Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
At last I can read this loving thread again! Spoilers obviously.
Butters getting the sword was pretty awesome. Whum, whum, whum! I hope Harry moves in with Murphy. It just makes sense. Who else will take care of Mister? And Mouse will be just as strong at Murphy's place as he ever was at the Carpenters, so Maggie can come too. :3 It was nice to see Harry get an honest win here, after such a rough time of it recently. This broke up the trend of vampire books every 3 novels, too. I like how Butcher let Harry get over his gooniness about girls too, at least when it comes to fighting them. I don't think we'll see Lasciel again, though it's sad to see Lash confirmed for dead. I did not expect Harry to have basically another daughter, though its pretty drat cool. I'm slightly worried she's going to shack up with Bob.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Skippy McPants posted:

Stuff about Hannah Ascher

I think the problem is, the First Law is mostly bullshit.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Mars4523 posted:

Waldo Butters is actually a few years older than Murphy is. Plus he's not particularly fit, and he's completely untrained in any sword styles. Shiro remained a threat to Denarians even in his old age due to his utterly ridiculous fitness and his even more ridiculous mastery of his blade. Butters has none of that.

Here's the thing: the only thing that the Swords do are even the playing field. At which point you're not fighting a terrifyingly freakish demon spawn from hell, but only an exceptionally skilled warrior with millennia of experience. The Sword doesn't teach you to fight well, you need to know how to fight already.

Yeah, sure, but Butters has a loving Lightsaber. If the swords power is partly derived from belief of the user like I suspect, then Butter's sword will do everything a lightsaber can do, including cutting through mundane swords like butter.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Bunnita posted:

I'm at a signing and I got to ask how old Murphy is. Murphy is five years older than Dresden and is 42.

When he signs I'm going to ask if McCoy knows who Thomas is though for done reason I think it's been asked before. Either that or where the hell McCoy is since he obviously knows Dresden is alive and the Gatekeeper knows a way so I doubt Mab could keep him off the island

He definitely knows. I'm very sure Dresden has told McCoy that Thomas is his brother.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Illuyankas posted:

Incidentally which audiobook has James Marsters go 'holy poo poo' while reading a scene out?

No its not its Dead Beat.

Unless he does it twice.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

ImpAtom posted:

If they weren't killed by the spell, they're alive and will be showing up again. That's way too big a gun not to fire especially considering how much damage they did to Harry.

They were left in the hands of some extremely unpleasant Fae bent on eating them, I believe.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I couldn't keep reading the Rivers of London series because the protagonist was too dumb for me.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Mr.48 posted:

What makes you say that? I saw him as simply inexperienced, both in the occult business and with being a police officer in general. He's pretty fresh from the academy when we meet him in book one.

He doesn't notice things and doesn't put things together. When he does figure something isn't right, he doesn't always act on that knowledge. It's been a few years but I remember being particularly incensed with him in the 2nd book with the Jazz Vampire ladies.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

ImpAtom posted:

The protagonist in Rivers of London is seriously the worst part of the books. He's just so ineffectual, so dumb (sometimes intentionally, at least according to the author), and surrounded by people who are way more effective and interesting than he is.

I agree. I'd much rather read about literally any other main character. Even the weird maid.
Hell, especially the weird maid.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Azuth0667 posted:

If Jim follows the pattern the next time we will see Nic is the last case file.

Remember Changes was supposed to be the midpoint, and it was at book 12. I'll be drat surprised if he doesn't make it to 22 at least.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Butcher got a divorce?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

OneTwentySix posted:

You can always read the urban fantasy not worth reading. Iron Druid, anyone?

Don't wish that evil on people, even as a joke.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Daric posted:

Boy are you in for a trip.

Wait until you get that Sanderson addiction and have read every novel, short story, and novella he’s ever put out. They’re all great.

I can’t be alone in having bounced hard off the Mistborn sequels.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
There's a really good thread here on these very forums that's Urban Fantasy set in the Shadowrun universe. Blake Island, it's called. Multiple novels worth of plot so far.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Someone asked for a link to Blake Island, our very own Shadowrun novel series being written live on the forums. Here you go.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3835049

Warning: It's both long and good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I view Changes as the end of the storyline I was invested in. I like some of the stuff that follows, but it doesn't always hold my interest.