Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Avalerion posted:

Giving Verus a try and it's better than it sounds, Alex is pretty much the Batman of mages, taking on other "supers" by being crazy prepared.

I think my favorite thing is that the author realizes some of the things he gives Verus are overpowered, and makes sure they're destroyed or lost. It's nice seeing someone try to keep the power creep in check instead of Dresden where I'm pretty sure he could blow up the moon now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Ornamented Death posted:

I think it's been stated that someone else has that title. However, it is possible to transfer titles, so my money is on that happening at some point.

The publisher cancelling the Harmony Black series might put a damper on that though. As much as I like him cranking out books like crazy, he really needs to slow down a tad and put a bit more effort into each one.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Iron Druid reads like a first draft that was written with a very hazy outline and then never really developed before it was published. It is frustrating because there are some interesting parts and ideas scattered in the first novel, some interesting characters, but Atticus, the pacing, the lack of polish, it all grates throughout and drags down the whole thing.

If you manage to write a dog that people dislike you probably hosed up somewhere.

I'm honestly kind of happy I finished it, because at least the ending is kind of satisfying. End of series spoilers: Atticus gets his arm chopped off in revenge for all the dumb stuff he did, loses his ability to shapeshift, heal, teleport, etc. He also alienates all of his friends and associates and ends up broken and alone.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

OptimusWang posted:

So I’m 6 chapters into the first Faust book and this is pretty good you guys. Some of the characters feel pretty cookie-cutter, but otherwise I dig it.

Good news for you, Schaefer puts out a book every 3 months or so between his 3 current series set in the same universe.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

superbelch posted:

I must have missed it but new Rivers of London book out in November!

New Laundry Files and Baru Cormorant sequel on the 30th of October too.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

Nah. The weakest Harmony is the third one and that's just underwhelming, not offensive.

It’s worth noting that the author is insistent that a big part of the failure of harmony black was his old publisher forcing things into the story. I’m not sure I buy that, but I’m giving it another chance with the new books.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

DreamingofRoses posted:

N. K. Jemisin is amazing and very often heartbreaking and I read/finished her Shattered Earth trilogy while my mom was in the hospital/shortly after she died and the Afterword (IIRC) of the last book left me in tears. I think The City We Became is her latest, right?

It is, and it's fantastic.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

gerg_861 posted:

Not going to disagree that this started slow, it was one of those novels where it took me 3 days to read the first half and 3 hours to read the second half. Fair warning, The Hungry Dreaming is also Schaefer's longest book. Harmony Black is fine, but I wouldn't read it if it didn't cross over with Faust.

Hungry dreaming was also originally a serial with a weekly release on his Patreon, which probably explains some of the weird pacing issues.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Velius posted:

Harmony Black and Wisdom’s grave are both relevant, but the former you can probably get away with “Harmony is a magic FBI agent” and be okay. Wisdom’s Grave is a lot more backstory relevant and seems like it will influence a bunch of things moving forward.

It’s been like six months since the last book, is Shaefer okay?

He’s been pretty open on his blog/twitter about the pandemic kicking off massive depression for him. He’s back in a good place again now and writing again.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Deptfordx posted:

New Charles Stross Laundry Files spin-off dropped.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Quantum-Nightmares-Management-world-Laundry/dp/0356516938

No trip report, because it reminded me I hadn't gotten around to reading the first one yet so I've moved that up the 'to-read' pile.

The first one in this series was just kind of mediocre. I’ll probably hold out for some reviews.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

secular woods sex posted:

Halfway through the new Incryptid book, and I am enjoying it.

I enjoyed it. Conversely, I bought the new laundry files book for $11 not realizing it’s only 86 pages long. Definitely don’t recommend picking that up.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Insert name here posted:

Was talking to some friends about this the other day and told them that we really should have seen this coming when Faust got into a loving, healthy, and wholesome relationship with a succubus. :v:

One of my friends made a comment about how well written his trans character in the hungry dreaming was, makes sense now.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Have you listened to anything Schaefer has written? Not so much the standalone Harmony Black books, but the Faust, revanche cycle, and other things in that universe, plus the hungry dreaming.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Soonmot posted:

Any idea how long between print and audio for the October Daye books? The wedding book was the last one on audible.

The author posted on twitter that there was a delay booking the audiobook narrator, it should be out on the 13th.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Double posting (a month later), but the first of two kickstarter funded Twenty Palaces book is out: https://www.amazon.com/Iron-Gate-Twenty-Palaces-ebook/dp/B0BGYCYW31/ref=sr_1_1.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

docbeard posted:

I need to give this one another try. I bounced quite hard off it for some reason, and I don't think it had anything to do with the book itself.

I did really like his "The Way Into..." trilogy even if the ending felt a bit "Okay I'm in the last 100 pages of the last book I guess I'd better do something to wrap this up". He's not always the most polished of authors but he's got some real invention in his storytelling and I'll forgive a lot for that.

His fantasy trilogy was awful. I think the opaqueness is something I appreciated about 20P when I started, it made the world feel big and mysterious.

He said in his kickstarter update he’ll come back to 20P after the flood gate, but he wants to write something else first.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

DreamingofRoses posted:

I just started on the InCryptid audiobooks. I’m like a third of the way into the first one and I adore the mice.

InCryptid is one of those series' you just can't explain to a friend without making it sound incredibly dumb, but the author pulls it off somehow.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Xiahou Dun posted:

O’Brien’s my stuff so he’s read some but he’s not super into historicals. He’s fine with them but learning a bunch of sailboat facts isn’t a draw. Unlike weird space ship stuff which he’ll read loads of so long as it’s accurate and he recreationally got a physics degree, so high bar.

Has he read any Alastair Reynolds? It’s not urban fantasy, but he’s a former European space agency astrophysicist who writes hard sci fi for space nerds.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

For anyone not following releases, the new InCryptid book and the first book in Max Gladstone's newest craft sequence seriesboth came out on Tuesday.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Soonmot posted:

audio or text only?

I'm on the second sara book for incrytpid and I love these books but goddamn they're so loving straight.

Not sure, I only buy text. She introduced some queer characters in the next book from where you are I think.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Soonmot posted:

How queer is it and how horny is it, because that sounds wonderful

The author is trans, if that's any indication. No real sex in it, but it's a great book.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

It is a genuinely lovely and comfortable book that is carried quite well through the characters. It's also a perfect counterpoint to some more serious and grim fantasy, like Abercrombie. Was genuinely disappointed when there wasn't another to pick up.

“Bookshops & Bonedust” is out in early November.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Saltpowered posted:

I was really skeptical about this book because the last few have been so good and I wasn't sold on the premise. I was completely wrong. Really brilliant book not just for the story itself (which was the best written amnesia story I've seen in genre. It really improved the overall narrative, answered many outstanding mysteries and moved the metaplot forward.

Seanan McGuire is just very good a plotting a book and her long-term story. She's knocked out as many October Daye books as Butcher has of Dresden in half the time with tighter plots and less inconsistencies across the series.

I need to read the new Rivers of London book now.

Book 18 comes out in October because she wrote it as a two parter, too. It looks like the same story but from tybalts perspective.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Benedict Jacka's new book is out, https://benedictjacka.co.uk/inheritance-of-magic/. It's...fine so far.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Not sure if it counts as urban fantasy, but the second book in the craft wars drops the first week of April.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

rndmnmbr posted:

Sadly, Dresden Files and I have gone our separate ways at this point. Not Butchers fault, not the books fault, I'm just not the same person anymore that first picked up Summer Knight and fully bought into the series. I've changed, and Dresden hasn't, and I'm taking a weirder road than urban fantasy these days.

I'll still pick up the latest book in paperback whenever that happens, just for nostalgia's sake, but I'm not actively waiting for it either.

This is kind of my feeling too. It got me into the urban fantasy genre, but all the books it inspired are just better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

Let him settle down with his kid and then maybe have a book where he births his brain baby and maybe one where he deals with his stupid Cthulhu killer destiny. Butters and his magic Batman gimmick we only see glimpses of is way more interesting than 50 year old man still thinks about hard nipples.

No you see, he's not thinking about them! That's why he has to tell us he's not thinking about them so often, and in such great detail. Especially since he's known her since she was in training bras.