Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

Michael Pineda just couldn't stay healthy...

SystemLogoff posted:

I'll go first then, spoiler's for something that happens to change Harry's character.

In Chapter 14: Harry has sex with someone important to him.. It made me laugh.

Edit: Made it less obvious. I don't want to ruin anyone's experiences.

Edit2: Crap, sorry Imp. :(

The "It was all a dream" reveal on the sex scene was interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

Chapter 20: That conversation between Harry and Michael was so loving good.

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

SystemLogoff posted:

I know, and Harry needed that talk badly. Also, yay Mouse :3:

Chapter 20: Mouse is the loving best.

Chapter 22: Holy gently caress they ARE stealing the loving Grail!

Chapter 23: m;weoikf'lnmwg'eritgkm[w'epgkmtph;onm HOLY gently caress WHAT

Screen Door Slams fucked around with this message at 03:58 on May 27, 2014

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

Chapter 29: HOLY gently caress FIDELACCHIUS

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

For y'all's sakes, I hope this isn't the Kindle time too.

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

Chapter 30: MICHAEL CARPENTER IS loving BACK, BABY! YESSSSSSSSSSSSS!

Chapter 31: I take back my exultation holy poo poo the stakes just skyrocketed

Chapter 32: Freakin' book, making me cry.

Screen Door Slams fucked around with this message at 05:26 on May 27, 2014

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

Fried Chicken posted:

Man, Nick would be the kind of rear end in a top hat to have his evil entourage meetings professionally catered, wouldn't he?

I always Imagine Jon Hamm as him.

That is some impeccable mental casting right there.

Chapter 35: gently caress, Ferrovax banks with Marcone? Goddamn.

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

Chapter 41: I will never stop laughing at the fact that Hades named his dog Spot

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

End of book spoiler: BUTTERS IS A loving KNIGHT OF THE CROSS AND HE HAS A LIGHTSABER THIS IS THE BEST GODDAMNED THING

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

AfricanBurrito posted:

I'm pretty sure that it is actually Medea's Bodkin, or the knife that Harry used on Lloyd Slate to become the Winter Knight. Check out it's description here. http://dresdenfiles.wikia.com/wiki/Medea%E2%80%99s_Bodkin

I think you might be right, but I'm not sure. In both Changes and Cold Days, it's described as being bronze, but Skin Game says it's brass:

Skin Game: "A knife with a wooden handle and a leaf-shaped blade." "And the brass hilt of the knife clicked against the aluminum splint still on my left arm."

Other than the brass/bronze thing, the descriptions match... But there's part of me that thinks if it was Medea's Bodkin, Dresden would recognize it. And brass is much brighter and more golden-looking than bronze, so it'd be pretty hard to confuse them... Ah, hell. I don't know.

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

AfricanBurrito posted:

I thought that he did recognize it, since as soon as he saw it, he knew what Nicodemus really wanted. But I guess we'll see

Maybe, maybe... But, I mean, if it was Medea's Bodkin it wouldn't have anything to do with Christ, and everything else on the table was a relic of Christ. Given how the vault was described as being obsessively-organized, I don't think there'd be a display table that wasn't completely relics of Christ. Maybe it's the tip of the Spear of Destiny...

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

I just got the joke in Hannah being good with fire. Her last name is Ascher and she turns things to ashes! :haw:

MOD EDIT: added spoiler tags

Somebody fucked around with this message at 12:43 on May 28, 2014

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

Fried Chicken posted:

Can someone explain "Howard Delroy Oberheit"? I don't get the joke.

I don't either. All I can think is that the HD is still his initials, and the joke lies in Oberheit. I have no idea what the joke is, though.

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

Fried Chicken posted:

Oberheit = "Over Height" = "he tall" maybe?

Sounds reasonable. Not as good as the joke in Hannah's name, but it makes sense.

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

I just caught that Butcher has Harry say "TV rarely does the original stories justice." :laugh:

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

Kellanved posted:

I honestly think that Butcher started messing up his worldbuilding after ghost story. Being winter knight has always been presented as a Big Deal, Mab's hand in the mortal realm, etc etc. And he went on to describe the Mantle as simply erasing natural limitations plus some affinity in Ice spells? ? That's pretty weak and retconed from what we knew about it. But this is a minor point.

Except that that was just Butters and Murph speculating. Yeah, it was speculation that made sense to Harry, but there's no way of actually knowing if it was correct speculation.

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

Update: One week since I first read Skin Game, and I still can't stop giggling at "Who's a good dog? Spot is. Yes, he is."

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

AlphaDog posted:

As far as Grey goes: In this book, Harry assumes that the bigfoot guy will have the same personality and attitudes as another one he's already met. It's possible that Naagloshii have free will and that Grey is, if not a good one, then a less evil one. Some supernatural things aren't as bound by their natures as (say) Faeries. Bigfoots (bigfeet?), White Court vamps, and werewolves all seem get to make choices.

Well, the mythology of the naagloshii, if I'm properly remembering Turn Coat, is that they started off as messengers of Native American gods who decided to stay on Earth even after the gods told them to leave, which twisted them. The basis of their whole background is making a free choice, so...

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

Illuyankas posted:

I was trying to remember who I pictured in my head for Mac after a friend asked a question about him (the answer was 'he's out' ) and it finally struck me, Mac is Mills Lane.

jivjov posted:

My mental casting for Mac has lately been a super-stoic Maximiliano Hernández

Fried Chicken posted:

I go with Jonathan Banks for Mac

WastedJoker posted:

It's clearly Raymond J Barry as Mac.

Bruce Willis.

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Going through my re-read.

We still don't have confirmation of who was behind the Hexenwolf belts in Fool Moon, correct? Apart from a general indication that it may have been Lord Raith, since 1) Raith was probably behind the events of Storm Front, 2) the Hexenwolves were told Harry was dangerous (thus aiming them at him somewhat indirectly), 3) the White Court operates indirectly, and 4) there seems to have been a Nemesis connection?

Wait, where're you getting the Raith-Storm Front connection? I never picked up on that.

whurps accidental mod edit sorry!

Somebody fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jun 9, 2014

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

It's subtly hinted in a few different ways. The biggest hint is that Victor Sell's previous employer was "SilverCo". Plus it fits the same MO as in Blood Rites, Sells uses lust to power his magic, the first two targets are direct competitors, etc.

Huh, interesting. I never picked up on that.

Every other aspect of the series gets significantly better!

Real answer: he gets slightly better about it but this is probably the area where he's shown the least improvement overall.

I just finished reading Codex Alera (pretty damned good, but not as good as Dresden) and it, along with the Dresdenverse short stories that aren't narrated by Harry, really convinced me that the thing with women is an intentional character choice for Harry, and not a fault of Butcher's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

ConfusedUs posted:

Full Metal Za Guard

This is my needle. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My needle is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my needle is useless. Without my needle, I am useless. I must stab my needle true. I must stab harder than my enemy, who is trying to kill me. I must stab him before he stabs me. I will. Before the Za-Lord I swear this creed: my needle and myself are defenders of my court, we are the masters of our enemy, we are the saviors of my life. So be it, until there is no enemy, but peace. Amen.

Toot already did this in Small Favor: "This is my box-knife. There are many who like it, but this one is mine."