Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_cheese
Sep 11, 2002
I AM A LIAR
Over all a good but not great book. A person earlier in the thread mentioned that it felt like an earlier novel and i agree though for different reasons i think. Honestly you could have slotted this one in before changes reguarding the main plot points and i think there would have been little difference overall.

I really didn't feel any "tension" so to speak out of the main plot. When the previews of the book went up i was imagining some kind of oceans 11 style book where they had to figure out how to get past a bunch of stuff to steal a macguffin, with intrigue and back stabbing and what not. I can't really say we got any of that. I really liked the crew that got put together for the heist, but we never really got to see much of the interplay between them.

Overall it reminded me of proven guilty or grave peril the most. The main plot was ok to exciting at times, the side plots were OK, but most of the book seemed to be setting up something later. There was a few fist pumping moments, but compared to changes/cold days where poo poo was going DOWN, this book seemed sort of lackadaisical and left me wanting over all. A solid C+ or B- from the series. I think i'm also alittle bitter from the longer wait. The wait on ghost story made sense from how it was written, but this one seemed bog standard. Changes really spoiled me for this series i think. Many plot points coming home to roost, followed by ghost story about how hard it is for harry to "grow up" so to speak.
Then cold days where "payment" for some of his and others mistakes are made. This one seemed like harry had backslid in some areas while growing in others.

Spoilers below warning: I'm not gonna bother with tags cause if you are reading this you should already have the book!!

I felt cheated on several parts.

The parasite in harry made sense in how it was handled, but at the same time was stupid. Mab can just ORDER harry to do something, even if he doesn't like it. I she just wanted the extra leverage but man, ughhh, a poor manipulation from the master of manipulation. I am aware that there is always some sort of time limit in dresden books, but this one felt tacked on and arbitrary compared to some of the others.

The winter mantel seems actively detremental to it's user at least after reading this book. The amount of damage harry takes would have shut him down any other time, but they were not even mentioned after a while. I'm assumning that there is some sort of game or plan here that is making the mantle not work correctly on harry because we know that loyd slate and the summer knight had both been around for a while with their respective mantels in summer knight. The summer knight was implied to have been at his job for a while. Neither one of them was supposed to have been a wizard of anywhere NEAR harrys power level or have his recovery abilities, so I'm confused as to how they were supposed to do their job if all the mantel does is make you perform at 100% of your peak, and ignore pain.

Lastly I am upset we did not get more face time with the "crew" so to speak. Part of any good heist movie/book is getting to know the characters and watching them bounce off each other and figure out problems. The crew as put together was interesting, binder has an interesting power set and is over all sort of goofy similar to a more slimy harry. Grey and hannna were not really given enough time to make me like or dislike them, only wish we got to see/hear more. Hades also has me somewhat intruiged. A new character like vadderung? Who can tell. This book is going to live and die on what the other ones take from it.

MOD EDIT: Use spoiler tags folks. Thanks. Not everyone speed-read the book already.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 20:41 on May 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_cheese
Sep 11, 2002
I AM A LIAR
I just finished the first landry files book. Maybe I'm just jaded but it was awful. The main character felt like a mary sue type person, who never really had to work to achieve anything. The heroine just is magically attracted to him, and he just happens to always make the right decisions. Everyone else is stupid and only he can figure out what to do to win. I really like the math can be a weapon idea, but the rest of it was just nails on a chalkboard. What am i missing that so many people liked about this series?