Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
I didn’t help that I was listening to the book so I couldn’t just power through it,I had to go through at agonizingly slow reading pace.

But if laundry files stays so dated I don’t know if I can get past it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Demon_Corsair posted:

I didn’t help that I was listening to the book so I couldn’t just power through it,I had to go through at agonizingly slow reading pace.

But if laundry files stays so dated I don’t know if I can get past it.

I mean, he wrote it at the end of the 90s, it’s reflective of the time. It definitely tails off as time goes on.

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

my body is a temple to an idiot god
Yeah that changes.

Enjoy it as a historical artefact of what once had to be put up with because I can tell you some of it is horrifically accurate. There's decades of brilliant sci fi and fantasy with dated technological circumstances you shouldn't deprive yourself of. Just treat it as part of the visit to another world.

It doesn't last for long. One of the novels is a brilliant take on a Bond caper. Some of them get very deep into eldritch horror etc. They are quite varied in tone depending on who is the protagonist.

There is a short story about the real story behind unicorns and it is *eeeeeeep* the whole way.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

Kalman posted:

I mean, he wrote it at the end of the 90s, it’s reflective of the time. It definitely tails off as time goes on.

What the gently caress, the first one was published in 2004. Why does it read like 1993? I'm unreasonably shook by this.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I read one book by Stross (Accelerando, so probably rather different than his UF stuff) and I enjoyed the book and it did not leave me with a need to read anything else by him. I'm not quite sure how to reconcile this seeming contradiction, it's just how I feel.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Demon_Corsair posted:

What the gently caress, the first one was published in 2004. Why does it read like 1993? I'm unreasonably shook by this.

Because it was written around then and sat around for years while he tried to get it published?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
The new Benedict Jacka book An Inheritance of Magic is now available in the UK. The US has to wait till the 10th.

Is there anyway to snag a kindle copy if I live in the US? Maybe a VPN to the UK or something? I can't be the first goon to want international releases sooner. :mad:

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Hughmoris posted:

The new Benedict Jacka book An Inheritance of Magic is now available in the UK. The US has to wait till the 10th.

Is there anyway to snag a kindle copy if I live in the US? Maybe a VPN to the UK or something? I can't be the first goon to want international releases sooner. :mad:

Don't think you need a VPN, just buy it from the UK store.
(I just got it on audible)

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Miss Mowcher posted:

Don't think you need a VPN, just buy it from the UK store.
(I just got it on audible)

I gave that a go. Only options were shipping hard copies, no kindle edition available. I guess I'll have to wait till Tuesday. :mad:

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Hughmoris posted:

I gave that a go. Only options were shipping hard copies, no kindle edition available. I guess I'll have to wait till Tuesday. :mad:

You can change the store region, I’m neither in the US or the UK but my kindle stayed for a time on the US store. Well, it’s only a couple of days anyway, might not be worth some possible sync problems

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/StupefyingSF/status/1710259286020849716

https://stupefyingstories.blogspot.com/2023/10/til-experience-change-thy-mind-by-julie.html

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Benedict Jacka's new book is out, https://benedictjacka.co.uk/inheritance-of-magic/. It's...fine so far.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

xsf421 posted:

Benedict Jacka's new book is out, https://benedictjacka.co.uk/inheritance-of-magic/. It's...fine so far.

That's been my verdict for the first few chapters. I wish he would have kept the same magic system but we'll see if it pays off.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

xsf421 posted:

That was my overall verdict too. Fine shaving up to "pretty ok". Popcorn I read in a day. I'll probably read the next one. I think it'll be the sort of thing that's better once more of the books are out and you can see more of an arc.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Also found it fine, but there was far too much “magic mechanics” talk with lots of repetition

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Miss Mowcher posted:

Also found it fine, but there was far too much “magic mechanics” talk with lots of repetition
This poo poo right here is killing fantasy. Can't we just have magic that remains... magic? Where's the wonder and mystery?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

anilEhilated posted:

This poo poo right here is killing fantasy. Can't we just have magic that remains... magic? Where's the wonder and mystery?

Harder to write. Plus there's sort of a natural synergy with young protagonists learning things generally.

That said with this particular series the author seems to have literally looked at the market for "progression" stories, litrpgs, etc., and gone "I can do that but better, with character development and tighter writing" and, I mean, fair, dude has to make a living.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

anilEhilated posted:

Nerds really want to read about how many specific magic points a character puts into a spell and I do not get it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Lumbermouth posted:

Nerds really want to read about how many specific magic points a character puts into a spell and I do not get it.

I noticed when Sanderson took over the Wheel of Time that there was an immediate shift in how combat scenes were written, from "feels like a dude who has seen combat" to "feels like a dude who has seen movies."

Most of today's audience for fantasy novels has played a lot of video games.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
I knew this was the type of book where they have to explain the magic system. But reading, there were many times I was thinking “wait, didn't he already explained how this works / did the same thing before?” a couple of times.

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016
Nothing turns me off to a book faster than seeing the words "magic system." I want magic to be spooky and wonderful and mysterious, not come straight out of a loving RPG manual.

There are a weird number of nerds who seem incapable of relating to a story that isn't put in gaming terms. It's depressing how often people come to r/fantasy and post poo poo like "Aragorn is described as a ranger so why doesn't he get spells like in D&D?" or "Why is this character called a warlock in this book, when he doesn't have a demonic patron? That's not how warlocks are supposed to work" like there's some kind of uber-fantasy-canon that's defined by the Players Handbook. The idea that all this poo poo is just made up and can mean whatever an author imagines is alien to them.

DropTheAnvil
May 16, 2021
Just gonna chime in on the magic system. It's fun to learn about a new system, specially if you can figure things out in the book before its revealed. I'm not saying every book has to have a magic system, but I do see why they exist and why they are popular.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

DropTheAnvil posted:

Just gonna chime in on the magic system. It's fun to learn about a new system, specially if you can figure things out in the book before its revealed. I'm not saying every book has to have a magic system, but I do see why they exist and why they are popular.

Agreed. If the author is doing a bog basic D&D ripoff, they can shut up about how it works. If you've got something interesting to say, especially if the mechanics advance the plot, let's hear it.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Fantasy authors are all cowards because the magic system from Unknown Armies is RIGHT THERE and no one will touch it. Give me Harry Dresden literally getting his powers from making people mad at him or Daniel Faust having to juice up by running across the freeway.

cardinale
Jul 11, 2016

Lumbermouth posted:

Fantasy authors are all cowards because the magic system from Unknown Armies is RIGHT THERE and no one will touch it. Give me Harry Dresden literally getting his powers from making people mad at him or Daniel Faust having to juice up by running across the freeway.
In the YA Scholomance series by Naomi Novak, the protagonist is a "strict mana" witch so gets her magical energy from doing tons of exercise, push ups and sit ups which I thought was a fun detail because she was otherwise a crabby teenage goth but presumably had sick abs

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
In the Incryptid series, route witches get their powers from travelling. I thought that was cute.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

cardinale posted:

In the YA Scholomance series by Naomi Novak, the protagonist is a "strict mana" witch so gets her magical energy from doing tons of exercise, push ups and sit ups which I thought was a fun detail because she was otherwise a crabby teenage goth but presumably had sick abs

And crochet. Evil sorceress of death and destruction fuming as she counts her stitches.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
In the Craft Sequence the witches get power through obscure accounting practices and winning legal battles.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Rereading Rosemary and Rue, book one in the October Daye series and while I'm really digging the fae characters and setting, and I'm enjoying the incredible horror of the koi part, I think another part of me is more exasperated by Toby as a protagonist, mostly because I've been reading a lot of urban fantasy lately and almost all of those have hardboiled angry women who don't belong to society but strive to do good anyways and they reject help and fight good things and

and I think my brain is trying to ask me to reread the Elantra series just because Kaylin there is a doofus instead of this writ large:

"Down these mean streets a man must go who is not himself mean, who is neither tarnished nor afraid. The detective must be a complete man and a common man and yet an unusual man. He must be, to use a rather weathered phrase, a man of honor. He talks as the man of his age talks, that is, with rude wit, a lively sense of the grotesque, a disgust for sham, and a contempt for pettiness."
— "The Simple Art of Murder," Raymond Chandler

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Edit: Corrections from phone posting.

I recently started a relisten as well. I was surprised how early she starts seeding ideas that will be important later.

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Dec 17, 2023

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback
If you're doing a setting that's all about magic, I think it's fine to want to know how it works. What determines a person's power? Does it exhaust them? Is it something anyone can do? The more relevant it is to the plot, the more I want to know.

If it's more character based or surreal like a China Mieville novel or something, then it isn't really as important.

I always thought Verus' system was a little aggravating because it rode a line between making it more about the characters or more about the 'system', but didn't really settle on either. And what made it worse was that there was never really a clear enough distinction of 'this is the way magic works' vs 'this is the way Verus thinks it works'. For instance, Verus says how fire magic works, but you never get one of the two prominent fire mage characters talking about their magic.

Lumbermouth posted:

The horniness in the Sandman Slim books is surprisingly subdued for how aggro and over the top the rest of the books are.

Sandman Slim has a sex scene where the male protagonist doesn't climax, and he's OK with that, because it was more about the intimacy than the sex itself. That is the last thing I expected to find in a Sandman Slim book but it's cool to see something like that in fiction.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

M_Gargantua posted:

In the Craft Sequence the witches get power through obscure accounting practices and winning legal battles.

I kind of prefer Pratchett's witches, who seem to get their power through being more stubborn than reality and forcing it to conform to their belief in what it should be.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Liquid Communism posted:

I kind of prefer Pratchett's witches, who seem to get their power through being more stubborn than reality and forcing it to conform to their belief in what it should be.

That's but one method, predominantly used by Granny Weatherwax and, later, Tiffany Aching.

Nanny Ogg, on the other hand, invites reality over for a cuppa, tells it fourteen inappropriate jokes for the setting, and rewrites reality while it's flustered.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Granny tells reality what it should be.

Nanny convinces reality it should let her get away with stuff because it can't think of a good reason to stop her.

Magrat picks a archetype and embodies it, and reality goes along for the ride.

All different takes on the same theory.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
And Agnes is two minds about everything and makes it work for her.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Are there any upcoming release dates for the various UF series? Dresden, RoL, etc?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Are there any upcoming release dates for the various UF series? Dresden, RoL, etc?

Michelle Sagara's Cast in Atonement is dropping August 6, 2024
No ETA on new LKHs for now
Kim Harrison's Demon's Bluff drops Oct 22, 2024
Patricia Briggs' Winter Lost drops Jun 18, 2024
Nalini Singh's Archangel's Lineage drops April 23, 2024
Seanan McGuire's Aftermarket Afterlife drops March 5, 2024

I'm using fantastic fiction for the dates and the author's personal websites and we've got a stacked year this year, it's great, even if I'm sad there's no new LKH.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Whew. I'm re-reading the Joe Pitt casebooks. That is some different, dark urban fantasy and it's such a tonal change from Rivers/Dresden and the rest. Charlie Huston does good work. His non-UF stuff is pretty drat good, too.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Not sure if it counts as urban fantasy, but the second book in the craft wars drops the first week of April.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

StrixNebulosa posted:

Michelle Sagara's Cast in Atonement is dropping August 6, 2024
No ETA on new LKHs for now
Kim Harrison's Demon's Bluff drops Oct 22, 2024
Patricia Briggs' Winter Lost drops Jun 18, 2024
Nalini Singh's Archangel's Lineage drops April 23, 2024
Seanan McGuire's Aftermarket Afterlife drops March 5, 2024

I should try some of those, I'd mostly written a lot of those authors off as more "paranormal romance" than "urban fantasy". Seanan McGuire especially, in the October Daye series she kept retconning things in annoying ways and then it was all magical kittykat boyfriend all the time and I just checked out.

What I really miss is the first few books of Dresden where the noir influence was still strong and it hadn't devolved into a MMORPG with level-ups. Even Alex Verus is over now and Jacka's new series is expressly progression fantasy.