Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Logan 5 posted:

Skimming through Dead Beat now. Noticed that when Harry's in Bock's book shop and "Shiela" helps him find the Die Lied der Erlking he notes that the book had been compiled out of old wizard writings by the "Wizard Peabody early last century".

Foreshadowing :allears:

In Turn Coat Harry even makes fun of Peabody for his lovely German in his book. It's before he reveals himself as a bad guy so it was much more entertaining to read the second time through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

ConfusedUs posted:

Did anyone notice that this book broke the Vampire pattern? It's the first to break any of the patterns, really. But as the first multiple-of-three book since Harry killed the Red Court, it makes sense. I really expected Mavra or the Whites to show up, at least in passing, but I'm glad they didn't.

Haha yeah. I wonder if there's any extra pattern to which Court shows up in what book? Because if this book was supposed to be Red, welp. If it was I guess we technically got it since Ascher was pals with the Fellowship of St. Giles.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

SpookyLizard posted:

Re: michael in Skin games

I was also disappointed with how the Angel Grace turned out. I was expecting Uriel or Michael to die, and if it was the former, for Michael to become an Archangel or some poo poo. That'd be pretty rad, actually.

Would've liked some Uriel The Nanny moments too.

Yeah, I've got to believe that angels being able to give up their grace becomes a major plot point in a later book, otherwise that was seriously dumb. The only consequence of something that insane is Uriel gets a bloody nose? No way.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I liked The Rook, and upon reflection there are several "my first novel" issues with it. The worst one to me (kind of general spoilers for the whole book I guess) was that apparently Myfanwy's eye for character quality is right on the dot and anyone she ended up "liking immediately" turned out to be entirely trustworthy. Also, I half-wished her assistant turned out to be evil or at least not quite so utterly dedicated to Myfanwy. Only half because she ended up playing off of Myfanwy in a really fun way, but she doesn't quite seem to be her own real person.

The overall mystery was a little too obvious to me as well. I tend to be very dumb at figuring out mysteries but I spent a good third or more of the book kind of yelling at Myfanwy for not seeing this one. (ending/bad guy spoilers) Like the second old Myfanwy mentioned that she'd always been too scared to change a single thing about her domicile it was obvious to me that it was bugged to high heaven and whatsisface who had it last was absolutely involved in all the bad stuff.

That said, it was a fun read, the dialogue was amusing, and some of the twists weren't quite so obvious and added some cool flavor to the book. The situations the characters end up in are pretty creative and the way that the main character and her former self are two completely separate people that feel real is very well done. I think it is WAY better than Storm Front and Fool Moon and probably on the same level as the third Dresden book. Like the third DF book, it lays down a lot of threads that have the potential to be very interesting in future books.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I feel like Marcone is another thing that is intentional but still comes off poorly, like Dresden being a perv. He hates Marcone because Marcone is almost like this temptation, he does lovely things but he's not really THAT evil. But Harry is terrified of going off the deep end and being a bad guy, so he looks at and treats Marcone like he's a horrible monster. Also, Karrin hates him for similar reasons, plus they're natural enemies, and Harry's wanted to gently caress her basically forever so of course he would adopt her attitude towards people like Marcone.