speshl guy posted:

But there are other ways to have the guy work out his character flaws than to send him to another country to follow around characters that we have no investment in, and shove him into a meaningless romance (love triangle?) that, as of now, never happened.

I would've watched the hell out of a movie where Logan is a drunk backwoods hermit that hunts poachers Riddick style.

Sure, I'm not trying to defend the plot of The Wolverine, I'm not a particular fan of it. But what's the relevance of the "that, as of now, never happened" bit? No matter what happened in the movie, so long as it happened later than the early 70s, it would have been eliminated from the continuity.

They didn't make The Wolverine because they were trying to have his character work through a trauma in order to set up another movie. They thought it would be interesting to make a movie about him working through a trauma. Him having a character arc was an end in itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Harime Nui posted:

I think the train fight sequence alone justified the movie's existence and if you don't agree, well, fine, hate fun I guess

Hmm yeah let's all accept the anime fan's definition of fun.

The film is garbage.

• Locked thread