Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
Wow, I predicted virtually none of the things that happened, but they all made sense when they happened. Nice caper story as well as a Dresden story.

Khizan posted:

The Knights are big mojo, yes... but so is Harry. He was a big deal even before he was the Winter Knight. He raised a zombie dinosaur, rode it through a storm of dark magic, and defeated two necromancers. He mastered Demonreach and became the Warden. He took on a naagloshii and came fairly close to soloing something that Morgan had to use a nuclear weapon to get rid of. He bested Nicodemus and the Denarians twice. He stormed Arctis Tor and took down Eldest Fetch.

We're seeing the world through Harry's eyes, and Harry is on a level of power where the Knights just aren't as impressive as they used to be because Dresden's personal power has increased.

Let's face it, almost nobody in the series is as impressive really as they were earlier from Harry's perspective; compare Nicky in his first appearance to how Harry deals with him in this book. Hell, Dresden outright challenges Nicodemus on his strongest suit, cleverness, and beats the crap out of him at it. With a lot of help admittedly wow Mab just utterly hosed Nicky up with a VERY long con game, don't break the Accords indeed, but that's pretty much how Dresden works period, and his own part took more than a little cunning of its own.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Another thing to think about... regarding Ascher anyway.

She might be lying. She's got a fallen angel in her head, she knew the whole time that Harry was basically fighting to not give into winter and the whole sex crazed maniac feelings he has, so busting out a "horrible rape story" in the middle of a big fight to shake him up makes sense. Doesn't matter if it's true or not.

Harry is a big softy. If he wasn't, then he would basically not be Harry. Some poor downtrodden girl who GASP was raped and that's the ONLY REASON she killed someone with magic (you know, just like Harry did as a kid) might be someone you would try to take it easy on, and end up with a knife in the ribs for it.

He didn't, cause he's not stupid, but it seems like a perfectly logical gambit to make when you have the same fallen angel in your head that he had in his, who knows him and how he thinks. Or knew him, and how he thought, before he became all winterized.

Just my take on it.

Regarding the backstory bit - one thing about the rape that makes me a little more tolerant of it is that it does fit the whole "Ascher is Harry's dark mirror" thing better. Justin wasn't trying to kill Harry (at least originally) after all, but use him for his own purposes. The plan even included "mind rape" after all, and we can't be sure how far Justin got into that before Harry fought him off. So it's fair to say Harry didn't just kill out of fear of his life but of fear of being violated. Barring some sort of similar mentor betrayal in Ascher's past (which would be a little TOO convenient really), fighting off a rape with fatal results fits the mirror theme reasonably well. So it's not quite just pulling a dubiously sexist cliché out of the bag if it is true (and if it was Lasciel lying, that also fits her characterization).

quote:

Regarding the Mantle, I think Harry just isn't accessing it as much. The previous Knights kinda went into it full blast. used the power as much as possible, and were complete monsters and assholes. Harry is only using the power when he absolutely needs to. That might be why he's not exactly coming across as the superman that a lot of people thought he would be.

I rather like that thought on it. Harry really doesn't rely on it as much as his magic anyway, whereas somebody like Slate pretty much had the Mantle and nothing else. Might also be a factor of the Knight's personality shaping things as well; Harry has pretty much run on the "take the hit and keep fighting on through the pain" thing the whole series, that might explain why the Winter Knight's power works the way it does.

Korgan posted:

You just reminded me of a quote from Ghost Story.

Spoilers for the current book I guess:

"Butters," rumbled Skaldi Hair Ball. If he really had broken fingers, it didn't look like they were bothering him much. "When are you going to get in this ring and train like a man?"
"About five minutes after I get a functional lightsaber," Butters replied easily, much to Hair Ball's amusement.

Bwahahahaha, nice foreshadowing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

ookiimarukochan posted:

replying to the above spoilers

Yeah, it's sad that Andy died, but I don't think Angleton is gone for good - there was a bit too much about him testing Bob for me to think that that wasn't some sort of test, "how do you cope when I'm not here" - unfortunately we won't find out for at least 3 years as Bob won't be narrating either of the next two Laundry books

He specifically stated to Mo he felt his death was coming soon in Fuller Memorandum, so I think it's real and it sticks. Builds up the pressure for Nightmare Green too by removing the guy who's logically the best source they have on the subject. I think the "testing" was very much in the nature of a final exam type thing.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Wade Wilson posted:

My working theory is that when Butters was soul-gazed by the necromancers he actually hardened the gently caress up and puts on the scared nerd act to throw people off.

I mean, how else did he end up with werewolf Andi? The Butters that was first introduced certainly wouldn't have been able to start a relationship with her.

Anything those events didn't change in him probably got changed after Harry died and he started getting involved in fighting the Fomor. Also, he had Bob filling him in on everything, and actually knowing more about what he was fighting would probably help with the fear factor. Honestly I can't understand the idea of Butters as a Marty Stu, he was already manning up by the end of Dead Beat so I can't buy him as a real coward (and God knows if *I* started getting attacked by the undead and necromancers I'd probably freak out just as much at first if not worse). He's certainly not an invincible god considering how he got his butt kicked in Ghost Stories by both the warlock and Corpsetaker (hell, it took literal miracles to save him in Skin Games), and most of his "power-ups" have been reasonably logical with the biggest ones being after he got schooled in some way (i.e. courage goes up a lot after Dead Beat, and his actual combat skill in the last book after the aforementioned Ghost Stories defeats) which would certainly give good motivation to him to change.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Grundulum posted:

And, in the background, Ebenezer will wink and give Harry a thumbs-up. You're right, though, we feel overdue for a White Council book.

Good news, Jim Butcher said the next book will apparently be "Peace Talks", about the Fomor and White Council negotiating peace (with no problems at all occurring during this, naturally). So they would obviously make a reappearance there. At least this time the White Council is gonna have trouble blaming Harry for THIS war considering he was dead when it started.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Wade Wilson posted:

I'm pretty sure in Changes that Harry remarks about how he has to re-apply magic to the spells on his duster every few months or so when comparing the Leanansidhe's armor to his own work.

Also in Skin Games Butters had to ask Bob to power the duster's spells when he used it in the end fight, so those kinds of items may depend on the wizard's magic too. I'd imagine potion makers and the like exist among the lesser talents (potions apparently being the only magic item regular people can use on their own) but most magic items seem to be wizard-specific, or you'd think Harry would have geared up Murphy by now.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

docbeard posted:

I can just about see the thought process that was behind the scene. Titania was trying to make a point about emotional reactions overriding logic, to explain why she was about thirty seconds away from going gently caress YOU HARRY DRESDEN DIE DIE DIE because of Harry's involvement in her daughter's death, even though he was making complete sense and it was in her best interests to help him, and even though Aurora had to be stopped for the sake of the world.

But yeah, the end result was pretty bad.

Honestly I thought the Titania scene in Cold Days was actually getting at one of the core themes that keeps popping up in the series, free will. Harry basically stated he'd protect free will even for people he doesn't necessarily agree with (and homosexual sex, particularly the loveless "bad" kind at the park, isn't a bad example to bring up for a "things people want to control the free will of others to stop" discussion). You can (fairly) argue it wasn't executed well, but I don't think it was gratuitous; homosexuality is a subject a lot of people today would very much like to take away people's choices about. Sounding Harry out about it is a reasonable proxy for finding out his attitude towards an enemy that strips free will away from its victims.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Rygar201 posted:

I had figured that there was someone in the higher echelons who was a true believer but your theory is on point. I'm interested in seeing where Butcher takes it.

At this point I rather suspect there is no "Circle" per se, just Nemesis-infected people and a lot of recruited dupes. Assuming Dresden's correct about the role of Nemesis being just pure saboteur to get the gates open for the rest of the Outsiders, then there's no reason there has to be some clever "change the wizard world to our way of thinking" plan going on at higher levels. Nemesis is just finding whatever levers it can among people who are dissatisfied with the status quo and pulling every single one it can. It's not like the Outsiders would especially care who won in a Red Court/White Council war or the current Fomori conflicts, all they want is the enemies most likely to oppose them divided and weakened by other conflicts. Spread stories about changing the rules or getting things back to the golden days when their kind ruled the world to people and send them off to wreck things; Nemesis doesn't really CARE which side wins since even its current pawns will be in the way of any invasion eventually. There doesn't have to be any clever plan to exploit chaos being run by people in the background when the chaos itself is the goal. "Nemesis" by its very name mean "arch-enemy", so it's likely the Big Bad of the series after all.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
I don't know if the Dresden Files RPG explanation is true, but if so Harry just buried Bob in a "dank hole" for the years he was with Ebenezer. It seems reasonably logical to me; I can't think the Wardens were on Harry THAT fast, they couldn't have had him under surveillance or else Justin would have gotten caught once he started the mind control and Outsider summoning. And why would they interrogate Harry about an item they figure was destroyed before he was born? Assuming Harry knew not to let Bob be found by the Wardens (which given Bob himself would know "hey, Wardens coming" after Justin died might be one of the first things Bob told Harry) and there aren't any major holes in the idea I see.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Raygereio posted:

It's a pretty popular theory that it's Merlin.
The thing isn't British though. Harry's mind interpreted the way it spoke into his mind as "sounding British". Maybe because it spoke in a condescending manner or something, who knows.

Other theory I've heard is that it's Arthur; he WAS supposedly carried off to an island to eventually return when he was needed most. Or maybe both of them are hanging out there together. Or maybe Merlin actually IS Arthur, a wizard king could have some very interesting stories from it (did he come up with the Laws to keep people from getting involved with power because of tragic personal experience beyond just being an advisor?). If Arthur is around it would definitely be an interesting as hell way for Amoracchius to get a wielder considering he carried it before apparently...

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Rumda posted:

Oh yeah that would also further reduce blood rites dramatic tension.

On the other hand, Papa Raith succeeding in his cunning plan to kill Harry and Thomas then finding out he STILL couldn't feed is amusing to ponder. Plus, if he is a Chekov's Gun like people theorize, having Maggie's existence affecting him with the curse even if Harry and Thomas were out of the picture in some fashion (maybe whatever freed him from Lara would also block the curse from the two he knew about) would be an excellent built in "Chekov's Safety". Harry suddenly finding out his daughter is in specific danger from the White King is the sort of thing provokes his more interesting mass destruction sprees.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Wolpertinger posted:

I like it, it's pretty good. Nothing amazing, but it's an enjoyable enough read. For some reason I've noticed that a large number of people who dislike it name the fact that the main character is a (recovering) junkie as a big minus like Megazver. It doesn't bother me, but some people really seem to hate having the point of view of an addict. I think it works well enough, it gives the main character a rock bottom to crawl out of and a reason to be in the dire straits he's in and made him a bit more sympathetic. It's not like it lingers too excessively on it, as far as I can remember. (It's been a while since I read book 1).

I'm one of the people who thinks it adds to the story that he's a recovering junkie (imagine taking a Dresden-style pounding from life when your response to stress is to go for a hit but you really really do not want to), but he is a very realistic feeling junkie, which is to say kind of an rear end in a top hat on occasion. Absolutely nobody trusts him for poo poo either, which is of course the logical thing to do but from a first person perspective in a book makes them seem like jerks themselves. So I can see why it can be a turn off to some readers.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Up Circle posted:

at the time that I read whichever story introduced it, i got the impression most or all of the black council was infected.

The Black Council maybe, but I'm of the opinion the Red Court was quite probably just egged on and did everything themselves with the support of their "friends" rather than a more direct connection. Think about it; why directly infiltrate somebody (and run the risk of being uncovered during the fighting, especially since the Gatekeeper might wind up involved in the war directly as part of the White Council) when you can just push them to do what they and you want to do? I tend to suspect the Fomor are similarly being manipulated. Right now the only group we've really for sure seen been infiltrated has been the Winter Court, and as the primary opponents of the Outsiders of course they're worth the risk of getting into directly, especially since they managed to snag one of the three leaders to boot. It's logical the Black Council is infected as well, but even there it might not be many if they can just manipulate most of the others to do as needed.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Cythereal posted:

Finally knocked out the next in my big re-read of the series, Death Masks. I think it's still a good book, but looking back I don't know if I'm all that fond of Nicodemus as a villain. He has the same polite, affable evil gig as Marcone, and less to show for it despite his power. My take on him from the later books he appears in is that Nicodemus looks like a viable big bad evil guy for the series, and in another series probably would be the guy behind everything, but despite his power and what he is Nicodemus in the Dresden Files is actually a middling threat, one repeatedly played hard by the real super duper bad guys and he later seems to confused and embarrassed to realize that no, he's just a recurring middleweight villain rather than the arch-villain of the series.

I dunno, I don't think it's a factor of him being a "middling threat" so much as he is legitimately getting broken down and gradually weakened over the course of the series. In Death Mask, he's only stopped more than defeated, and he manages to kill his arch nemesis and take steps to corrupt the guy who stopped him that time. Second time out, the only reason he completely loses is because he had no idea Dresden had overcome Lasciel's shadow (which everybody up till then figured was impossible) and still, takes a Knight of the Cross out of the picture. It's only in Skin Games that he really gets taken hard, and well duh, he's up against MAB (with backup from Uriel, Marcone, and possibly the Archive and Hades) at that point. You walk into a cunning trap that a being of equal power, influence, and cunning (but more allies) has had a good while to prepare for you and you are in general going to get your clock cleaned. Wouldn't surprise me if Mab had been discretely cutting at his power base or even just building his stress up well before the novel started too; she seems like the type to both enjoy gradually tormenting an enemy further and further, and pragmatic enough to bleed a target before going in for a solid blow. Even then, he STILL wrecks Fidelacchius (lightsaber recovery not expected), messes up Murphy, drat near kills off Michael's family, and gets away with the Holy Grail. I think he's demonstrated he is plenty dangerous in the series given he's managed some very permanent harms to Dresden and company, and he shows a gift for getting at least partial victory from the jaws of defeat. He's just starting to run into stronger opposition who are powerful enough to start causing him permanent harm during their clashes as well.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Was thinking about Summer Knight earlier in the day.

When Lea and Harry are at the stone table, Lea warns Harry never to let Mab bring him there. It was implied that Mab might sacrifice him, but in hindsight, it seems Lea had an idea of what Mab was planning all along.

I wondered if this might have been Nemesis-infected Lea trying to steer Harry away from Mab, but Lea repeats it in Changes, which torpedoes that.

Lea does have an obligation to protect Harry, and let's face it, is being the Winter Knight really GOOD for that goal? I certainly wouldn't recommend the job to anybody I wanted to continue breathing. As for knowing what Mab planned, I seem to recall she made the offer already at the end of Summer Knight, so wouldn't take much for Lea to be aware of the situation by the time she warned Harry in the book.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

MeLKoR posted:

But she makes them that way, she does everything she can to increase those qualities in them.

Mab did not create the Winter Court, she's not the first queen of it even. Add in the fact that one of the key things about being mortal vs. fae is the ability to choose and change (which the fae probably lack for a reason given the bad results when Nemesis introduces it into them) and you can't really say Mab "makes" them the way they are. Her job is probably more along the lines of taming all that cruel survive at any cost mentality so it doesn't kill itself off and pointing it at useful tasks.

As for Harry and naming magic, there's about a billion clues it's his big talent and WHY he is so dangerous to Outsiders. Not counting all the instances he tags someone or something with a name and changes it somehow, we've got his casual usage of his full name throughout the supposedly "in-universe" books and the bit about "conjure by it at your own risk" all the way back at the end of Storm Front. Most blatant of course is when he breaks the power of the Outsider in Cold Days by first remembering who he is (most obviously when he states his own name in the climactic battle, but even in the bar he shakes it off by focusing on who he sees himself to be) and then demanding it give him its own name. It's thematic as hell (names, true names in particular, have always been associated with magic), and it makes perfect sense that the guy meant to hold off the nameless hordes beyond the edge of reality is the one who can make them no longer nameless.

MadDogMike fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Oct 28, 2016

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Cythereal posted:

Also bear in mind, our only source for "the mantle gradually transforms its bearer into something else" is Bob, and Bob is not omniscient and has in the past been mistaken and proven wrong.

Still, this is Jim Butcher, and Molly wanting to boink Harry has only been a thing for ten or so books now... And now she's the Winter Lady and he's her Knight.

I admit the real scary bit with Molly and Harry is they make a lot of comparisons between Harry and Merlin, and in legend Merlin kinda got in trouble with an apprentice thanks to sexual issues... (more on Merlin's part than hers, admittedly). As for the mantles, they're an open question; I think I'd actually prefer it if being the Winter Knight and Lady is something Harry and Molly have to juggle for the rest of their lives rather than something they can sneak themselves out of, so it may be the mantle is just a constant temptation that doesn't have to win. Weighed against that though is Odin's talk about setting aside mantles, and I expect something bad has to happen to Winter for there to be an apocalyptic event with Outsiders in the future, which could cut Harry off that way.

Elfgames posted:

I really don't think this is some special power of harry's so much as it is that harry is brazen enough to throw around names willy nilly having names for things makes him more comfortable so he names and nicknames everything he comes across, anyone could do it but most wouldn't because it can really gently caress things up.

Kind of a chicken and egg thing; does he have the ability because of his personality or is his personality part and parcel of the ability? I don't buy it's JUST Harry being reckless though, too many people have made mention of something going on with him for that to all be nothing at all. Wouldn't surprise me though if he gets away with more because of that ability, and that's why others don't do it so much.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I also don't really believe Butters' explanation about Harry's strength. Fix also got a number of purely physical boons from his mantle, and he's been at it much longer than Harry. There is no reason why the same power that grants him ability and knowledge of ice magic, numbness to pain, etc, couldn't just be a form of Fae power. It might even be as simple as a subtler, more restrictive version of the same magic shape-shifters use

I expect there has to be some level of healing above baseline wizard from it for him not to trash himself totally (which could be controlled by Mab like Butters suspects), but it does make thematic sense that Winter doesn't make him stronger so much as make him able to endure more. Can't really trust that Fix is the same given we know so little about the Summer Knight, and in any event Summer is more associated with growth and life than Winter is so an actual boost could be a Summer-only thing. Hell, we don't really know Fix IS Harry's full equal physically or more/less, their one confrontation was more about cleverness than brute strength on strength.

quote:

One of my favorite things in Cold Days was when Harry got to flex his ice magic muscle to save everyone, and he ended up looking like a corpse dug out of the snow. I enjoyed that bit of Winter manifesting a lot more than the creepy-hump instincts.

To be fair, Skin Game shows it manifesting as pure on territorial rage when he sees Binder, so it's not always a stupid sex thing. I do like that Harry has to fight off the mantle's influence with cold logic; makes one wonder if the ruthless pragmatism most of Winter's leadership has is more a method to keep control of their power rather than an effect of being Winter0.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Rygar201 posted:

Y'all should read Cold Case. It sheds light on a lot of this.

Yeah, sheds a LOT of light on the whole Winter mantle thing; the lust issue in particular has a disturbingly coldly logical reason to it (appropriately enough). Definitely seems to be twisting Molly a lot more than Dresden though.

Cythereal posted:

And finished Side Jobs. Pretty good anthology of short stories, some better than others - The Warrior and Aftermath are the two highlights in my opinion, the former being a character study on Michael Carpenter and a look at the smaller but no less potent ways Dresden and friends do good.

I found it kind of interesting he based it on similar events that happened with him according to the author intro to that story. As for Aftermath, I think my favorite Dresden short stories have been ones where he's not the main character, it's interesting to see how the world changes when the protagonist viewpoint does.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Cythereal posted:

Harry was a scared kid fighting for his life against a man who turned his girlfriend into a mindless puppet and was trying to kill him. He and the Council generally are more or less okay with using magic to kill in self-defense against someone trying to kill you.

Harry has a very bad temper and is quite comfortable with violence, and in the early books especially was quite tempted to kill various mortals with magic, death sentence or not. There's a lot of evidence killing with magic DID affect him, even if not to the point of re-offending. And the Council (by its own rules) doesn't have any knowledge of what's going on in his head. "I have the right to kill in self defense" is a tolerable enough belief for Harry to have, but what if the motivation was more like "I have the right to kill because the person angered/scared me so much"? Given that even a morally excusable reason to break the Laws seems to create temptation to break them later on in a wizard (assuming it WAS a moral reason the first time), and the tremendous damage a warlock can do in a short time when they slip the leash, it makes a hell of a lot of sense that the Council's normal response, absent a VERY strong argument and someone effectively volunteering to heavily monitor the Law-breaker practically 24/7, is "we can't take the chance, kill 'em".

CainsDescendant posted:

If there isn't already a men in black style anti magic task force or whatever (which there probably is, remember how that tape of murph killing the loup garou disappeared?) I bet Agent Tilly is working on one

I swear I seem to recall the author saying somewhere the Library of Congress has a very scary "Special Collections" division, but I can't track it down so don't take my word for it. It's possible though most of the government supernatural investigation stuff follows the pattern of SI instead of a true Men in Black style agency; certain groups in various normal agencies who have a reputation for handling "weird stuff" and a list of contacts they can go to. Considering the White Council seems to do at least some politics mixed with occasional violence to curb the worst offenders, and every supernatural group has both competitors and a healthy respect for the risk of full mortal response, you probably wouldn't need a dedicated agency to handle the situation. If some monster runs wild bleeding city streets they're likely to get taken down by clued-in locals/wizards/enemies/their own people long before it could become a blip on the radar of some major super-secret agency.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Cythereal posted:

And all of that bothers me a little. Mortals feel like they have virtually no agency or legitimacy in the Dresden Files, Murphy can't walk down a block these days without some supernatural power offering her a job.

Hmm, actually that does bring up one thing. a lot of supernaturals are able to outright co-opt mortals under their control if not into downright membership. Something more decentralized might be the only things that can work, a powerful MiB group is likely to get infiltrated and subverted to somebody's agenda, especially since if they aren't somebody pawns to begin with they probably won't know enough to be aware of the risks of being vamped/mind-whammied/etc. Doesn't work if ALL the mortals know the supernatural exists (hence the fear of setting them off as a whole or even giving them a target they can vaguely grasp) but for a secretive agency it's too easy to get a few hooks into the right targets. Hell, the Church probably is as close as we get to a major MiB style anti-monster group, and as mentioned the Denarians seem adept at pulling their coins out from them and generally screwing with them, and this is with outright divine intervention on their side. Government agencies probably don't have a prayer of doing better if the head of the White Court can grab a chopper off a navy ship with minimal notice already. It doesn't feel like the supernaturals are the secret rulers of the world for all their power (though the bad guys obviously want that bad) but they are powerful enough and have generally been around longer than most world governments so by default they can probably take on a small part of the mortal world while it's centralizing into a threat against them. If there's no single target to aim at though it's another story; starting to think Paranet might wind up being one of the greatest things Harry has set up in the long run, there's not a lot you can target to wipe the whole thing out without making too many waves.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
Read that as “Full Up” for a second and thought the implication was the entire thread was going down with no survivors.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

StrixNebulosa posted:

I care that he's sacrificing someone else's happiness to do so, and he constantly keeps her in the dark about things. If this were an agreed upon, mutual relationship where they both knew the score and agreed on it, I'd be more okay with it... but he specifically picked Leah as a wife because she's stupid (his words, straight from the book).

Actually one of the books later on in the Alpha and Omega series (latest one) touched on this again and made it pretty clear Bran might be lying to himself how much he cares about Leah, considering he wound up dumping that book's plot on his son and daughter-in-law because he couldn't stand the possibility his wife had betrayed him. Anna's remark to Leah was something like "What would be different about his behavior if he did love you?" with the heavy implication of no difference (because he already did) did seem a pretty pointed comment on things. Bran not being entirely logical about his psycho-monster side is pretty par for the course for him; he's probably terrified he could love anybody enough to get hurt/crazy like he did the last time he lost a spouse.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Khizan posted:

I think that's all the important things.

Other probably important thing from Ghost Story - Harry's flashback to meeting/defeating He Who Walks Behind is probably going to have some importance later.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Xtanstic posted:

I kinda assumed Lara knew or else years of Harry-Thomas interactions wouldn't make sense. She knows that secret but Harry knows about her and her daddy so they have a truce.

They specifically called it out in Blood Rites; he and Lara mentioned her knowing his relation to Thomas in the ending (she was watching the whole final confrontation with Thomas's father and Harry after all) and they agreed to a truce to not share that fact in exchange for not revealing her control of the Raith house now.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Darkrenown posted:

I thought Rudolph was such a jerk, especially towards Dresden/Murph, because he got so freaked out by the Loup-Garaou that he has to deny it happened and so he must prove them to be fakes to maintain his sanity.

I like the theory I saw elsewhere that pointed out that Rudolph was one of the cops who went after Kravos in Grave Peril, so it's entirely possible Kravos went after him offscreen just like he did Malone and Murphy onscreen (if maybe not as hard as those two cases). That kind of psychological wound, particularly without any help, could easily have pushed him from an inexperienced but not horribly bad cop (he outright threatened Harry if Murphy got hurt from what happened in Grave Peril) to what he turned into, even more so than just the Loup-Garou. And considering what Mirror Mirror is supposed to involve, one of the possibilities of Harry interacting with an alternate timeline is meeting a Rudolph who did NOT kill Murphy. Having to deal with the mirror version of the guy who killed the woman he loved (especially if the alternate outright stayed with the good guys) could be a hell of a thing for Harry to handle, and would definitely fit the series theme of "there but for the grace of God go I" when it comes to human evil when it shows how much somebody could be different from just a few choices. Could be especially interesting if the difference is because of something alternate-Harry did and Dresden has to face the fact he could have done something that prevented what happened to Murphy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Everyone posted:

Tripp's characterization was good. I like that you can see why Marcone keeps him on and is willing to protect him from Dresden. That bit of "If you're gonna beat my rear end, then get on with it and beat my rear end, but I'm still not changing my mind about the lawsuit." He's a stubborn rear end in a top hat but there's a kind of bravery to it.

I can kind of get where Tripp was coming from. Underneath his misogyny, the suit was his only hope to pay off the St. Louis mob and avoid them killing him. It's a false hope, but no one credible to him offered anything else. That's why I felt like Marcone, especially, got the idiot ball. The agreement for a "fair play" lawsuit is stupid because even if Tripp wins, there is no money at the end of this. Even if a judge awards Tripp $1 million from the school or whatever, the tutoring business doesn't have it and can't get it. The sane move is: Tripp's lawyer brings in a forensic accountant to go over the school's books to prove there's no money there. Marcone then buys Tripp's marker from the St. Louis mob so they don't kill Tripp and start a gang war. Additional idiot ball to Dresden for not intervening to save Tripp at the end because even if he despises Tripp, letting the St. Louis mob take him will require Marcone to retaliate and now there's a mob war where innocent people will likely die.

Story actually calls it out when Dresden interviews Tripp's cell mate and asks if Marcone would object to St Louis killing Tripp - "Always more pimps, boss. Mr. Marcone likes discretion. Long as St. Louis did it discreet, he wouldn't care. Just business." Marcone obviously wasn't FOND of Tripp, he just supported the guy because it's what was expected in return for what loyalty Tripp offered. If Tripp got himself in lethal trouble (by working with competitors, to boot), that's pretty much his problem unless the St Louis guys were so sloppy it became effectively a public challenge of Marcone's authority, and a bunch of guys quietly hustling him into a car to mysteriously vanish is certainly not a public challenge. Besides, he'd proved to be major headache enough for Marcone by that point.

MadDogMike fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jun 7, 2023