Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

I'll go first then, spoiler's for something that happens to change Harry's character.

In Chapter 14: Harry has sex with someone important to him.. It made me laugh.

Edit: Made it less obvious. I don't want to ruin anyone's experiences.

Edit2: Crap, sorry Imp. :(

SystemLogoff fucked around with this message at 03:23 on May 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Screen Door Slams posted:

The "It was all a dream" reveal on the sex scene was interesting.

I know, I mean at first I thought it was going to be something stupid like "see, I can keep in control!" but it was a good character building moment.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Screen Door Slams posted:

Chapter 20: That conversation between Harry and Michael was so loving good.

I know, and Harry needed that talk badly. Also, yay Mouse :3:

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Bookstore was kind to me. Curled up with hot chocolate.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Just finished.

Holy gently caress.

That is all. Enjoy the adventure everyone. Just, yeah.

Holy poo poo, go _ _ _ _ _ _ _, kick all the rear end!

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Fried Chicken posted:

I know he has said any Maggie & Mouse stories would be kids book level rather than short stories, but I still want to learn more about the monster under the bed they slayerized

I think it would be really short.

Maggie: There's something under there Mouse! :(

Mouse: Woof.

The monster runs for its life.

Maggie: Yay! Doggie hugs! :3:

Mouse wags his tail.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Fellwenner posted:

I hope that future books don't have as many nerd references as this book contained. It was saturated with them, and while it is sort of who Harry is, it's just getting to be a bit much.

I really could not see any major extra references in this book compared to the old ones. It may have been a bit more noticeable with one being a code word.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

He does not look as goony with the haircut though.

although, google images will have the long-hair doggie larp? photo forever. Hopefully when the Winter Mantel is destroyed somehow, causing another huge problem it'll make Harry reflect a bit.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Well, we don't quite know how "free" the free will it gives people is. For all we know people are just puppets or have their selves pushed deep down inside.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

ConfusedUs posted:

You're crazy. The Rook was awesome.

Reading that blurb really makes me want to read the rook again. There is something so nice about the letters from my dead self throughout the story.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

I've read through Blood Engines, and Poison Sleep. They are not too bad. No long drawn out sex scenes anyway. The world they live in feels very bland and the magic community does not feel 'real' in the book.

Decent enough, a few weird lines. Good to pass the time while waiting for other urban fantasy.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

darth cookie posted:

Alex Verus, Hidden spoilers:

A lot of it is set in what is basically the castle from ICO, windmill and all.

and now I've finished the entire Dresden series, including Skin game again, and the entire Verus series including Hidden again. It wasn't enough. Need more non-poo poo urban fantasy (I've read several of the other series listed in the OP, and turned my nose up at the rest). gently caress. :sigh:

Maybe I'll go through the Matthew Swift or Felix Castor series again but... :effort: and I'd rather read something new.

Try the InCryptid series? They are surprisingly good stories about a mostly normal human dealing with a world of magical creatures. It also has magical talking mice, and it's amazing.

Discount Armageddon
Midnight Blue-light Special
Half-Off Ragnarok

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

p0zer posted:

I just got done reading Bill the Vampire. It is far from good, but it is a lot of fun.

I figure I would just suggest it in here because this thread has turned into the unofficial Urban Fantasy Discussion House.

I know it's :goodreads: but uh:

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Eh, it's not really a case of better, more different styles.

I enjoy the River's of London books, but I find them really dull at the same time. I could drop the series and not really care about the fates of the characters, but reading them does pull me in.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

So, I started Urban Shaman on recommendation from a friend.

quote:

"The Hunt took Cernunnos away," Marie said. "I'm not sure anyone's ever hurt him like that before."

"Bully for me." I kept rubbing my cheek. "How'd I get into the parking lot?"

"I carried you," Gary volunteered. "The diner was on fire."

I turned around and looked at it. Sure enough, it was on fire. There were firemen there now, and I realized I 'd been hearing the sounds of water and steam and men calling to one another since I woke up. Clouds of steam and smoke rose up, and, as I watched, a section of the roof fell in.

I think this is going to be a fun urban fantasy read. Apparently the series finished this year too. Please don't turn to poo poo book, I need more good urban fantasy. :v:

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Tunicate posted:

It lost me at the second book, which backpedals a lot on stuff that happened in the first one.

Yeah, reading the second book it's all "oh no, I don't want to be magical even though I did all these things"

I'm trying to power though it to see if it picks up again.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Coyote Dreams is so much better over the second book. I'm glad I decided to power though.

So far the Walker Papers is turning out decently. I can even tolerate every car metaphor.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

The Parasol Protectorate Series is a fun read if you can tolerate a little steampunk (as in "oh hey, steam no punk") in your life. It's very popcorny/groan-worthy in a few places though.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Fuuuuccck. My free time is now crying.

I hope you're happy ConfusedUS. :(

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

I'll just leave this new livejournal post from Jim Butcher here:

http://jimbutcher.livejournal.com/4837.html?nojs=1

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

It all depends on how much you care about the story of letters being left behind.

It makes me worried about the second book, because the contact/similarities between the old and new character really makes me love that book.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Mars4523 posted:

nly does Murphy get to do more, we also meet Elaine, who's pretty cool.

After reading The Faust series, where one of the main characters is a non sexualized, not involved in sex work succubus, reading about the White Court is just painful.

By the way I'm 90% sure that the Black Council/Nemesis thing is a retcon.

Do you have a title of one of the books? Googling "The Faust Series" just gives me every adaptation ever. :v:

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

The books get better, and the new book is following her brother.

I really enjoy that the character's arc is wrapped up and we move on to someone new. Helps things not power-explode, and bloat.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

A Plain-Dealing Villain is pretty good so far.

quote:

I wondered, for a brief instant, what a necromancer like Damien Echo could do with the skeleton of a T-rex. I shrugged the idea off. Nobody’s that good.

I wonder if the author is a fan of another series.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

mistaya posted:

I know everyone loves Sanderson but I really just can't get into him because it's like reading glorified Player's Handbook fluff. I got about two chapters into Way of Kings and he takes this actually interesting fight scene between a dude with gravity bending powers and a dude in magic armor and makes it completely soul-less. It's like reading an Ikea manual. Step one, tether yourself the ceiling. Step two, tether Enemy A to the ceiling. Step three, untether yourself and chop Enemy A from step 2 in half as you descend from Step one. Step four, repeat as necessary.

WE GET IT BRANDON.

Sorry, it's probably an unpopular opinion but while I can respect Sanderson a lot I can't make myself LIKE his books. They're better in audiobook format, though I managed to get through Mistborn series one and Elantris via audio, but trying to sit down and read them? Yuck.

I play League of Legends with Jim occasionally and pester him for 'what he's working on now' hints, so here's two Peace Talks teasers:

Maggie makes pancakes. :shobon:
Ebenezer and Thomas talk family. :aaa:

Sanderson's best books are his short ones, read The Emperor's Soul or his new one Perfect State.

They are so very good, and so worth your time.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Finally managed to read this. Overall I liked it. Stross sortof has a problem in that he clearly didn't plan for the Laundry series to take off like it has, he wasn't planning this many sequels, and his characters have, in RPG terms, leveled up too many times, especially after the end of the last book. So he has to either change the sort of series he's writing, or switch out the main characters, or reset them, or all three. Last book started that process (setting up a few new potential long-term characters), and this one's another step; it has a remarkably different tone from the others, it's got a different protagonist, and it apparently resets Mo's power level somehow.

Given all that I thought this one was pretty entertaining even missing a lot of the British politics jabs. There were some decently comic bits and it did a really good job of chronicling the breakdown in Bob and Mo's relationship in a believable way while also incorporating the fantasy elements. I don't think it really could have competed with the end of Rhesus Chart, this one was doing something different.

Yeah, I agree. I also really liked not having to follow Bob for a change, I was so tired of him.

Mo was pretty great this book, and I'm sad we don't get another book to follow her some more.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

mastajake posted:

Anything I should know before jumping into the Alex Verus series (no spoilers)? I've read all of the Dresden files at least once and the first three Rivers of London and enjoyed them, though Dresden more.

The main thing to remember is that it gets better, and you'll know the best character when you meet her.

Spider :3:

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Mars4523 posted:

As is Magic Shifts and Dark Ascension, the next Kate Daniels and Generation V novels respectively.

Fearless, which is Pax Arcana #3, is out next week.

Well, RIP my free time.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Envy of Angles is a really good popcorn book. It's got a cute cast of characters. Not sure how the second book is yet though.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Recent Reads:

Harmony Black: Great, makes the character stand out on her own.

Every Heart a Door: Confusing warm fuzzies and a book that feels young adult while talking about something important.

Working on ~Charming~ book one, not sure on it yet.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

AllTerrineVehicle posted:

Just accidentally found out that Harmony Black 2 is out tomorrow

What.

That's awesome.

Mars4523 posted:

That and Pax Arcana 4. Trying to decide which to crack open first.

Aaahhhhhhhhhh. My free time just died.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Early game he had less risk, later in the series it does pick up the danger.

I like the books, but until the real overarching story starts, they are a little bland.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

I'm the opposite, I really liked the book. I could see how someone in that situation would be really out of sorts, and rear end in a top hat violin did not help.

I liked it much more than Bob's pov.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

One of the people in Let's Play just self-published a short urban fantasy novel:

Chokes McGee posted:

Astin Fell lives the life of a struggling barista until he inexplicably sprouts wings and horns. Now he's the last servant of an unknown power, conscripted to fight the Taint---a horrific evil devouring the world one tiny piece at a time.

He'll have help: Nemesis, the shotgun-toting Goddess of Vengeance; Claudia Fischer, a woman with three different souls bonded inside of her; his nightmarish vampyre ex-girlfriend; and his telepathic house cat. But if Astin and his friends can't unravel the vast conspiracy lurking in the city's shadows, the Taint will consume everyone and everything in it... and there'll be nothing left to stop its spread.

It's a fun short read that helped to fill that ever longer Dresden wait. I hope the author keeps writing and improving.

Also, about Phoenix Guards, is it worth continuing on to the rest of the books?

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Gail's books are neat, but it has that steampunk issue of whitewashing a lot of the class issues away.

They are a good popcorn novel, same for the young adult novels in the same universe.

As far as I remeber, the hero is never helpless, so that was a bonus.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

gently caress, of course you would end the book there.

Aaaaaaaaaaaah, it's going to be too long until the next book.

Bound starts slow but really drives home at the end.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

anilEhilated posted:

I still maintain Richard Drakh is a really loving stupid name for a villain and it makes me rather unable to take him seriously.

He dresses up as a badass merc knight, I think he's a huge nerd. The mage name is just proof he was more obvious when he was younger.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

The library at Mount Char was good.

Hope the author keeps on writing, I'm excited to see how they grow as a writer.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Khizan posted:

Yeah, but that's all he has going for him. His books tend to be notably bad even by the relatively lax standards of the genre. Clunky dialogue, wooden characters, mediocre plotting and action scenes. He writes like his passion is RPG sourcebooks but he needs to write novels to pay the bills.

I think it's telling the the best things he's ever written are the last three Wheel of Time books, which were written using 11 books worth of somebody else's character development and voices, somebody else's plot notes and outlines, and somebody else's worldbuilding.

I'm sorry, but The Emperor's Soul is great. :colbert:

Snapshot and Legion are pretty good too.

SystemLogoff fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jul 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Strange Practice by Vivian Shaw was okay. It's not amazing, but it is a decent enough read. I could see the author improving, the world seems fun.

I need to find other authors to follow, I'm out of books in this genre again. I've moved into the urban superhero genre with Lexie Dunne's Superhero Books, but that's finished now as well. :v: