Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

That's not as bad as the narrator for the October Daye series who, eleven loving books into the series, still hasn't learned how to pronounce "geas" correctly.

I tried to read the first Daye book because the InCryptid stuff is fun, but it seemed like mostly the main character gets knocked around a lot and then falls backward onto the solution with her very convenient plot power. Does that get better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Exmond posted:

Hmm, the first book is the roughest in the October Daye series, the writing improves. As for "convenient plot power" it does improve, and then gets worse as they explain what exactly her power is. Her powers start to play a bit more in the series but gives her some drawbacks as well. They don't magically solve problems in the climax, (like the Kate Daniels series) but they do get mentioned and used.

Also I think by.. book 9 or something, she gets in a relationship, and that's as serious as it gets with "falls into bed with an assortment of magical boifus". October Daye isn't paranormal romance.

That kinda sells me on it right there. Not the least of why is because Amazon keeps spitting these recommendations for dreadful harem romance urban fantasy books at me.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

It gets better as the books go on and the weirdness factor escalates greatly (as does October's power level), but it's never what I'd call amazing, and the mystery element is always the weakest part. On the other hand, it never gets as goony and embarrassingly trashy as a lot of urban fantasy either, and the expanding circle of supporting characters are mostly pretty awesome and inventive. There's a karaoke night in one of the books with sea witches and bridge trolls that's honestly pretty great.

I like the series fine. It's nice to read urban fantasy that isn't written by a man but also isn't all about that hot werewolf dick.

That sounds nice. I do read the writer's InCryptid stuff, and that's never really A Thing there either. Her first two main leads settle down with a significant other pretty quick and the third is more interested in being on the run and not caught by a powerful monster hunting group, although she does have the odd hookup.

However, never in them did I read about a woman getting all hot and bothered because her werelion lover shared a Quarter Pounder With Cheese with her, because that is a sign of lion love. (The woman herself is a werecheetah, and cheetahs hunt their own stuff regardless of gender but whatever.) So that's nice.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Robot Wendigo posted:

The series or the first novel?

I've only finished the first novel but I see your point. It does read like a pulp detective mystery, complete with requisite McGuffin and beatdowns. I thought it ended well, and appreciated the darker tone. Of all the urban fantasy/romance heroes I've read, I would put Daye second only to Kate Daniels as my favourite. Mercy Thompson is just too cheerful for me.

Just the first novel. I wasn't even really that unsold, but I figured if that was the pattern for the series I'd find something else to read.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Molly shows up in this collection of short stories called 'Bombshells' which is focused on female leads. I swear every other page has her playing 'WWHDD?'

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Waltzing Along posted:

Are any of the women not hot or old?

Isn't Butter's werewolf girlfriend hot? So, yeah, not that I can recall.

Vateke posted:

Molly playing "WWHDD" feels extremely in character to me, so I don't see the problem.

"The Rack" was the one thing sexistish thing in Dresden that made me cringe without it being pointed out to me, so yeah, pretty bad.

See, I more wanted to read about Molly and not about Harry being the Poochie. (One can add that you can get that in the regular series, if they feel the need.)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I dived a bit into the first book of the Junkyard Druid series. I can have a fine old laugh at 'Colin McCool' but for a series that wants really hard to be progressive, the first two women we get are A) his partner a sexpot who femmes all the fatale and B) his best friend a supposedly shy fae girl with giant hooters.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I want to like the Dresden Files, but mostly I just remember that Murphy had to shimmy around without her pants on.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

jivjov posted:

I've found it clicks home with some people when they read some of the short stories that are from a different character's POV; especially when that character talks about Harry

I might try that. The only one I read was one of Molly's, which talks about (sigh) The Rack and spends it all wondering What Would Harry Do? (Blast harder.)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Decius posted:

Wondering WWHD is super in character for Molly though?

Also boring to read about and with even dumber attempts at humor than usual.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I wonder now if there's a UF series about a Columbo type, who's both talented but pretty much a decent sort.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Hub Cat posted:

Molly kind of falls into a fantasy cliche and its sort of hmm... it could easily turn bad depending on how Aaronovitch resolves it.

There are certain perils to having two prominent characters in UF named Molly. For a second I thought people were talking about Carpenter.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Hub Cat posted:

I try to avoid talking about Molly Carpenter itt because its not worth the aggravation, but I should probably make sure to note the books I'm talking about in posts.

It's fine, I just didn't read closely enough. That's on me. I don't particularly blame you, either. I recently read the short story where she and her friends talk about 'The Rack' and... yeah.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Has anybody read Rachel Aaron's Minimum Wage Mage? It looked pretty good from the Amazon snippet. I'm also kinda tempted by her series about a dragon, even if 'Heartstrikers' is a goofy name.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Yak of Wrath posted:

You are kinda proving Khizan's point by making a strained Stalin analogy rather than giving concrete examples of Marcone's status as a serious villian. He helps Dresden and saves children in pretty much every appearance while his crime empire is made more efficient by minimising human suffering, the guy could probably pick up and wield a Sword of the Cross in the next book and I wouldn't bat an eye.

It is hard to imagine Marcone busting out somebody's business because they couldn't pay their gambling debts or beating somebody up for being late with the vig.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I'm currently on book four of the Heartstrikers series so I guess I'm enjoying it. It does sidestep a lot of my irritations with UF stuff - the leads do gain in power but in the base of the male lead it's not physical power and mostly he just blunders through things in an entertaining way by being as nice as possible in a giant family of cutthroat dragons. In like 90% of fights he's in he gets his teeth kicked in. The female protagonist is a good mage, but no world-conquerer, although she does kind of also luck into something that boosts her beyond her means.

Didn't realize they were stealth Shadowrun novels, but that's hardly a bug.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Aerdan posted:

I don't think I've ever encountered a "$setting but for/with adults" thing that was actually any good.

They do tend to cut themselves on all The Edge they're trying to show.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Is Harmony Black the one where I should skip the first novel?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ConfusedUs posted:

I can’t believe it took me this long to start InCryptid, but I’m now six books in and I love them.

They’re dumb and compelling at the same time. I can’t explain it.

Why are there so many dance sequences and why do they work?

Every Price family member is like three traits in a trench coat, but somehow I love them?

The antagonist faction is somehow implacable and incompetent at the same time, but yet I’m always worried about them?

Everyone is hot af and horny af, but somehow it’s never skeevy?

Also the mice are the absolute best thing. I have no question here. They just own.

I feel they reach peak InCryptid when you get to Alice's books but it's a good time until then.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

What's the power level progression like?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ConfusedUs posted:

Incryptid has good horny straight dudes. And not straight dudes. And not dudes.

Honestly everyone in the series is young, hot, horny, and (at least in the first half dozen books) not creepy about it at all.

Even the old people manage because of reasons to be young and hot.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Soonmot posted:

Now, the Incryptid books, those had me fast forwarding through some poo poo.

Amusingly one of the reasons I like the InCryptid stuff over other UF is the romance is so toned down comparatively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Blamestorm posted:

Honestly the world has also changed since he wrote the earlier books - don’t get me wrong, the creepy elements were creepy then and creepy now, but I think the skeeviness of stuff like the White Court, the Winter Knight rape fantasy stuff etc is all vastly more out of tune with the times than a couple of decades ago. It was much more common in sci fi and fantasy literature but discourse around toxic masculinity, sexual violence and consent has evolved and I think there is a wider expectation (rightly) it should be more sensitively handled these days. Basically I think a lot of Dresden has dated badly.

Wasn't there a time Murphy had to lose her jeans while trying to shimmy through a narrow place?