Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Just finished up my reread of Cold Days, and I gotta ask, anyone notice that Harry is now dropping F-bombs like crazy now that he's the winter knight?

It just struck me as odd. Don't recall reading that many of them in the earlier books, and now it seems like there's quite a few more of em.

Way less Hell's Bells though, which, I guess is a better thing cause man that always sounded kinda dumb to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Finished it up tonight and holy balls this was awesome.

This is the one series where each book has pretty much been way better than the one before, with the personal exception of that splattercon book cause that one was just kinda "meh".

Big ending spoilers for the book!
Best idea I have for the knife he found was maybe Abraham's knife he was going to use to sacrifice his kid? There aren't that many knives in the bible, and it'd have to be pretty old considering it's a brass one. Hell, might have even been the weapon Cain used to off Abel since they never really talk about what the specific weapon was.

I dunno if it counts as a spoiler or not, but just to be safe? I kinda miss Toot and Thomas. I mean, I kinda get why they weren't in the book due to the time limit of the book, but I always enjoy seeing em pop up in the novels. Plus I was wondering how Butcher was going to handle Toot being in love.

I did notice way less cussing this time around though, so that was nice.

Quick question, when reading the series and you hear Michael speaking... does anyone else read that in Liam Neeson's voice? I know he's not midwestern, and I know he's not some blonde thor looking dude like Michael is supposed to be but god drat that voice in my head always defaults to Liam and I dunno why. Been that way since they first introduced him.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander fucked around with this message at 09:43 on May 27, 2014

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I thought Oberheit was just german for too tall or upper floor or something.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Another thing to think about... regarding Ascher anyway.

She might be lying. She's got a fallen angel in her head, she knew the whole time that Harry was basically fighting to not give into winter and the whole sex crazed maniac feelings he has, so busting out a "horrible rape story" in the middle of a big fight to shake him up makes sense. Doesn't matter if it's true or not.

Harry is a big softy. If he wasn't, then he would basically not be Harry. Some poor downtrodden girl who GASP was raped and that's the ONLY REASON she killed someone with magic (you know, just like Harry did as a kid) might be someone you would try to take it easy on, and end up with a knife in the ribs for it.

He didn't, cause he's not stupid, but it seems like a perfectly logical gambit to make when you have the same fallen angel in your head that he had in his, who knows him and how he thinks. Or knew him, and how he thought, before he became all winterized.

Just my take on it.

Regarding the Mantle, I think Harry just isn't accessing it as much. The previous Knights kinda went into it full blast. used the power as much as possible, and were complete monsters and assholes. Harry is only using the power when he absolutely needs to. That might be why he's not exactly coming across as the superman that a lot of people thought he would be.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Because Polka will never die. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

docbeard posted:

I'm honestly a little more dismayed, after some thought, that Lasciel, who was built up as a subtle temptress and who (through Lash) presented herself as an eminently sensible being, was presented here as RAR I WILL SMASH YOU BECAUSE YOU REJECTED ME.

I dunno man, regarding the character in that spoiler, didn't her shadow in Harry's head end up setting him on fire or something via illusion just to prove she COULD gently caress with him if she wanted to, but preferred to go the nicer route? She's a fallen angel, she's ready to torture the poo poo out of a human host to get what she wants, she is not a nice being. Her going a bit bonkers cause not only did Harry go "NOPE, EVERY TRAIN FROM NOPEVILLE, LEAVING NOW" when it came to claiming her coin, he also rejected her as a being, and ended up messing up her shadow in his head by making it regret what it had done.

I mean, he got a fallen angel's mini me to sacrifice itself so he wouldn't die. ALL THAT is way more than just petty rejection, he got under her skin (somewhat literally) and ended up being a bald faced proclamation of "THIS COULD BE YOU. YOU COULD BE A GOOD PERSON. YOU JUST SUCK." by having a clone of her in his head turn out to be a nice person, and that alone should be more than enough to light the fuse on an already pissed off fallen.

Just my take on the situation though.