Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Sir Kodiak posted:

Sure, I'm not trying to defend the plot of The Wolverine, I'm not a particular fan of it. But what's the relevance of the "that, as of now, never happened" bit? No matter what happened in the movie, so long as it happened later than the early 70s, it would have been eliminated from the continuity.

They didn't make The Wolverine because they were trying to have his character work through a trauma in order to set up another movie. They thought it would be interesting to make a movie about him working through a trauma. Him having a character arc was an end in itself.

Also, the one actual thing that survived the timeline reset in DOFP (Wolverine and his personality) is the central focus of the film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Four of us marathoned all the movies leading up to DOFP. Most of us had only seen X1 and 2 - I saw First Class as well.

After seeing X3 and Wolverine Origins, I can see how anyone's faith would've been shaken. After those 2, The Wolverine was a blast. The lizard lady and robo-samurai were lame but basically all the other parts were fun and it had a nice style to it. Also quite liked the WW2 bombing intro.

Also it results in people posting in a thread about films made from kids' comic books that derisively spit on anime fans. I don't like anime, but does posting on a paid forum about X-men movies really make you feel superior? They're the same drat concept for two different cultures.

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012
If the forums were free could we make fun of anime then?

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Who's done dissed anime in this thread??

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Justin Godscock posted:

But it really doesn't make any sense to have made The Wolverine given Fox knew DOFP was going to throw everything aside from First Class out the window including the good X-Men films (X1 and X2).

I disagree - Wolverine is now the sole carry-over from the previous set of films a la Old Spock in the Trek reboot, so it makes sense that he'd have his own wrap-up story before they wrote over it. He got a plot arc to deal with the emotional fallout of X-Men 3 before heading into the next arc. He's like closure personified at this point.

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012

sticklefifer posted:

I disagree - Wolverine is now the sole carry-over from the previous set of films a la Old Spock in the Trek reboot, so it makes sense that he'd have his own wrap-up story before they wrote over it. He got a plot arc to deal with the emotional fallout of X-Men 3 before heading into the next arc. He's like closure personified at this point.

Not exactly, unless Kitty Pride is going to be massaging his head from now on, our Wolverine's consciousness lives in the present and it seems like the movies are going in the direction of following the younger generation of X-men.

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib
I just watched this movie and all I can say is holy poo poo. There were so many great things happening in this flick. I loved how the film focused on a very small core group of charactors. It really reminded me of the x-men universe from back in the 80s and 90s. Most of the time the entire group was never together. My favorite stories were always the ones about the small ragtag/hodge podge group of x-men that weren't dead or mia that had to deal with some real poo poo with little support.

I stopped reading the comics a long time ago but I've always considered myself a fan. I heard the series really tanked so I never watched any after X2 (and honestly I wasn't really into that one either). I was totally skeptical when I heard about this movie being great but after seeing the rotten tomatoes scores I gave it a shot and I'm glad I did. They reset the timeline in classic comic story arc style and produced an exceptional comic movie. I loved it and I'm really excited to see an apocalypse movie (and hopefully it'll have mother loving cable).

davey4283 fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Oct 21, 2014

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
I'd give Xmen First Class a shot.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Does the opening scene take place in China to encourage Chinese people to see it?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
IIRC (and I don't know much about it so I might be wrong) China only allows a certain number of "non-Chinese" movies to be screened in the country every year; by adding these bogus China scenes Hollywood gets around this restriction (and the Chinese government sort of tacitly admits that they want to see more movies than this ban would allow). I believe Looper included some extra China scenes and had the main character move to China for the same exact reason.

Edit: I just wanted to say that, pertaining to this film, I love Fassbender's Magneto performance and love the character in this movie. He's a bad guy, but a perfectly understandable one. Magneto Was Right.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
^^ You are not the only one

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

IIRC (and I don't know much about it so I might be wrong) China only allows a certain number of "non-Chinese" movies to be screened in the country every year; by adding these bogus China scenes Hollywood gets around this restriction (and the Chinese government sort of tacitly admits that they want to see more movies than this ban would allow). I believe Looper included some extra China scenes and had the main character move to China for the same exact reason.

Edit: I just wanted to say that, pertaining to this film, I love Fassbender's Magneto performance and love the character in this movie. He's a bad guy, but a perfectly understandable one. Magneto Was Right.

Iron Man 3 had a whole subplot involving a Chinese scientist that was not in the American version.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Oct 23, 2014

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I love how seriously they took 1973. Early 70s aesthetic is one of my favorites, and they really made it look like 1973. Even Quicksilver's anachronistic tape deck looks like some appropriately late 60s piece of audio editing equipment (his headphones are bullshit though--the music doesn't have to be diegetic).

The future scenes seemed kind of strained and full of exposition, and also looked weirdly cheap for being probably pretty expensive.

I think I liked it aside from Jennifer Lawrence looking like a teenager playing dress up.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Jack Gladney posted:

I love how seriously they took 1973. Early 70s aesthetic is one of my favorites, and they really made it look like 1973. Even Quicksilver's anachronistic tape deck looks like some appropriately late 60s piece of audio editing equipment (his headphones are bullshit though--the music doesn't have to be diegetic).

They did some pretty good research on that.

http://www.tested.com/art/movies/461631-x-men-tale-portable-tape/

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

All of that is amazing, not just the stuff about the movie (which is amazing). I've never thought about what it must have been like to suddenly be able to stand outside and listen to music. I believe the guy when he says it was like he was floating to be able to hear music over headphones while in the forest.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Jack Gladney posted:

All of that is amazing, not just the stuff about the movie (which is amazing). I've never thought about what it must have been like to suddenly be able to stand outside and listen to music. I believe the guy when he says it was like he was floating to be able to hear music over headphones while in the forest.

I hope anyone listening to headphones in a forest gets mauled by a cougar.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
While listening to John Cougar Mellencamp

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I hope anyone listening to headphones in a forest gets mauled by John Cougar Mellencamp.

How about that?

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
I really loved this movie but it fails at time travel the same way Back to the Future did: 1973 Wolverine woke up from his possession, lived his life for fifty years, and then loving ceased to be for some other guy to inhabit his body. How does Professor X break this to Jean and everyone else? Even if he floods his brain with The Other Wolverine We Don't Care About's entire life history and thoughts, he's still not the same guy.

It's really morbid that the film considers it a happy ending with everything resolved.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Kasonic posted:

I really loved this movie but it fails at time travel the same way Back to the Future did: 1973 Wolverine woke up from his possession, lived his life for fifty years, and then loving ceased to be for some other guy to inhabit his body. How does Professor X break this to Jean and everyone else? Even if he floods his brain with The Other Wolverine We Don't Care About's entire life history and thoughts, he's still not the same guy.

It's really morbid that the film considers it a happy ending with everything resolved.

Well it is kind of a happy ending when the alternative is super terminators murdering all mutants and locking up all the humans.

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012

I think the more important question is whether the technology existed to be able to coherently play Time in a Bottle when it's sped up enough for Quicksilver to listen to half of it during a milliseconds-long gun fight.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

speshl guy posted:

I think the more important question is whether the technology existed to be able to coherently play Time in a Bottle when it's sped up enough for Quicksilver to listen to half of it during a milliseconds-long gun fight.

He just holds down FFWD the whole time

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

Kasonic posted:

As many people have said, it's a small price to pay for a world to exist where everyone isn't dead.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

How does one "fail" a fictional process that is at the behest of the creator of a narrative to use as he sees fit and whose rules are only defined by how they need to be defined to make the story work is the bigger question here.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Also, we haven't seen how the next movie will handle that 'problem' yet. Maybe they won't sweep it under the rug.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Kasonic posted:

Well let's call the Future Wolverine Wolverine F, and the other Wolverine Wolverine P.

If Wolverine F fails at his mission, there is no Wolverine P/Wolverine P has the same experiences as Wolverine F, basically. Wolverine P is just a guy who experiences a 3 day blackout before living out the exact same sequence of events as Wolverine F. Wolverine F and P both die on a slab 50 years after the Sentinel Incident, disintegrated by Sentinels during an unsuccessful attempt to change the past.

By changing events, Wolverine F creates Wolverine P, a version of himself that suffers from a 3 day blackout and then is pulled out of the Potomac and then lives through a mostly similar but more positive series of events. I think we can safely interpret Wolverine P's life as a "similar series of events" since he still ends up at the mansion, still knows all the same people, still has the same relationships with the characters and the characters have the same relationships with each other. In fact the only thing that seems to have changed is that the entire world wasn't reduced to a smoldering ruin by a mutant-human war and that the major events of X-3: The Last Stand didn't occur. In other words, the most egregious mistakes of the past never happened.

The movie did a poor job, IMO, of explaining that Wolverine P didn't experience a completely different life from Wolverine F. It would have helped, for example, if upon Wolverine F's return to the future, he popped his claws and ruefully discovered that they were still adamantium; that he had still gone through the Weapon X program and still lost his memory and still gone to the mansion with Rogue etc. etc. etc. and so essentially saying that Wolverine P had experienced 99% of the same things as Wolverine F and that this was the same character, just one who remembered a war that had been erased from history. Instead the movie ends with a scene of Wolverine P being pulled out of the Potomac by Mystique-as-Stryker, directly contradicting what went down in Wolverine: Origins (not that this is a bad thing!) and making the viewer think, "hold on, this new Wolverine is going through completely different experiences! And that will all be nullified in 50 years when Wolverine F pops back into his head and erases his memory of those different experiences!" But, unless the next movie contradicts this theory, I choose to interpret the happy ending as showing that both Wolverine F and P's lives followed the same general road until the beginning of the Sentinel/Mutant War (which isn't more than 10 years old).

This has been your daily pedantic nerd time travel discussion and over-analysis of a comic book movie. At least I had fun with it. :)

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

What are a few decades of differences in terms of Wolverine's long life anyways?

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I like MJ's explanation and will be keeping it from now on. It's not like some other Wolverine got erased, exactly, substantively it's the same person with just a few historical details different.

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012
A completely different consciousness with different memories entered a head one day. The consciousness that was there the day before no longer exists and has been superseded. I guess it depends on your definition of what makes 'you' you, but the fact that Xavier even has to fill Wolverine in at all on a different history proves that the consciousness that was in that head before no longer exists or has any affect on the current consciousness.

That's kind of messed up, the previous consciousness had no idea when he went to sleep that night that when he woke up, his body would have been taken over by an alternate reality version of himself.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Well, none of it's real, so I'll just go with the non-creepy non-hosed up explanation tyvm :shrug:

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Oct 25, 2014

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Yeah it is kind of messed up. Everyone everywhere dying is more so though!

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Wolverine just lost his memories again, he's been through it before. Except now he has new memories that are only kind of accurate to replace them.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Could be one of those deals where his new memories slowly start to surface so he doesn't go nuts.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Actually dying is probably a win for Wolverine at this point. Let him have this one.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
A thought struck me as I was jogging today: Wolverine is in a sense a rape survivor. This was a troubling thought.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Speleothing posted:

Also, we haven't seen how the next movie will handle that 'problem' yet. Maybe they won't sweep it under the rug.

Isn't Apocalypse taking place in the 80's? It should be Past Wolverine, then.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I personally hope that Wolverine of the 70s does not have any residual memories from Future Wolverine. It might be fun to start over with the character.

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012
Yeah probably for the best the guy was a mess and none of the movies made any effort to actually address his psychological problems aside from having him wake up in the middle of the night sweaty with his claws out. wow he's so haunted

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

speshl guy posted:

Yeah probably for the best the guy was a mess and none of the movies made any effort to actually address his psychological problems aside from having him wake up in the middle of the night sweaty with his claws out. wow he's so haunted

Did you watch The Wolverine?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
The way I interpreted Wolverine's interaction with Charles at the end, this is how I figured both the movie and its aftermath played out:

-Future Wolverine takes over 70s Wolverine's consciousness for a few days (aside from a few vague glimpses of what was happening when Kitty's link was shaken).
-With the conflict resolved, 70s Wolverine returns having no idea what happened, but I assume Charles explained it to him.
-Future Wolverine comes back in that denouement scene, taking over 70s Wolverine's mind again. Charles basically tells him they've got a lot to catch up on (end of movie).
-Charles fixes him so he now is able to merge both versions of himself (offscreen after DoFP).

Charles is the most powerful psychic in the world and can enter people's heads and change stuff around. I wouldn't doubt the way they go in the story (and the easiest way to retcon) is that Future Wolverine overwrites 70s Wolverine, but Charles used his psychic manipulation magic to unlock 70s Wolverine's memories and experiences since the last time Future Wolverine took over - kind of like how everything came flooding back whenever Ashton Kutcher returned from a blackout in that lovely movie The Butterly Effect. So he remembers what happened in this timeline but didn't actually experience it.

So going forward, Future Wolverine has taken over, but now he has 70s Wolverine's memories and current timeline experiences (from post-drowning up until pre-about-to-teach-a-history-class), as well as being the only person in the universe with memories of the events of X-Men 1-3 and the two Wolverine spinoffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
How come blink didn't just make a portal where a sentinels Arm goes through And then it hits himself in the head? How come she didn't just make s bunch of ground portals that went into the outside thin air from high up?

• Locked thread