Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!
They might be back at full strength if you just look at the numbers, but the Wardens took big casualties and difference between even a fairly experienced wizard and a veteran combat wizard is huge. Morgan alone was probably worth a dozen or more wizards by himself. Losing combat trained wizards also makes it much harder to train up new ones (see: they asked Harry loving Dresden to help educate recruits)

You also have to factor in losing the ability to craft enchanted swords until Luccio figures out how to make them in her new body. Those things are huge advantages against other magic users.

I'm sure the council has a bunch of tricks up their sleeve (they're wizards, of course they do) but they're in rough shape and I doubt they could survive another large scale direct conflict

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!
Just accidentally found out that Harmony Black 2 is out tomorrow

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

Mortanis posted:

Speaking of which, isn't the next Rivers of London supposed to drop in a few months?

I think it, Stiletto (sequel to the Rook), and one other book I'm forgetting all release in June.

Edit: I lied, Hanging Tree is August and I can't remember what the other one I'm thinking of is :v:

AllTerrineVehicle fucked around with this message at 18:38 on May 3, 2016

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!
I think i remember reading that butcher has gotten some things wrong about Chicago that nobody who actually lives there would get wrong.

One that I might be making up is the description of Wrigley field when they arrive there for the duel is pretty wrong, as in the entire external area he describes to doesn't actually exist IRL or something

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!
There's eight of them now? I stopped at like #4 and was already sick of it the book before but gave the series one more go. Which sucks because I actually did like a lot of the setting, just... not the main character, or the plot, or many of the side characters :v:

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

Ornamented Death posted:

This is loving stupid.

Jim and GRRM both published a new book in July 2011. Since then, Jim has published three additional novels (two Dresden novels). How, in any conceivable way other than "I'm a whiny baby that demands things NOWNOWNOWNOWNOWNOW" can Jim be considered in "GRRM time?"

And honestly to be fair to GRRM, dance with dragons is 100k words longer than skin game and cold days combined, while being significantly more intricate. I would be surprised if Winds of Winter wasn't longer than those two + aeronauts windlass as well.

GRRM ran into problems because he doesnt keep notes and didn't plot out a lot of stuff beforehand, but he's actually not outrageously slow. The main issue with the Dance delay was that he only talked about pizza and Wildcards for 10 years and would post poo poo like "NEW BOOK UPDATE!!!!!! : wildcards volume 99 is out also do you guys like football"

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

Magres posted:

I think that'd honestly just be depressing. Harry has hosed up but he tries his best and it'd be a lovely book to spend a few hundred pages rubbing his nose in all of the times he wasn't good enough (because he was put in a situation where it was completely impossible to be good enough).

It would be incredibly lovely for harry, you say?

100% confirmed to happen

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

MeLKoR posted:

Be that as it may you are aware that the only last novel we'll ever get will be the novelization of the show's last season, right?

Does GRRM have any sons that can pair up with Kevin J Anderson after he dies? Write a few prequels, didn't you want to know more about Valyria and the terrible war against the AI? And I'm sure there is enough material for a few sequels.

I had a Wildcards gang tag for years, all hope has long since fled my body :v:

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!
The more you guys post the more I realise that basically everything other than the main plotline in blood rites is pretty good

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!
I think that post was referring to butcher's decision to regress Thomas being unnecessary, not claiming that there wasn't a good in-universe reason

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

vulturesrow posted:

Not sure I agree with that personally. I think having Thomas regress helps highlight the immense difficulty for Thomas to keep his feeding to a minimum both from a physical perspective and a mental perspective. White Court differs from Red Court in that they don't attach any special significance to controlling your hunger and in fact Thomas is explicitly criticized for that that by his sister. I actually thought the fact that he was able to control himself that much was a bit glossed over

I think Thomas regressing like that is weird only because butcher seemingly took pains to get rid of the rapey bits as much as he could, and then walked it back

Mostly i just think butcher lacks the finesse to deal with it successfully.

Actually just thinking it over now, it seems like there's a bit of incongruity with how the white court houses feed. Whats-his-name was feeding on fear at splattercon, but as far as I know nobody was afraid of him specifically and he was chowing down on the ambient fear. Yet apparently the Raiths need somebody to be lusting after them specifically? Couldn't Thomas potentially hire himself out as protection at one of Marcone's brothels and siphon off some of the ambient emotion?

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

Zore posted:

Yeah, let's not forget summoning Mother Winter. He actually hurt her, and he was mostly guessing some of her names.

I thought that was more because mother winter couldn't move without her walking stick and so couldn't answer the summons, which would be painful to a fae I guess, than because of anything specific to Harry

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

I own and wear this shirt regularly :v:

I know like 3 people who get the reference

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!
Not 100% sure what you mean by that, but the Sandman Slim series opens with the protagonist escaping from actual Hell and Lucifer is a character in the books