Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

So like I said, not my fault. Nobody can judge me for it.
But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.
Human teenager Rainbow Dash was hot!

Daveski posted:

I read the first three Dresden novels a while ago and didn't like them enough to continue - however, it sounds like the series gets much better from there, and I'm looking for some light summer reading, so I think I'll give these books another shot. Seems like Grave Peril is pretty important in setting up some major story arcs, but I don't remember it too well... is it worth re-reading this one? Or should I just skip to that party scene at the end and refresh my memory there?

If you have read it then I'd say skim it and head onto Summer Knight. It really starts picking up right around there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.

Sir Rabia Tirnova posted:

Presumably because he had written it a century prior and didn't have idetic memory?

Yeah, but Angry Lobster was saying that Cowl could have just gotten a copy from Peabody. He compiled the book so presumably he would have a copy of the book.

Edit: God dammit I really need to change my profile picture It creeps me out everytime I see it.

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.

Nihilarian posted:

Who'd you piss off to get it in the first place?

Pretty sure it was ConfusedUs. I joked about wishing I had given him his retarded Dresden/Pony crossover fanfiction picture and like a day later there I was with one of my own.

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.

ConfusedUs posted:

Nope. Someone gave me one too

drat oh well. Yours is way less creepy at least.

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.
I had mine delivered to work because I knew it would be delivered while I was there and now I'm wishing I'd taken my chances and had it delivered to my house so I could actually read it now instead of tomorrow. gently caress this waiting I'm about to break into Barnes and Noble to steal a copy.

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.

FordPRefectLL posted:

So do they just favor humans because they're easier to convince to do it, then?

That's my understanding.

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.

Wade Wilson posted:

I just had a thought. I hope Sanya is okay after that glimpse we got of him fighting Denarians at an exploded nuclear reactor in Iran :ohdear:

I think it's safe to assume that he beat their poo poo in. He was fighting the B team and they didn't have their leader so I doubt that it was more than he could handle

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.
That gif pretty much sums up every Dresden Files book written. What is it from?

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.

Illuyankas posted:

Is that a soulpatch-a-like goatee? Ewwwwwwwwwwww

I think it's shadow.... Maybe.

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.

Daric posted:

I read the latest Iron Druid book.

I really enjoyed it. Am I in the minority on this?

Not... really. The books can be fun and exciting and the premise is really cool. The problem tends to be that Aticus is a tool and Obyron (I can't remember the spelling) can be aggravating after a while. There was a really weird and bad time skip in there too, which brought the books as a whole down.

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.

Blasphemeral posted:

I hope that this isn't true-- and I doubt it is, given his track-record with Alera. He seems to write faster when he has more than one project. He was putting out about two books per year back then, if I'm not mistaken.

That was when Jim had an easier time writing The Dresden Files though. He now has to keep track of a lot more to write Dresden, on top of all of the other projects/conventions that he now attends.

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.

KellHound posted:

Hey so I'm like half way through my character sketches for Summer Knight. I thought I'd throw up a link. Toot toot is the newest one so he's at the top. Maeve is tomorrow. http://www.sorcery101.net/tag/summer-knight/

Those are fantastic. Can't wait to see Maeve.

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.

Azuth0667 posted:

How many are left; we are on 15/20 and there's going to be a trilogy for the end meaning 23 books or is that trilogy going to start at book 17?

I'm pretty sure it's 23 total.

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.

electricsugar posted:

The last book in the series I read was Grave Peril.

Honestly, I hated it. To me it came across as extremely misogynistic and creepy in its depiction of women (even more so than the previous 2 books, if that was even possible) and to me the ending felt very rushed and sloppily executed.

It unfortunately really soured me on the series, even though I have 3 more waiting on my kindle, I'm not sure how much I want to read on. Did anyone else feel the same way?

Grave peril is the book that puts nearly every piece in place for a good portion of the series. The misogyny is more a Dresden character thing than a Jim Butcher thing but it does reach pinnacle awkwardness in book 6. I'd say stick with it for another book. If you don't like Summer Knight then the series probably isn't for you. As for Grave Peril being off putting, Butcher becomes a better writer as time goes on and a good portion of the white knight syndrome that Harry has starts to dissappear around book 8-9. The opening doors for Murphy stops pretty quickly too.

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.

Oroborus posted:

16 more years until it's over :negative:

Shut your whore mouth. I don't want to be almost 40 when the final Dresden book comes out.

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.

bowmore posted:

Just finished Ghost Story, I enjoyed the change of place and was legitimately surprised by who killed him. I figured out who the non-spirit who talks in caps was really early so I could join some dots together.

You were surprised by that? I thought that was the least surprising thing. Unless you're referring to who set it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.

Daric posted:

And there's a lot of books where you just get more from having the author read it. I listened to Modern Romance by Aziz Ansari, Paddle Your Own Canoe by Nick Offerman, and Yes, Please by Amy Poehler and you just get so much more from it by hearing their voices. Also, sometimes they deviate from what the actual book says and tell other stories.

That's pretty awesome actually. I might have to check some of those out.