Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

StonecutterJoe posted:

You only remember it as a Jewish dating website, while the rest of the world remembers it as a novel. In fact, as recently as last week, it WAS a Jewish dating website. But not anymore.

Bearnstein Bears theory mk. II begins itt :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

It might be because I read The Rook and listened to Stiletto, but I actually found the second one much more entertaining. The narrator nails the performance in a way so few do (I’m looking at you, dude that narrates Alex Verus), and her teenage boy voice is hilarious every time.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

anilEhilated posted:

Dark mages are really Goonfleet.

Drahk is Mitanni? This is strangely starting to make sense.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The problem is Michael wouldn't be a Knight, he'd just be a dude.

Pretty sure Sansa would do him a solid if he asked.

e: loving autocorrect, I meant Sanya.

OptimusWang fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jul 13, 2018

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

It's more than just borrowing a sword -- like, clearly, the Courts are part of the defense against the Outsiders (the whole Outsiders plotline feels like a retcon but w/e). As such, it's quite possible that Molly's new role is part of God's plan.

Michael going after Mab because of personal family "get my daughter back" style revenge would be as much a failing as when Harry tries to save the Sword by lying at the start of Book 3.

I should have been clearer; I meant Sanya would likely go himself if Michael framed it the way you originally did, that Molly’s soul was in danger.

That said, I can’t imagine Butcher going that route given Harry’s trajectory and what we know about the Outsiders.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

My only complaint about the new Verus book is that there wasn't room for a longer scene with Caldera.

I was bummed about that too, though Caldera clearly wanted nothing to do with Alex, even when everything went to hell.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

Oh 100%. I haven’t reread the previous book since it dropped, but I want to say the last time he saw her was when he gave her the slip in London and actually ended up hurting her.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

So I’m 6 chapters into the first Faust book and this is pretty good you guys. Some of the characters feel pretty cookie-cutter, but otherwise I dig it.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

xsf421 posted:

Good news for you, Schaefer puts out a book every 3 months or so between his 3 current series set in the same universe.

Thank god, I had just finished catching up on the last 3 Sandman Slim books and was seriously considering going back to the Iron Druid books.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Just be ready to put the series down after whichever book it is that Sandman Slim destroys the soul-devouring engine beneath Hell with a simple blood magic spell and damns the universe because that is never resolved.

If you’re talking about Tartarus, that gets resolved.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

About twenty minutes into the book I realized the narrator for the audiobook sounds not unlike the guy who did the dramatization for the Doom comic on Youtube.

They’re dumb as hell, but I actually really like the narrator. He somehow manages to sell Stark as self-aware vs an over-the-top edgelord.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

hatelull posted:

I just finished the most recent entry into that series, Hollywood Dead.

At this point, Kadrey has come full circle with the character and pretty much hit the reset button. Ten books in, and Stark is now pretty much back to how he appears in the first book with maybe a bit more humanity? I don't know. He's not as edgy, but still has the love/hate relationship with LA that apparently one can only truly appreciate by living in LA.

I liked it, and it was a quick read. I'm curious to see where he takes it from here since a lot of the board got reset.

For those that care, by the end of the book Stark:

Is now really alive again, after having died at the end of The Perdition Score and all of The Kill Society playing mad max on the outskirts of hell. He also has access to the room of thirteen doors again (I forget how many books he spent without it), so yeah he can pretty much loving go anywhere and play assassin ninja 24/7. He still has the black knife, so every car in the word is his and it can cut through everything. AAAAAAAAAAAND he still has that goofy hell weapon that does whatever the gently caress he wants it to do (I still don't have a good picture of that in my head).

Seriously, with that sort of power scale he should just be an Assassins Creed style video game character.

Ubisoft would never let their main character be in an open relationship :v:

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

gerg_861 posted:

It was me who mentioned this. I was told that it does get better, but I'll admit that I picked up the Craig Schaefer books (Daniel Faust/Harmony Black), and I've not looked back. I've polished off 12 of those since the start of October.

I just started on the 2nd Faust book and was surprised to see Harmony Black pop up. At what point should I hit pause on the Faust books and start on hers? Is there a timeline or something to reference?

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

I’ve been following that progression, currently stalled in Red Knight Falling. Schaefer writes a great Dresden/Verus style book, but the police procedural isn’t his strong suit. Do the other two trilogies get better or should I just go back to reading Faust?

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

Apoffys posted:

Huh, OK. I couldn't see anything stating when it was set, but that explains it. Setting it after an unreleased novel seems like a weird choice though, since it slightly spoils the novel...

Spoiler alert: nothing ever goes well for Harry, why would the new book be any different?

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

So I just finished The Revanche Cycle and have no clue how in the hell these tie back to the main Faust plot. Even the way magic is used is wildly different.

The only thing I picked up on was the cycle of death and rebirth, but everything from BSG to The Wheel of Time has abused that trope, and nobody in this series had the formal titles like they do in Faust.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Nessa is literally The Witch.

Mari is literally The Knight.

Are those mentioned yet in the Faust books? I’m reading them in order and only remember him being faked into the role of The Thief.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

Nice! I’ll keep reading then for the Vader-esque payoff :unsmith:

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

So I finished The Killing Floor and started on Glass Predator gently caress yeah Mari! :dance:.

Does Harmony’s stomach cramps ever get explained beyond the “family curse” line in her first book?

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

Victorkm posted:

I don't really see any reason to explain it beyond it being the price her witch magic extracts in exchange for using it.

In the Revanche Cycle everything is fueled by blood - it’s consistent. In Faust-land people just sort of do magic, and no other magic users I’ve seen there so far have this issue. It’s not a complaint, I was just wondering if that difference meant anything in the bigger picture.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

Gotcha, thanks!

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

About Butter’s Sword: Did anyone else think the lightsaber/conservation of energy scene was to setup Butters as the only being that can pierce the titan’s armor? I loved the Sansa loses a hand gag as much as anyone (and it does reinforce that this book is Empire), but why else do it?

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

Beachcomber posted:

Anyone who hasn't read Peace Talks yet, the one thing I wish I'd brushed up on before reading was the short stories, which I only kind of remembered. Bleh. Read 3-15 in 22 days. I shouldn't have taken a break.

100% this. If you haven’t read Bombshells, there’s a whole subplot that won’t make sense.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

Everyone posted:

It was basically Harry Dresden and the Deathly Hallows: Part I There was a bunch of set-up, a couple of set pieces and it ends on what was supposed to be a "gently caress yeah! poo poo just got real!" note.

The best part about this comparison is that Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows was one book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

It's interesting to look at the various "second generation" UF authors and look at how they have tried to improve on Dresden. Aaronovitch has better prose and a more grounded, detailed "reality" about it. Jacka's Verus does a better job of keeping it all dark and gritty and the action at knife-fight pacing, closer to the noir roots instead of Dresden's inflated, videogamesque progression.

I've read the first few Faust books and I see why people like them. Personally I just have a really hard time getting past the succubus love interest thing, and the plots always seem a bit special-sunflower-deus-ex-machina to me.

His Charlie McCabe series takes place outside of the shared universe his other books live in, and is excellent. It’s not UF at all, but it captures the noir feel really well if that’s your thing.