Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nevhix
Nov 18, 2006

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.
Totally worth staying up til the wee hours of the morning to finish initial read through.

So, anyone else get the potential significance of (SPOILERS FOR NEAR END OF BOOK) there being five items tied to Christ in Hades vault? The fact that 5 things are routinely used to summon something leads me to believe that the B.A.T. will be kicked off by summoning Christ himself. See also Deidre's comment about "saving the world"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nevhix
Nov 18, 2006

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Khizan posted:

Firstly, Harry was a lot less capable back in Summer Knight, so of course the knights seemed like terrifying badasses. He was at the level of power where fighting a Knight was an "oh poo poo" moment; now he is at the level of power where fighting a Knight is pretty meh.

The other thing is that we only have Butter's speculation that that is how the Mantles work, based on his observations of Harry's healing. Back in Cold Days, Fix does a ~37 foot wire-fu leaping sword attack from a standing start, and he does it effortlessly; Harry's sure he could have gone further. In comparison, the record for a standing long jump is something like 12 feet. You don't get that kind of power by just removing the governor on the human physique.

What I think it might be is that Harry's not using the full potential of the mantle. This could be because Harry puts so much effort into keeping Winter down and under control, while Fix is far more in tune with his inner Summer. If this is the case, maybe part of the reason Mab wanted Harry as a Knight so badly is to have a Knight who can fight at those levels of power without having to give into it.

Actually, didn't Butters say in the Skin Game text say (I know it's speculation, but just in case) that the "governor" on the human physique limited humans to roughly 1/3rd of their potential? And Harry realized even without the mantle in the Tessa fight that he was much stronger because of his training beyond what he normally would have been capable of, and the 37' jump cited is roughly three times the 12' that you cite. I'd say that's pretty credible actually.

Nevhix
Nov 18, 2006

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

daggerdragon posted:

One more chapter. Just one more chapter... one more... oh sun's up, okay fine one more chapter and I'll go to bed... WHAT DO YOU MEAN HARRY'S DEAD MUST READ NEXT CHAPTER WHAT DO YOU MEAN THERE'S NO CHAPTERS LEFT?!?!??????????

Yeah, that...and when I first got into series and finished my first read through guess what book had just released? That's right, Changes. Jim Butcher is an evil evil man.

Nevhix
Nov 18, 2006

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Getting whoever did the fights for Daredevil to do them for Dresden would be the best thing. Would dig it a bunch if they were the ones that got the rights in the end.

Please not CW or AMC.

CW has done passable, mostly true to source, and fun/entertaining jobs with D.C. comic shows Arrow, Flash, Supergirl and Legends of Tomorrow, might not be so bad.

Plus, Butcher already writes the books like CW Casting with everyone being so pretty.