Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Wittgen posted:

I decided to reread Death Masks in anticipation of Skin Game. It's been a long time since I read an early book, and it's really interesting looking back. For example, I had forgotten how hostile Charity was to Dresden early on. It's cool how much Harry saving Molly multiple times really changed her attitude.

I'm assuming once Harry tells Michael & Charity about what happens at the end of Cold Days it'll be just like old times! :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Apoffys posted:

The fifth book, "Foxglove Summer", is set to be released on November 13 (at least that's when I'm supposed to get the Kindle edition).

Oh good. Penguin is doing their usual poo poo with British books and the US market. Jan 6 in the US.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

You can order it from Amazon.co.uk and they'll deliver to the US.

paper... books?

And yeah, I could jump through hoops and buy the kindle book from there too, but it's £7.49 November vs $6 in January in the US store. And $6 is about the level of interest I retain in the series.

Was a lot more grumpy when they did it to Terry Pratchett's Raising Steam and that was like 6 months. Just don't see why it makes sense to do that.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Ornamented Death posted:

Speaking of Dresden Files art, I got this bad motherfucker at Dragon Con:

Where's the hat?

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Anias posted:

I would be super happy if harry just said "Molly is awesome" and let her decide what she wants/needs. She's come a long way from teenager in danger.

I expect we're going to see that as a major subplot in a future Molly/Harry book where he needs to come to terms with her new status and his probable "if she wasn't involved with me" misplaced guilt. Although whether Molly ends up resolving her desire for Harry or not is a toss up.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

OmniBeer posted:

I like Seanen McGuire's October Daye books.. There's a bit of romance, but not in any sort of terribly awkward way. Fun Fae-focused stories.

Seanan is icked out by sex scenes in urban fantasy novels too based on a conversation I had with her at a convention back a year and half ago so hopefully there won't be much. Or at least you'll be able to do what she says she does which is look a page or two ahead to jump to after the sex.

First book in October Daye is fine in the same way Dresden Files first 3 are fine.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

OmniBeer posted:

Huh! That's a relief to here- I definitely enjoy her stuff, and it's nice to know that the lack of terrible fantasy sex is a choice and not a coincidence.

Yeah, she was complaining about how she couldn't skip ahead with Laurell K Hamilton books since the plot is wrapped into the sex. Of course, there's an obvious solution to that problem...

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Marion Zimmer Bradley once said that to write for young adults you just write an adult novel and then make your protagonist sixteen years old -- but she may not be the best source to decide this question!.

By that definition A Song of Ice & Fire is YA. I like it. Although 16 is kinda old...

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

So torn.... I'll rebuy audiobooks when they do an unabridged version from a previously abridged version, but just to have Marsters like all my other Dresden audiobooks...

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Mars4523 posted:

Still, you get the feeling the author wants you to think "Harry is an tough badass who is Right" rather than "Christ he can be a fuckup at times".

Kind of a hardboiled detective genre thing, I'd think.

To quote Brandon Sanderson talking about the Suvudu cage matches which kinda sums it up:

quote:

Harry Dresden decides this is really all too much work, and wanders off to get himself something to drink. He gets beaten up seventeen times on his way, but saves two orphanages.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Did the email say why you were getting it? I'm not currently a subscriber, so I'll be sad if that's a requirement but I do own all the Dresden Audiobooks.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

jivjov posted:

Unless there was another he didn't do, this is no longer the case. Ghost Story was re-released recently with Marsters. Audible even gave out free download vouchers to those who bought he non-Marsters version.

Audible even gave out free download vouchers to some of the people who bought the non-Marsters version. :negative:

fordan fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Apr 28, 2015

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

I'm assuming Summer's Gruff wizard badass will come back at some point? Scary bastard. Also, I need more Kincaid. Guy's amazing, though given he's a "hellhound" or whatever, I'm assuming he'll be in the role of villain at some point.

Language please. Heckhound.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

While I like the Generation V series, my biggest issue is that the protagonist is kinda boring. He's a vampire cast in the role of Joe Everyguy, just a poor 20-something working minimum-wage jobs and more than a bit of a pushover, refusing any help from his family despite having to see them at least once a month because he's so intent on holding on to his human nature. I mean, you can see the path the author probably has planned in terms of development of power while fighting to hold onto humanity, but it's a slow build out of having to rely on Suzume and his family's reputation to do anything with only the first small signs of it in book 3. The world is interesting, the "vampire concept" is interesting in how they're formed, but I'll take an interesting Dresden over a mopey Fortitude any day.

edit:

Mars4523 posted:

There is a bodyguard, a kitsune who is brought in during the first book to keep the protagonist from dying due to his ignorance/human squishiness and sticks around as his partner as he troubleshoots for his vampire family in later books. So really after book 1 there are no bodyguards, either. As far as we know she does not moonlight as an assassin.

Not a bodyguard since she generally isn't getting paid (that we know of). Still acts as one since Fort is still useless except for his moderate intelligence and "do you know who my mom is?!?"

fordan fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jul 24, 2015

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Error 404 posted:

I used to be the biggest cyberpunk fanboy but I can barely read it anymore. The poo poo that came true pisses me off too much to enjoy the silly poo poo that didn't.

:negative:

I can still reread cyberpunk, but I need to put myself back in the mindset of the early 80s when they were mostly written; the early days of personal computing, modems just making it out there and BBSes. When they apparently thought we'd be able to hack interfaces into our brains and have AIs more advanced than Siri by now.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Megazver posted:

On one hand, Skin Game is not one of the best novels of the year. On the other hand, it's a nomination where Redshirts won. Personally, if I bothered to actually pay money to vote, I'd put it above No Award.

Skin Game was also only in the voting packet as an excerpt whereas the winner's publisher included the full novel. That makes a difference (although it didn't get Wheel of Time the win last year despite including all the series' novels except the prequel in the packet). Suspect that's also why Ancillary Sword didn't do well despite the first novel getting the Hugo last year.

As a Hugo voter/Worldcon attendee (didn't make it this year in person though) I'm fairly ok with how it turned out; I'm more interested in the outcome of the business meeting and if they changed any rules to try and prevent a recurrence of puppygate.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Normally I pick up the anthologies by borrowing from the library but they don't have Shadowed Souls yet and I want to read about Molly as Winter Lady now...

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

biracial bear for uncut posted:

It's because he isn't doing enough drugs.

All the really prolific writers you might think of were addicts of one kind or another.

Brandon Sanderson doesn't even drink though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

I've been one of the wranglers for the last Wheel of Time book tour managing the line for Brandon Sanderson in a fairly large city library, which I assume is somewhere near the same scale. Lots of walking the line, answering questions, prepping post its, etc. I don't recall it being onerous, a little tiring walking the line for 3-ish hours answering questions (mostly "how much further to Brandon" or "where's the bathroom"), but people were generally considerate and understanding. Most people aren't terrible, just sometimes overwhelmed at meeting someone whose work they really like.