Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
So, I've been keeping tabs on the thread and noting down series recommendations here and there.

So far I've checked from the OP:
Alex Verus - I really liked it, still have one book to go.
Daniel Faust - Not bad, first two books are quite short (~280 pages) and I read that it gets better after book 3, so I'll keep reading.
Rivers of London - Ehh... Liked the first one, 2 and 3 were... alright I guess?
Felix Castor - Read the first one. Boring.
The Rook was loving fantastic and I can't wait for the next one to come out.
Laundry Files - Couldn't make it past the first book. Not my cup of tea.

So, all that introduction text is so I can ask you guys for recommendations. So far I have these on my list:

Series:
Pax Arcana - Elliot James
Garett P.I. - Glen Cook
Nightside - Simon Green Apparently poo poo!
Daniel Blackland - Greg Van Eekhout

Single books:
The Unnoticeables - Robert Brockway

Any of those I should be getting right now? Any to avoid?
Cheers.

Decius posted:

Finished the Aeronaut's Windlass and liked it well enough, far less steampunk than I feared it would be (and reasonable explanations for the steampunk tropes and gimmicks used) and even the cat thing wasn't bad. However, he runs into the same problem all books set in a (faux) Regency era with wooden ships (or their flying crystal-powered equivalent): They have to compare to Patrick O'Brian and Jane Austen for me and there aren't many writers who can favorably. Still, good enough to continue reading the series.

I liked it well enough but yeah, after reading some O'Brian (and hell, even the first couple Temeraire books), the ship combat fell on its face, which was sad since they had been building up for a big skirmish for quite a bit of the book, or at least it certainly felt like it.

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Oct 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Alright, looks like Nightside is out of the list. :v:

I tried doing a repetitive joke post and just couldn't; writing creatively in another language is a whole other ballpark apparently. :(

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

torgeaux posted:

Kate griffin midnight mayor series.

The Fool mentioned it a few posts up, I added it to my list. I also had The Library at Mount Char by Scott Hawkins jotted down somewhere and forgot to mention it before.

At least that one's not a 10 volume series; it's awesome discovering a new author/character and finding out you have 10something more books to go through, but sometimes it can be a bit daunting.

I'll probably give Kate Griffin a shot, followed by Garret P.I. (since those are the two that are getting mentions, aside from the massive "no" that Nightside got); that should keep me busy for a while.

I also have The Croning here, but I may be too much of a wuss to start it. :v:

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

cultureulterior posted:

Twenty Palaces series. Start with Child of Fire. It's about a secret modern-day organization of sorcerers which has their goal to eliminate magic, which is heavily lovecraftean. Main character is a sorcerer's flunky.

Hasn't Twenty Palaces been cancelled?

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Nah. Onyx might not, at the surface level, like any authority that is not his own- but he also somewhat clearly wants Morden's respect and is super-pissed Magic Dad loves his step-son Alex more than him.

Also, Cinder remarks upon that. He talks about how Alex isn't like the light Mages, how he's more ruthless. Alex starts talking about how he isn't really that dangerous, and Cinder tells him he's full of poo poo in so many words. Says that he expects that by the end of the night, Alex will be alive and everyone against him won't be.

And that kind of takes him aback. It's a mixture of Alex' rational acknowledgment re: the limitations his magic places upon him, and the inner conflict that forms a line throughout the books and takes central stage at the end of seven leading into eight.

Given the title of the ninth book is 'Fallen', we're likely going to see that go even further in September.

"How many people that have gone against you are still alive?"

Cinder is one of the few people who have gone against Alex and realised just how loving dangerous Alex is. Everyone else (including Alex himself) keeps underestimating him and getting wiped.
Iirc, at some point they mention most diviners keep to themselves and Alex is pretty much the only one we've seen fighting, so a lot of this comes from the perceived power difference between a guy who can "only" peek at the future and someone like Cinder or Onyx that can level a loving building if they want to.

Last (maybe second to last?) book spoilers:
And maybe Morden, because after that vault fight I wouldn't be surprised if he was a diviner as well, but if he is... well, it only cements how dangerous diviners are :v:

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Drone Jett posted:

Morden!=Drahk

Whoops. At least looks like people got what I meant. :v:

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Been doing a bit of catching up with Daniel Faust; I had read the first 3 books and the first Harmony Black one and just finished up books 4-5.

Do I "need" to read the rest of the Harmony Black books to get the most of what this seems to be setting up? I really enjoy the Faust books but kinda hated the Black one.

I seem to recall at least another one of Schaefer's series ties into the Faust "universe" somehow? (Book 5 theory) unless I'm misremembering it sounded like a previous cycle of the whole Paladin/Thief/Enemy tarot thing The Smile is going on about? I may be way off mark though :v:

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Yeah, I was taking a look at an order guide and looks like Wisdom’s Grave takes places between... Faust 8 and Black 5? Am I reading this right?

I'll give the second Black a try next then, since it seems to take place right after Killing Floor Blues.

Cheers!

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Mar 27, 2023

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I got Peace Talks and Battle Ground at the same time and never even got to BG.

Peace Talks has to be the horniest book I've ever read in a weird, uncomfortable way. The whole Butters wolf threesome thing and that entire sequence with... was it Lara? In a shaft or something put me off the series for good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I've been making my way up the Faust series and related 'crossover' books, need to finish the third Wisdom's Grave book before I go back to the mains but I've been super lazy with reading lately.

May pick up the new Jacka series, I liked Verus enough and his books tend to be on the short side. :v: