Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Captain Capacitor posted:

I'm going to be meeting Jim next week when he wanders by Seattle, so if you have any pressing questions I'll blatantly ignore them see what I can do.

Wait wait wait wait wait.

What?
Where and when?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Darkrenown posted:

In Summer Knight, there's a bit where Harry summons Lea by the lake and the description mentions circular scars on his wrists. What are they from, I have forgotten entirely.

Isn't that from his shield bracelet overheating?

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

404GoonNotFound posted:

And Peabody's response is to call German "a messy and imprecise language" :jerkbag:

"German is ... untidy". Amazing.

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Darkrenown posted:

Good read. Some thoughts:

How can Christ-artifacts be anti-Outsider weapons?

Five artifacts, five points to a summoning ring, each of which needs an artifact of some kind...

an upcoming big apocalyptic trilogy...

If you can summon Mother Winter, how much harder can it be to summon Jesus?

e:

For those who don't know, at the end of the apocalypse we get the Second Coming of Christ. Comes down from heaven on a horse. Nothing that says he can't be politely asked, first!

SolTerrasa fucked around with this message at 03:19 on May 29, 2014

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Tornhelm posted:

I doubt he'll go this way, but also:
Butters is Jewish, and we know from the swords descended from royalty. If he's descended from Rehoboam it'd bring the Ten Lost Tribes into the mix which are associated with the coming of the Messiah too.

Ah, see, I grew up premillenial dispensationalist, so the apocrypha are not really on my radar, theologically speaking.

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Dramatika posted:

OK, I haven't read the whole thread yet, but I wanted to chime in on my speculation about late book spoilers -

That placard had to be the King of the Jews sign that they put on Jesus's cross, right?

Yeah.

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Ha, Jim *loved* that chart / diagram / histogram of words which are repeated that someone presented to him at the Seattle signing. Whichever one of you did that, you're Good People.

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

A movie, in this case. By "a large production company, and I can't say which one, but most of you have seen their summer blockbuster already".

E: or... Something like that. I wasn't taking notes.

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Arcsech posted:

Huh. A movie by a large studio might actually have the SFX budget to make it look good. Now if only they can actually, y'know, stick to the books this time.

As I understand it, the deal gives him zero creative control.

So... Nope!

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Khizan posted:

Iron doesn't, though. In Cold Days, Harry gets by the Little Folk nailed several times without going all paraplegic again. The only time he loses control of his legs like that is when he says something like "Screw Winter Law" and the Mantle cuts out entirely.

At the Seattle signing Jim got asked this question and he did a big sarcastic "Wow! I guess that might be an inconsistency. I wonder if that's important. Nah, I'm sure it's nothing."

So... Probably his legs are fine and Mab just broke them again when he said "gently caress winter law" last book.

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Error 404 posted:

It would stand to reason that extra mass can be 'held over' in the Never never in the exact same way, it probably also ties in with the mind being an intangible and spiritual thing, because you can turn yourself into things that have even less mass than your brain has.

Butcher confirmed this at a signing when asked where the extra heat goes when a wizard uses ice magic.

(Dresden Files fans are huge nerds.)

His first response was to ask back at the questioner "physics or engineering?", and as you'd expect it was a physics major.

quote:

Also I severely disliked the winter mantle explanation by butters, if this is some attempt to make it fit some dumbass RPG as someone said, grrr... 

This was also asked at the signing; Jim said definitely not. He laughed at the idea that he'd try to make combat fit some ruleset, but he did say that his initial notes on character power went down on D&D character sheets.

So you can still dislike the explanation, but at least it isn't to fit an RPG.

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

TenaciousJ posted:

The difference between the Michael of Skin Game and the Michael of Grave Peril is staggering. He's about as edgy as a butter knife. His lines read like what someone who has never met a Christian would think a dedicated Christian says.

That's really interesting. I never felt that way, and I grew up in the sort of church that would probably have supported a Knight of the Cross if only magic were real. So did Butcher, for that matter. In my mind, Michael has had a really believable transition. Can you post an example of something that's so cheesy you can't believe it?

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

TenaciousJ posted:

The cell phone also represents a convenience that might appeal to Molly even though she's on a path to losing her humanity

Something I found really amusing is that apparently Butcher wrote the magic-fucks-with-tech rules explicitly to disallow cell phones. He says they ruin everything, there's no tension if you see something going terribly wrong and you can just call someone better-equipped / smarter to come deal with it.

Now that I think about it, cell phones would have ruined pretty much every one of the early books, because those have so many crises which are fundamentally about failures of communication. So my guess is that that's written as a significant moment not because it's much of one for Harry or Molly, but because it's significant for the plot of later novels, and we need to remember it.

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Ika posted:

Might pick up the first one next time I'm in town, has anyone else read them?

Imagine if, instead of being powerful but stupid, Dresden was weak but really really smart.

Yeah, they're good, read them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Reveilled posted:

It does kind of do that (depending on what you mean by "stuff like that"), just in different ways. The Apocalypse Codex literally has 60s newspaper cartoon spy Modesty Blaise (albeit renamed) as the secondary protagonist. The narrative geas of the Jennifer Morgue felt much more Terry Pratchett than Ian Fleming to me personally though, and later books do not descend into wackiness in the same way, so if it was specifically the James Bond thing you didn't like, as opposed to the idea of the story being a pastiche, you might like the later books more. All the books keep their pretty cringey 90s style Bastard Operator From Hell humor as a common element.

I haven't read the Rhesus Chart and The Jennifer Morgue was what sold me on the series after feeling The Atrocity Archive was kind of meh, though, so I couldn't give more advice than that.

My favourite Charles Stross novel was definitely Halting State. I remember thinking back when I read it that the bemused but determined police officer protagonist scratched the itch I had for something like a Murray short story in the Dresdenverse (that said the similarities basically end at "Muggle, lady, cop, spunky", so I don't want to oversell that aspect). The story revolves around cybercrime, and because it has MMORPG and VR alternative reality games as themes the book uses Second-Person Narration like the narrator is your Dungeon Master, which takes a bit of getting used to, but I really enjoyed the story and the near-future Edinburgh setting.

Halting State is by far my favorite Stross book, too. Do we have a Stross thread around here? It's nothing at all like the Dresden Files so there's not a ton to say in this thread, but it's amazing and I want to talk about it.