Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

If you haven't checked out or heard of the latest Dresden comic War Cry yet, you can read the first issue here for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

I think it'd be far, far better if Harry's dad was just a really cool dude, with nothing to do with the supernatural.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

KellHound posted:

Hey so my drawing schedule lightened up now that my book is coming out from Darkhorse. So I have the free time to do Daily Dresden Drawings for Summer Knight and maybe Death Masks. But I'm drawing a blank on what to use at the cover Summer Knight. So what are some of you guys favorite scenes in Summer Knight. Preferable comedy wise so it matches the Harry dressed as cheesy vampire drawing I did for my Grave Peril booklet which is still free BTW> https://gumroad.com/l/RpbD

Edit: And same question for Death Marks

Not sure about comedy wise (though I always did like Meryl chumping Harry into bins and out of pizza as well as Sanya's prank calls) but Harry unhorsing the Sidhe charge and Nicodemus facing off against Harry, Michael and Marcone on the train. Murphy's chainsaw and Ursiel are both right up there, too.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Shinjobi posted:

There should be a ghost hat. So it doesn't exist, but does at the same time.

I think this would solve most of the hat dilemma.:colbert:

Half the time, anyway.

Would there be a Schrodinger's cat in this Schrodinger's hat?

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Pretty sure Harry could tell the difference between 'Sanya had his hair fall out/replaced with radioactive scalding' and 'Sanya shaved his head'. Though I could completely see Sanya walking into a reactor breach, and possibly even walking out again. Temporarily, anyway.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

OptimusWang posted:

Only if we get Paul Blackthorne back as Harry. The rest of the show was poo poo but he was great, especially given what he was working with.

I will accept Vincent whateverhisnameisfromthatinvisiblemanshow (Vega?) if needed.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Grundulum posted:

I always imagined Morgan looking like an older Terry Goodkind. The association with Sword of Truth made it even easier to dislike the character. :v:

He did have the thinning yeard. And the ratlike features.

...and the severe focus on objectivity. And a magic sword? I think we're onto something here.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

There's a few lines in the series where Dresden talks about setting up demonstrations of him using magic for people (presumably with recording equipment set up far away enough to not get fried as well as eyewitnesses) and everyone who saw it thought it was all an illusion or CGI or similar.

It's why I think the start of the world learning magic is real is either going to be some huge space/atmospheric effect - Mab goes crazier and turns all the clouds in the world into her face to yell at everybody - or a huge monster that can't be hidden and won't dissolve into ectoplasm attacks some reasonably big televised live event, like, say, a baseball match. Bonus points if Harry gets filmed from afar dealing with it magically.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

I was looking for Peace Talks progress updates when I found Butcher had tweeted the first line back in Feb (apologies if I missed it in the thread already).

It has some... implications.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Pretty much. Also the whole lethal feeding if not true love thing.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

I'm pretty sure the White Court will be one of the, if not the, next big faction to taken out of the picture entirely. Lara's resources are too much for Harry to have access to and retain as much tension, and I'm pretty sure Thomas is going to die by the final trilogy anyway.

Also there was some discussion about the world finding out magic is real a while back, and I'm hoping it's something so big it can't be ignored or excused, like a televised baseball match Harry's attending being attacked by a giant that's physical in nature so it leaves a body.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Rumda posted:

It all depends on whether the curse is only being powered by Thomas now or if it has reattached itself to Harry.

Maggie and Ebenezer might be included there.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

^ It's about a year between Death Masks and Blood Rites, (late series spoiler)Maggie is definitely around and it's compared to the loup garou curse so it's definitely bloodline.

thrawn527 posted:

Using spoilers because I know I'm not the only poster going through these for the first time.

Finished Proven Guilty last night. It was good, but I'm a little torn on the ending. I was liking the smaller story aspect of most of the book, someone bringing movie horror monsters to life and feeding off the fear they elicited. But the reveal that it was who the hell knows? And how did Dresden's redirect spell get re-redirected at Molly? And they took her without killed her because...she had also use a spell fear, so they liked that? Also, the big climax coming around 75% in, followed by a ton of falling action kind of messed with the flow a bit. The last chapter was almost Return of the King like, with "And then I talked to Molly, and she left...and then Thomas came in, we talked, he left...and then Murphy came in, we talked, he left...and then McCoy came in, and we talked..."

Like, I would have been fine with a big time stakes book, or a small time one. But I didn't really buy the jump from small time to big time here. And what the gently caress was with the frozen captured noble woman turning to Dresden and winking with Mab's eyes? I'm guessing I'm not supposed to know yet. But it made no sense here.

Actually, I'm assuming I'm not supposed to know any of these things yet. So I've probably got some of those allears smileys coming soon.

Basically (no spoilers for anything past PG from here on) because Molly used black magic to compel her friends with fear, that made her a target for the fetches and she was unintentionally the beacon for their appearances. So when Dresden redirected it back at the summoner, it worked as planned and they went straight to her, even though Harry wouldn't have done so if he'd known. They took her because 1. they're faeries and they like being huge dicks and more importantly 2. they can feed off mortal wizards even better than vanilla mortals. I never got that feeling from the ending but I can see it dragging on for someone, it's not the tightest finale he's written.

As for that last part, it's to let you know that Mab is playing her own game here, and you don't know the rules, dun dun dunnnnn

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

thrawn527 posted:

Not going to quote Illuyankas so I don't see the late series spoiler at the top, but that kind of makes sense. So someone summoned the fetches, but Molly became the beacon instead of the summoner? Is that right? I guess I'm not seeing why she was the beacon more than the summoner. Unless the summoner was actually pushing from the Nevernever?

It's entirely possible I missed something obvious explaining that last part. I stayed up way too late reading the book last night.

Not quite. When Dresden refers to the summoner he means Molly, as she is unintentionally drawing the fetches into the real world because of the fear she provoked in Nelson and Rosie and her own magical power. Dresden's mistake was thinking the fetches were showing up by someone deliberately allowing them to cross over, rather than using the fear generated to open the door from the Nevernever and bring more and more fetches over, which lasts up til they kidnap Molly.

Of course, then Mab winks at Harry and you remember how it takes a serious power to open the way from the Nevernever side such as a queen of Faerie, and now you're sure you don't know what's going on.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

thrawn527 posted:

Sorry for the double post, but more Turn Coat spoilers, Morgan loving dies?! That sucks. So what was the point of the book? He could have died at the beginning and saved everyone some trouble. I guess Peabody was exposed. Still...drat.

If he'd died at the beginning, Peabody would've gotten away with it, Luccio and the other wardens would still be mind-controlled, and all the other consequences they go over in the book itself would happen. This way Morgan saves the woman he loves and the organisation he's spent his 200 year life serving.

Let us know how you enjoy Changes!

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

For The Dresden Files 3000 it'll have changed so that technology is fine but the biobrains used to run the ansibles and warp capable ships explode near wizards so Harrz Drisdoon has to use boring sublight engines and quantum entanglement phones to travel and talk to people. Also a hoverbike to get through the Nevernever to other planets.

e: a spacejet hoverbike

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Wade Wilson posted:

Like, the way Atticus reacted to the Morrigan buying him time to get some distance on the greek gods trying to kill him because she loved him was just terrible.

I stopped on the book before, and holy poo poo that's awful.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

I just find it hilarious that Vox Day is against women voting in general, not just for sci fi books.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Blasphemeral posted:

My sentiments, exactly. It wasn't phenomenal. Probably not the selection I would have chosen to introduce a new work. But it wasn't bad at all.

What are you guys expecting? Shakespeare? loving seriously.

It read like a cliche rebelling noble child leaving scene viewed through a lens set in a cogwheel that serves no purpose other than to state that yes, this is steampunk

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Wait, "wollypog"?! Is that really a word you want to be referencing, Jim?

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

I listen to audiobooks while I travel to and from work because I have nearly died from reading a book while walking by a road and also it makes me feel like I'm losing less of my precious street cred than listening to podcasts.

It's like a really slow song with better than average lyrics.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

You should be more careful jerking off about how reading the books is so much better than audio, you'll get the pages sticky

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

A potentially still-ongoing AMA from Butcher

Some interesting answers there, and some dumb ones. Bonea? Really? e: scratch that, it's a typo

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Snipee posted:

Hey, so do you guys know any rumors or actual news about Peace Talks? I saw its title mentioned on Jim Butcher's website, but I'm a little confused why this book is taking longer than the previous ones.

Well he's said before that it'll be about (I think) treaties with the fomor and the White Council/Winter Court/whoever, and that it'll have the highest amount of supernatural violence in the series thus far. Finish date is projected to be Jan 1st (pushed back from Oct 1st by talking cats)

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

One of the references to it around midseries is him thinking he's 'in the top thirty or forty wizards alive in terms of magical horsepower' and probably the strongest wizard in his generation, top five at worst. Not all of those wizards would be Wardens though.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Poopy Palpy posted:

Our Harry is dark Harry. Mirror Harry scoots around in a magic wheelchair.

I hope he's bald. "To me, my Dres-men!"

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Man I'm glad someone caught Marsters inbetween recording Summer Knight and Death Masks to let him know sigil isn't actually pronounced 'siggle'. I have no idea if Maeve is pronounced 'Mav' or 'Mayve' but if it's the latter, that's fixed too!

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Was looking up some info on that Dresden War Cry comic (basically was it any good) and found a compliation of info revealed about Peace Talks: http://ssbookreviews.blogspot.co.uk/2014/08/PeaceTalksInformation.html

It seems a little out of date, and is missing one tweet I saw once that was maybe a joke or something, but reasonable info nonetheless.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

The only bad thing about the Dresden audiobooks is that there are only so many ways Marsters can say "What?" and "Go! Go! Go!" before your brain dies

Incoming audiobook snobbery roundabout derail aside, I had a thought about the faerie-make thorn manacles, and how they probably weren't magnetic and could fit on Dresden while he was in an MRI machine, which could be a cool chapter

Also it somewhat evades the 'why doesn't Harry put a pair on and then go on the internet' with the incredible discomfort thing, but you'd think they'd have invented a painless one by now

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Still say Vincent Ventresca would be good, and he's also probably free right now

Wheat Loaf posted:

In the meantime, I'm reading Anasi Boys. I'm not enjoying it as much as Neverwhere or American Gods or either of the Gaiman short-story collections I've read. That's not to say it's badly-written or anything; it's just that Spider sleeping with his brother's fiancée while allowing her to believe he is someone else is a bit ooo-errr.

I bailed on Anansi Boys the moment I realised Fat Charlie was pushing through the wrong crowd to deliver the speech, glad to see I didn't miss much

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

I don't know how but the Iron Druid guy made a talking dog unlikable

And I maintain the lolcats bit is an indefensible travesty

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

You can also just drop it and skip to Grave Peril now

Harry and Susan hook up, the wolf kids show up later, the belts are a minor plot point and the next book starts in media res with characters new to the series and doesn't mention anything from Fool Moon anyway so you're fine and now you can be free~

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

I do enjoy Marsters' voice work, even if it took until Death Masks for them to check how certain names are pronounced - Sumner Knight scenes featuring 'Mav' instead of Maeve, etc

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

No idea if this is applicable outside the UK, but the Kindle store has books 1 to 5 for 99p each as today's deal if you wanted a digital copy or were waiting for a sale to get a friend into the series etc

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Still think Vincent whatever from The Invisible Man would have been a good Dresden, is he even still acting?

team overhead smash posted:

I picked these up. The first book was mostly okay, but does it tone down the chauvinistic vibe in the later books?

Yes, but it's worse in 1 and 2 than the rest of the series. Don't be afraid to skip to 3 if you want, 2 has a few good scenes but is probably the worst book in the series and you can always come back to it later

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Personally the way the last Laundry book ended with a surprise proposal gave me serious old school Asimov style vibes, like the way half their stories end, and I'm not entirely sure why

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

The second one is probably my least favourite and the most like another genre, stick with them imo

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

I forgot Brief Cases had come out because I stopped following Dresden, but finding out by seeing it going on Kindle for 99p was a pleasant surprise

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Expecting the opening line of Battle Ground to be the city was on fire and it wasn't my fault

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

I vaguely remember (maybe from Skin Game?) that the Denarians were kicked out of the Accords for attacking Mab's Knight.