Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Roundboy posted:

I guess reading books okay back to back give some conrinuityy errors. Does she melt brains with her voice alone or not?

Only when she's really pissed about something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Everyone posted:

Wow, medicine is really advanced nowadays? Figure wizards/vampires/etc have been dealing with this forever. Some version of fake death and his nephew/hidden grandson/etc inherits? And I don't think the Fallen "gave" Marcone the Coin. I think he took it from the island during the chaos at the end of Small Favor. Marcone clearly doesn't consider himself to be part of the Fallen and their agenda in any case.

All of that seems likely. Really Marcone isn't so much about increasing personal power as he is about temporal power (being in charge). Having the personal power to teleport and make lovely boats out of concrete is just another tool to that end. I did like the mild argument he got into with Namshiel over gopher wood. "No I dont have any gopher wood. Nobody has any. It probably doesn't even exist any more." And now the burnig question of the series is WTF is gopher wood?

I am hoping we'll see a different aspect of "power creep" on the more relational/political level. We know that Harry and his enemies are gently caress-off powerful. It might be fun to see Harry deal with people in ways other than Forzare/Fuego/Soulfire bitch-slap. Though we'll presumably get plenty of that as well.

Gopher Wood is referenced in the bible as the kind of wood Noah's Ark was made out of. Its unclear exactly what wood it was supposed to be referring to but a lot of folklore paints it as an ancient super wood of some kind

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Looking at the spoilers Did Butcher really fridge Murphy just to give Harry fee-feels? Seriously? That is the end of that character, she gets to join Susan in 'dead so Harry Dresden feels sad and can gently caress more hot women' heaven?

He didn't fridge her unless your definition of fridging is 'a woman in a relationship dies' which would be so broad as to be completely useless.

Honestly everything leading up to and surrounding her death was the strongest part of the book by far.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

From what I have been told she died in a completely pointless way killed by what amounted to a joke character and then Harry spends the rest of the book using his pain at her loss for powerups before being told she is Permanently Forever Dead No Matter What.

Rudolph isn't a joke character, he's literally been her personal nemesis for a bunch of books now. Her death also really doesn't inspire Harry, it makes him absolutely break down and the only thing that pulls him together is the thought of his daughter dying if he doesn't.

Also she got taken to Valhalla as an einherjar and can't come back to earth until nobody living remembers her. Which is blatant foreshadowing that she absolutely is going to come back with a pretty major powerup at some point, probably when Ragnarok breaks out during the final trilogy. The restriction mostly seems to be to explain why she isn't just going to show up as one of Odin's mercenaries the next day

Zore fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Oct 6, 2020

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
But for real there are like 6-7 books left in the series? I'll eat a hat if Murphy isn't a major character in at least 3 of them. Butcher is absolutely going to have an evil version in Mirror Mirror and there was no reason to make her an einjerhar if she isn't coming back for the big apocalyptic trilogy at the end

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Rudolph is Murphy's nemesis to the degree that he is the scummy IA guy who is harassing the good noble cop from every movie on the planet. At every chance he is shown to be a corrupt coward who is literally a source of comedy at every single chance presented. Even after he murders Murphy and Dresden is threatening to murder him there is a focus on the fact he both peed and pooed his pants.

I donno. I gave Butcher a whole lot of credit earlier in the thread that he had a plan for Murphy. As it stands now it looks like his plan was "I'm tired of writing a female character who can't be described as the sexiest sexpot who ever sexed." Maybe I'm just willing to give him less credit after the COVID thing but I just don't buy that this is totally a natural ending for Murphy's plot arc. It's not even the dying thing (her becoming an einherjar was basically one of the two running theories since Skin Game at least) it's basically dying like Tara from Buffy.

Edit: I also admit my opinion on Rudolph is also colored by Marster's reading of him which is absolutely comical.

So I think the scene touched on a theme that Battle Ground was leaning really hard on, that ultimately the mortal world was more dangerous than the supernatural one. Murphy is told in both Peace Talks and Battle Grounds that she's too injured, things are too dangerous. But in situations where they're facing supernatural foes across both books Murphy is an invaluable asset who contributes a lot. She kills a giant that was about to murder Harry single-handedly right before the scene with Rudolph.

And then Rudolph kills her without even meaning to. One of the things the series absolutely beats into your head is that the Supernatural world is terrified of the mortal world for exactly that reason. Rudolph is a coward and he kills someone who qualified to become an einjerhar entirely by accident. Humans are incredibly messy and ultimately more dangerous than these ancient monsters. Its reinforced with Harry's volunteer army of Chicagoans who help hold off the Formor and the fact that for as terrifying as everything seemed, the bad guys were on a time limit the whole time because once even the National Guard arrived they were completely hosed.

I dunno, it worked for me. And I stand by the idea that she is absolutely still going to be playing a pretty major role moving forward

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

smertrioslol posted:

Dresden is almost always broken or recovering from being broken. My guy needs to take a break from world ending poo poo and learn a more efficient fire spell - though according to the books this takes years of practice? When is the last time we have seen Dresden practice?

When he was convalescing in Cold Days, and before that when he was training Molly. And both times he pulled off stuff in the books he had previously described as beyond his level of control (mostly stuff to do with veils on the fly).

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Up Circle posted:

didn't dresden grow like 6 inches taller sometime in the last 10 years

No? He was always like 6'7 from book 1. Butcher calls him NBA sized like twice per book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Azhais posted:

Strictly speaking she's only mostly dead since let's be honest, she's definitely an Einherjar now.

Just based on ages in the books she's 31+however long it's been since summer knight

Yeah she's explicitly pushing 50 when she dies since Harry's in his mid-40s and she's a few years older than him.