Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

ImpAtom posted:

The feeling I get from it is basically a quiet retcon of its abilities to justify Dresden giving it up without significant power loss in the near future. It really doesn't mesh with everything that was described up until now.

Like, the other Winter Knights have been spoken of as giant terrifying badasses and I don't buy that just being because they didn't have limits, especially since a lot of them were not magicians and thus wouldn't have Harry's super-healing powers and thus should probably be an nonfunctioning wreck within a few weeks, not a few years.

I thought a big part of it was that Winter Knights got access to Sidhe magic. Instant, pretty powerful mojo. It's less of a power boost for Dresden because he can already use magic really well, so it just sort of flavors what he already has.

I'm also a little disappointed that we didn't get to see more of depowered Uriel and what the whole deal with that was, but it's probably some set-up for future books. I was expecting it to end with Uriel dying and Michael becoming the new Uriel, but I guess that might have been a bit of a rehash after last book.

Oh, yeah, and I apparently got the Kindle version of Skin Games for free? I bought it this morning and the receipt looks like this:

Anyone have any idea what that's about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.
I do think Butcher way overdoes it with the goony pseudo-chivalric stuff. It made some sense at the start of the series; Dresden was a twenty-something manchild who had a really hosed up childhood and who had never had a romantic relationship end well. Now, though, he's in his forties. He's had a whole lot of responsibility thrown at him over time and he's had to mature a lot. So the m'lady stuff just feels out of place. He's had to be a teacher, a father, and a leader; it really feels like he should have just grown the hell up about all of his weird womanfolk attitudes at some point.