Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

ImpAtom posted:

Wait, poo poo, that works? :psyduck:

yeah, and my american titles still work just fine

Amazon.com > Your Account > View your Kindle Orders > Settings (tab) > Country Settings (scroll down, 2nd from the top)

click CHANGE and set it to 10 downing street, London, United Kingdom (I had to look up the postal code) and set it. Then go to amazon.co.uk and buy it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

g0del posted:

Agreed. Minor spoilers for Annihilation Score: Towards the end of the book, Mo feels betrayed by someone she trusted, and she compares it to how she would feel if Bob had cheated on her. Despite the fact that she's been actively cheating* on Bob! That kind of hypocrisy might be typical for a lot of people, but those are the kind of people that I don't really like very much.
They were separated.

quote:

I also think that it could have used at least one more editing pass. In one scene Mo doesn't want to have to explain the enigma of Officer Friendly to a group of politicians, and then in the very next scene she has no idea who Officer Friendly is.
Being aware of the existence of an agent assigned to a government agency is very different from knowing the full background of the agent.

quote:

*Yeah, she didn't sleep with Officer Friendly,** but as far as I'm concerned going out on dates and having a heavy make-out session in the back seat of a limo counts as cheating.
Again, they were separated.

If you want to criticize Mo for her behavior and outlook towards Bob, there is plenty in this book to go from. Withholding information about his medical condition from him for years? All internal dialogue comparing him to an object instead of as a person? When thinking about him always in context of what he could do for her instead of thinking of him as her partner? All valid and in keeping with how her character is written. Getting hyped about actions while they were separated is a stretch. Particularly when when it turns out it was a Honeypot trap

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Khizan posted:

[]Also, I missed that medical condition part you're talking about, when was that?[/spoiler]

It isn't a spoiler, it pops up in one of the stock background info dumps. It is a real quick one-liner that Mo mentions Bob has been immune to K-syndrome since the events of The Fuller Memorandum. But the risk of K-syndrome has been a big, character defining fear of Bob in Apocalypse Codex and Rhesus Chart. So Mo knows he's terrified of it, knows he is safe from it, and just never mentioned it to him.

Per Stross it's a minor retcon and wasn't meant to be read as a note on the two of them and their relationship, which it's clear it wasn't meant as (it's 1 line in an infodump). But now that it's out there, it either changes the context of the past 2 books (and Bob's character, that he is insanely paranoid after the threat is long past and this has held back his growth in the Laundry) or changes their relationship (if you were waiting for the oncologist to call back with the biopsy results and it turns out your partner knew, how would you feel?)

The rest I'll comment on when not phone posting