Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KellHound
Jul 23, 2007

I commend my soul to any god that can find it.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Mount Char we both read and thought was good but forgettable. However, Scholomance is new to me so I double-checked his kindle and he's never heard of Novik it seems. Was a little turned off when I read "magic school", but the summary seems much more engaging than that phrase would lead you to believe. Looks certainly good enough to try.

Thanks!

If magic school puts you off and since your dad doesn't like series, maybe try Spinning Silver or Uprooted by the same author. They are stand alone and really good. Not urban fantasy though, just straight up fantasy.

Edit: Also Scholomance trilogy is a YA series and while good has a lot of YA in it. Spinning Silver and Uprooted are aimed at adults.

KellHound fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Dec 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KellHound
Jul 23, 2007

immoral_ posted:

I'd like to recommend The Utterly Uninteresting and Unadventurous Tales of Fred, the Vampire Accountant by Drew Hayes.

It's got vampire, were horses, fae, but not Mab, mage and an Agency.

The blurb from amazon: Some people are born boring. Some live boring. Some even die boring. Fred managed to do all three, and when he woke up as a vampire, he did so as a boring one. Timid, socially awkward, and plagued by self-esteem issues, Fred has never been the adventurous sort.

One fateful night – different from the night he died, which was more inconvenient than fateful – Fred reconnects with an old friend at his high school reunion. This rekindled relationship sets off a chain of events thrusting him right into the chaos that is the parahuman world, a world with chipper zombies, truck driver wereponies, maniacal necromancers, ancient dragons, and now one undead accountant trying his best to “survive.” Because even after it’s over, life can still be a downright bloody mess.

I really recommend the audio books, Kirby Heyborne does an amazing job on every character.

No one ever talks about it in this thread and that makes me a little sad, because it's better written than a lot of the UF stuff out there, and probably the best depiction of a romance.

I'm seconding this rec! The series is a collection of slightly episodic short stories with an overarching narrative. Most of the problems are fairly low stakes. I found as a breath of fresh air since a lot of urban fantasy is about magic cops.

Edit: The romance is very very light. Fred and his girlfriend are just dating. Their relationship is usually in the forefront when it's something like planning a vaca around him not being able to go in the sun.

KellHound fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jan 23, 2023

KellHound
Jul 23, 2007

Personally, I think after Ghost Story my interest in the Dresden Files took a nose dive. That characters I liked all seemed be getting sidelines and because of power creep they were shifting from noir mystery to the book equivalent of action movies. Fortunately, I found better urban fantasy books around that time.