Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

tokenbrownguy posted:

i'm on a quest to read every decent cozy fantasy / scifi story ever.

need to actually compile a spreadsheet so I don't have to rebuild a list every time this comes up.

didn't realize there was a new Legends & Lattes coming out, that's great news.

Tracking books is what Goodreads is for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

I'm not engaging with the social aspect of Goodreads. If I want bad takes on books I'd go to reddit. or this thread

I don't need anything but the database for catalog purposes.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

I'll give that a try, thanks.

It's all gonna roll up to the same corporate overlord anyway, but if it's got less of a social media tilt I'll probably dig it.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Soonmot posted:

I'm ace and the hornt levels in Incryptid were well within tolerance ranges for me. The hornt levels in October Daye are just outside though. Fred the Vampire Account has a tiny bit of eyeroll in the first book, but is very wholesome for the entire rest of the series.

They hold hands! And have chaste kisses!

Scandalous.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

To be fair, that first book is a very strange thing.

I haven't done any research but I feel like he was writing a bunch of short stories without any real forethought or planning and was being a bit tongue in cheek. But the absolute lack of horny in that series is great. It's one of the things you don't notice until you find yourself no longer worrying if new girl is when it turns into a harem anime.

The series is absolutely a harem anime though. Just the most wholesome kind where it's about family rather than tiddies.

Dominic Toretto would approve of Fred.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Wait what's cringe with Fred?

He's a pure nerd.

Though I'm an accountant irl so maybe I'm just not seeing the problem.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Depends on whether you're looking at physical or personality traits.

Either way it's goose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

I don't think you're missing anything. I've been a fan since the third book and I genuinely like Fool Moon and Peace Talks was very disjointed and weird and Battlegrounds felt like he was trying to do an Avengers style thing but also the rules are gone for reasons so everyone is just blasting with all their power all the time.

I'm not normally one of those people who looks up authors because I want to support death of the author and try to divorce the work from the writer even knowing that it's not possible. Like some authors make it impossible to not dislike them. Terry goodkind is the prime example of the books informing you of the author pretty well.

But the weird turn Dresden has taken really makes me wonder if Butcher has 1: really taken a dislike to women and 2: really taken an interest in young women. Because it seems like he's using Harry to work through some stuff.

I really want to know where Lash is coming back. Unless Bonea is the result of that tease he made years ago. Which would be... Whatever I guess.

I haven't read anything else but the first Codex Alera and I finished it and felt it was a big nothing burger.

It's a real shame because nothing has ever quite hit the same vibes as the first few books. I tried Alex Versus and hate read the entire thing. I don't know why I kept at it but God drat did every part of that series just continually annoy me.

I know there are a couple other series people recommend but I've heard one turn into erotica at some point and the others I've only heard mentioned once or twice so I haven't bothered.

At one point I tried the Monster Hunter International books and boy oh boy did the protagonist of that first book make Dresden look saint like.