Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

SolTerrasa posted:

Isn't that from his shield bracelet overheating?

If it's wrists, plural, probably the thorn shackles he was restrained with when he was being auctioned on eBay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

Angry Lobster posted:

Yup, noticed that in my recent reread but then I asked myself: Why did Cowl needed that copy from Dresden when he could have asked Peabody for a copy of the poem if it's true that both of them were Black Council?

I can come up with two possibilities. The first, is that much like the Grey Council, the Black Council is organized into cells. It's entirely possible Cowl et al simply didn't know that Peabody was Black Council.

The second option, and one I find more interesting, is that they may not have even been on the same side at all. Given what Kumori said about necromancy etc being able to be used for good, I think it's entirely possible that there is a Black Council operating that is not working as an agent of Nemesis, but in fact is opposing the Outsider forces. If you think about it, turning yourself into a demigod (via darkhallow) would be a pretty drat good way to arm yourself for defending reality.

I'm probably missing a bunch of things that poke holes in this but I pretty much have the shakes waiting for Skin Game to be in my hands.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!
I really should have just ordered this off Amazon instead of planning to pick it up on my way to work tomorrow.

It appears it's CIA document time in the thread, see y'all tomorrow night!

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

Xtanstic posted:

Also, what's the deal with Goodman Grey's payment being 1 dollar. That's twice now Harry managed to swing the service of a heavy hitter for cheap. In Cold Days he got advice from Vadderung for pocket change. Sure they have a history and Vadderung likes him, but still. Is there some sort of allusion or reference I'm missing? I'm pretty interested who Grey owes Rent to.

Vadderung helped Harry for a nickel because he actually wanted to help him and so asked for something trivial in return, because it's against his nature to do something for free. I assume a similar thing is going on with Grey. Or perhaps it's the nature of the exchange that he benefits from. Maybe completing a bargain has value to him in and of itself.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

SolTerrasa posted:

Five artifacts, five points to a summoning ring, each of which needs an artifact of some kind...

an upcoming big apocalyptic trilogy...

If you can summon Mother Winter, how much harder can it be to summon Jesus?

e:

For those who don't know, at the end of the apocalypse we get the Second Coming of Christ. Comes down from heaven on a horse. Nothing that says he can't be politely asked, first!

Holy poo poo.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

Illuyankas posted:

"Look, the line's 'But of that day and hour knoweth no man', right? Says nothing about wizards."

"Besides, I don't KNOW. It's 50/50 on whether this works or just explodes."

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

Fangz posted:

I don't really know. I thought the point of handing off the Grace to Michael is that Michael gets the power while Uriel is left with the responsibility. In which case it still matters.

Uriel is held to a higher standard than Michael, I think.

I think the idea is that whoever is holding the archangel grace can't make choices that affect free will, but since Michael's choice had already been made the grace didn't actually end up affecting anybody's free will. Thus, when Uriel is graceless, he can make the same choices any other mortal could make. I guess.

Actually, my random post in the old thread was... weirdly close to the truth.

AllTerrineVehicle posted:

This has me wondering about something. Could a supernatural being freely act if they were to constrain themselves to working as a vanilla mortal? Could say, Uriel, decided "gently caress this noise I'm gonna go mix it up" and put his power and most of his knowledge in storage or something, then go after Nicky with a shotgun?

AllTerrineVehicle fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jun 2, 2014

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

Xtanstic posted:

I don't understand what conclusion we're supposed to pull from Molly looking like the Hecate statue. Is it supposed to mean that Molly's transformation to fae is happening faster than we realize? Or does it mean that Molly was always meant to become a fae because of historical incarnations?

The point I got from it was that it was supposed to hint at the Faerie Queens being merely the latest expression of their role and part of the slowly changing mythologies. i.e. the Hecate statues reflect whatever Hecate (or the equivalent) is currently, and one of the entities is currently Molly.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

cultureulterior posted:

Well, according to Stross's blog, the next two won't have Bob as the protagonist, but rather Mo, and Alex

Interesting. I guess that makes some sort of sense as Bob will likely be spending the foreseeable future learning to be Angleton, which probably involves stupid amounts of time reading through the memex. Good thing he has more spare time now :haw: :smith:

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!
Storm Front hardcover available for ordering!

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

Wittgen posted:

I totally agree about Marcone never being shown as evil being an annoyance. I kind of hope Marcone slips up at some point and shows his true nature in front of Harry so that Harry can smack him down hard. Marcone being completely unreasonable and dickish at the end of Skin Game gives me hope.

Harry would probably still go after him, but he is a signatory of the Accords so it would bring a shitstorm.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

Pwnstar posted:

Well so does every other person of European ancestry in the world.

I've always kind of assumed it's a bit of a :thejoke: thing that Harry doesn't clue into

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!
Just as a reminder, Foxglove Summer (Rivers of London 5) comes out on the 13th :woop:

Speed edit: In the UK, at least

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

Wolpertinger posted:

As far as Amazon is concerned I live wherever the book I want is coming out first.

To Amazon, I am a globetrotting adventurer, never staying in one place for too long, skipping across continents at the drop of a hat.

In reality, I am a man who wants to read his wizard books right now.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!
My girlfriend, a few minutes after midnight on a Tuesday: Just finished Turn Coat!

Me: Nice! You should start Changes, it's a hell of a ride!

*10 minutes pass*

GF: THAT WAS A TERRIBLE SUGGESTION. HE HAS A KID. WHAT. I had to keep reading, I thought it was a joke.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!
Dang and I was looking for some books to read, too!

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!
I didn't read the second libriomancer book because I was afraid of getting an iron druid treatment. It sounds like it's worth picking up though! Which is good because I burned through Firefight in less than a day and need something else to read :v:

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

ConfusedUs posted:

I agree with this.

I also agree with the person who, several pages back, said the book ended quite abruptly. I feel like it needed another chapter or two to address the fallout.

I really think that breaking his word to the Queen is going to come back to haunt him.

Hmm, what other impetuous young(ish) wizard do we know who gets in trouble with Faerie Queens? :v:

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!
I just realised something about rivers of london. Spoilers for most recent book: the folly has a fairy godmother :v:

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

Metal Loaf posted:

I just finished Neverwhere. It was really good. I went through it a little bit at a time, then powered on through the last half dozen chapters this afternoon. It's too bad Gaiman doesn't like sequels, because it's an interesting world he created here, one I think it would be fun to explore.

I have American Gods but I'm thinking of saving it for when I have a long plane journey in a couple of months. I suppose I'll start Aaronovitch's series now. Must start re-reading Dresden from book one on, as well, but I'd prefer to try something new first.

By the way, meant to ask, has anyone read Paul Cornell's book, London Falling? Is it any good? Much like with Aaronovitch, I'm only really familiar with Cornell through his Doctor Who work.

I really liked both London Falling and its sequel, and they're generally like by the thread. They're much, much darker than Rivers of London or Dresden though.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

builds character posted:

I really thought there was someone who said that the smiling man was new and that, by implication, this whole everyone goes to hell thing is new also. Related, it's possible it's not really everyone that ever lived (died?) in London because it's the smiling man - dude could just be lying.

I think it's stated to Quill at some point that it's new, or something. I definitely recall there being a hint or clue about it but it's been a while since I read the book.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

Fried Chicken posted:

so I'm not sure if it really counts as urban fantasy since it is set in the 1300s instead of modern times, but I want to drop a plug for Son of the Morning by Mark Alder (http://www.amazon.com/Son-of-the-Morning/dp/0575115157)

You get dropped in England and France at the start of the 100 years war, with from what I can tell painstaking attention to detail to the realities of life at the time. The magic side of it is that God is real, Satan is real, and Lucifer is real - Lucifer is an egalitarian, God is an authoritarian. God, through his angels, manifestly supports the divine right of kings and the "you feed us, we fight for you in war and pray for you in peace" mythos the nobility used. Catherdals house angels, the relics of saints work, and rituals and prayers get results. Lucifer is some sort of democratic communist and supports peasant revolts and wants to end the feudal system and God's dominion over the earth and man. Demons slip loose (or are summoned) from hell and agitate the commoners, battle angles, and provide weapons to the oppressed. Satan is hell's jailer and has his own agenda. The AntiChrist has been born at a time when Edward III is making war on Phillip VI, and there is a whole lot of political skullduggery going on as at least 12 human factions and 6 divine factions are all scrambling for various relics, artifacts, and weapons to bring their side into ascendance.

Prose is a little run on, dialogue reminds me of A Knight's Tale - more movie funnies and one liners than you'd expect but it keeps it punchy. But overall it is a lot of fun so far. It's pretty long too - the book had been building towards a denouement, both in pacing and narrative threads, and when that was done I looked and was on'y 55% of the way through.

Thanks for posting this, this is my poo poo. Just bought it :v:

The one star review containing only the word "Blasphemous" made me buy it even faster

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

Blasphemeral posted:

'What is a "Suvudu Cage Match?"' turns up nothing incredibly descriptive in Google.

What is a Suvudu and why do people fight it in cages? And what does that have to do with Dresden, besides evoking a very accurate statement from a prolific fantasy author?

Suvudu is the website that said cage match story thing appeared on

Edit: I dunno if the Sanderson thing was there but they do regular cage match tournament things with various characters

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

Tunicate posted:

For example, Vin vs Zeddicus Zu’l Zorander, which is pretty funny.

Ahaha this is great

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

Norns posted:

Quick question. Are all the books told from the same POV?

They're all from Harry's POV yes

A few of the short stories are from other characters' POV though

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

Deptfordx posted:

The whole (Winter) Knight power does seems to have been toned down a lot.

I got the distinct impression from the earlier books that becoming a Knight (for either faction) basically boosted you to Captain America levels physically as well as any augmentation in magical powers.

The whole Your bodys limiters are turned off. It's all hysterical strength and ignoring pain seemed lame as hell when it was explained explicitly.

Ironically the peak of human limits is literally captain america's powerset :v:

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

apostateCourier posted:

The Winter and Summer mantles are pretty explicitly more than that- Harry just refuses to embrace the vast majority of the power offered, because of what he thinks it would do to his psyche/sense of self.

My interpretation is that the mantle basically causes you to ruin your body because you can't feel pain and are all jacked up on faerie dust, and as your body/soul get progressively more battered and broken the mantle grants you more power until you can't do anything without using Winter power. And as you said Harry is very clearly fighting the mantle and not using the power he could

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

Literally The Worst posted:

So here's my other question having not kept up on poo poo since Skin Game. What's the prevailing theory o. Everyone's favorite bartender?

Somebody earlier theorized he was Jesus, and while I think that might be a stretch, I found myself liking the idea that he's an immortal who "retired" but is still bound by the rules and can't freely share what he knows (thus the whole man of few words thing). If i had to guess I'd pick Heimdall, or maybe an angel/archangel

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

Skippy McPants posted:

They're under no obligation; it's just weird to see stuff that I aged out of like PA, South Park, or Kevin Smith films still ticking along because I wonder who they're for anymore.

The exact same demographic they always were for?

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!
The outsider isn't a native English speaker.

Mac specialized in the design and repair of quality timepieces.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!
I thought the dialogue was not great, it feels like he just wanted to make it sound "old timey" without putting any effort into it or giving any of the characters their own voice.

I will probably still give it a read because despite butchers flaws as a writer most of his stuff has been least somewhat entertaining.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

Potooweet posted:

Here's my favorite.

1) Mirror universe Harry is different by one choice. One. And everything else just follows after that.

Wild Speculation Time!

He chose a different powerup option in Changes is my guess.

Actually it would be pretty funny of that choice was like, he stepped slightly different as he escaped from the apartment fire after saving the landlady and never hurt himself.

Or what if he told Morgan to just gently caress off when asked for help.

Brought Susan fully into the loop before the masquerade?

poo poo. Dammit Butcher.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

ImpAtom posted:

My general feeling on the Laundry Files is that basically every single book except maybe the Jennifer Morgue is 'things are getting worse for everyone."

The book is basically founded on the premise that we're creeping closer to an inevitable apocalypse so yeah, pretty much :v:

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!
Friends and I came up with another idea for the mirror mirror thing.

Harry doesn't skip school that one day, and thus doesn't interrupt dumorne while he's enthralling Elaine. I can see three outcomes that are different from the "main" one:

-Harry notices something later and reports it to the council, who investigate and take care of matters themselves, and the Doom is never used. This could be a way to have Harry on the councils good side

-With the help of Elaine, Harry is convinced by dumorne that black and white magic is an arbitrary distinction made by people too afraid to take action. We get a Harry who's more or less the same as ours (too stubborn to change all that much, even with the ongoing corruption from the magic) except with years of training from a powerful black magic user, so he's more careful and still on the councils good side. Dumorne was never exposed and Harry is much subtler as a result of his years of deception.

-Harry is completely convinced by dumorne, goes full supervillain, eventually killing dumorne and elaine before taking an apprentice of his own (two there are, a master and an apprentice). This is probably the least likely if he went with the school choice.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!
Dresden is a huge goon, and it gets a bit better but doesnt go away entirely.

Also books one and two are easily the worst in the series, so if you liked the first you'll love 3+

AllTerrineVehicle fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Nov 29, 2015

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!
They don't just get better from 3, if I'm remembering right Butcher himself recommends new readers start with book 3. The first two books are basically the first thing he ever wrote and it shows.

That being said the series certainly has it's flaws, and if you're looking for a mature character drama you've come to the wrong place.

If, however, you are interested in books containing some very memorable action scenes as well as climactic finales which sorta remind me of a mix between an Old West showdown and pro wrestling if the participants could blow up buildings by waving their arms, you should probably keep reading.

Edit: there are some persistent issues, but a lot of the most painful stuff is polished away early on

AllTerrineVehicle fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Feb 23, 2016

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

jivjov posted:

McCoy calls one of the other members of the council "Injun Joe". Pretty racist.

I might just be rationalising it but isn't there an exchange which implies this to be a sort of thing between them and not just anybody gets to call him Injun Joe?

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!
It certainly wasn't for lack of trying!

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!
It's potentially problematic in the real world where we are reading a story, not in the dresden-world. Two friends referring to each other by insulting names is fine and between them. A fictional character doing it without context, less so, because the people involved don't actually exist and it's entirely the author deciding it.

Anyways I kinda want to run a game or two of Dresden RPG, and I'm thinking of running it similar to how they played D&D in Community. Basically me and one or two others would draw up maybe 10 character sheets along with a basic adventure, and let the 4-5 players choose whichever character they prefer. We'd try to keep it to one or two nights for the first one since we're all pretty new to tabletop.

If we decide to make it a regular thing I'm probably going to structure it in such a way that people can drop in and out week to week without loving things up. My best idea so far is to make every character have some sort of loose affiliation with the local Paranet, allowing a convenient loophole for why everybody would know what happened the previous session. It would also work as both a plausible reason why a character isn't around all the time (they couldn't be reached, maybe we'll see them next time) and a way for people to join with a new character when Drizzt Fartbelcher the 69th inevitably bites the dust (hey I heard you guys needed some help, my friend Galactus Bongripper might be able to assist)

Is there anything I should look out for regarding party composition? Or is the game flexible enough to allow the DM (probably me) to compensate a bit if, for example, nobody in the party has any support abitilities. Would also be interested in if any archetypes are especially over- or under-powered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

Blasphemeral posted:

Are you saying that, in your opinion, people can only ever write about a thing if they, personally, have experienced it from the perspective that they are writing from? Is that an accurate assessment of your position?

Not at all. I'm merely suggesting that with this sort of thing authors should consider whether it actually adds anything to the narrative.

As it stands, Ebeneezer could have used "Breezy" as a nickname instead and not really change anything about the story, so what's the point? At the very least it's a missed opportunity to include a bit of info about the two characters or the wider historical context that exists in Dresden's world.

quote:

RPG stuff

Yeah, none of us are dedicated enough to stick with a long term campaign anyways, especially when there's so many other boardgames we could play, so monster of the week is what I'm gravitating towards.