Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
When did it unlock for previous Dresden books?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

In retrospect, I guess I should've learned about this kind of thing back when I worked on the backend team at Amazon in charge of eBook fulfillment.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

quote:

Second is I'm reading Butcher from my perspective as an aspiring writer and current Thunderdomer, in that Butcher is an example of how not to write supernatural mystery.
Uh oh, Butcher got the Benny the Snake writing stamp of disapproval! I'm sure he's very sad in his vault of gold coins.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

You're not wrong that Aaronavich is a better writer but Peter is absolutely not a mature adult. He's not quite as manchild as Dresden but he's pretty manchild. He makes multiple pop culture references including to children's television shows that (by his age) he probably shouldn't be familiar with and is often less mature than other people his own age.
:goonsay:

Because the sign of a mature adult is hating cartoons, not stuff like living independently, or having integrity, or standing up for your friends. What's that CS Lewis quote again?

quote:

Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow.

But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

Uh? Did you decide to jump on me for some particular reason or did you just completely ignore the person I was responding to and the context of the conversation?
I guess I could throw in his quote too, but it seemed like you agreed with his premise of what constitutes a mature adult. I mean I agree that Dresden definitely matures over the course of the series, I just think the whole "well this character knows about [pop culture thing], ugh, what a manchild" thing is stupid.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Dienes posted:

Reminds me a lot of the Magic or Madness urban fantasy trilogy by Justine Larbalestier. If you are born with magic, you either use it regularly and die by the time you're in your 30s, or you refrain from using it and go batshit insane.
Also a similar idea in Brent Weeks' Lightbringer series.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Aside from starring teenage protagonists, the series really does not feel young adult at all. What's the difference between YA fantasy and non-YA fantasy again?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

ConfusedUs posted:

We do have a Sanderson thread, you know.
Maybe it's because I already knew the characters and was therefore more invested in them, but I enjoyed Shadows of Self more than the Aeronaut's Windlass. Wayne owns. I felt like I had a harder time caring about the main characters in Windlass. Maybe as Butcher reveals more of the metaplot that'll change.

(Getting a sequel to SoS in a few months rather than having to wait a year+ is also a nice bonus)

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Since when does Harry have a half sister?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Daric posted:

I mean, it's pretty obvious that the thread will react poorly. The whole forum reacts poorly to almost anything that comes out. That's the nature of fandom these days. There's some outliers, like almost everyone in this thread loves the Rivers of London series but I can't see how this thread, which has spent 300+ talking about how much the author sucks, would all of a sudden be like "this book is great!"
Maybe that's the nature of goon fandom. I think you can find positive fandoms plenty of other places.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

tentacles posted:

Thinking along those lines, has any urban fantasy been adapted into animation? I don't want Harry Potter to count (and not sure if there's any adaptations there even if it did)
Not 'adapted', but the first season of Legend of Korra was very much urban fantasy, I can't remember how urban the later seasons were though.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

biracial bear for uncut posted:

I'm sorry, someone posting about they'd love to read about Dresden drooling over underage boobs again (and of his own daughter, like the President) just pissed me right the gently caress off.
Ah yes, because that poster definitely wasn't speculating about which parts were likely to be bad/problematic, they were absolutely talking about which parts they were looking forward to read.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Proteus Jones posted:

It always ends the same way: a meltdown and a probe.
They've been probed more than a dozen times this year alone but they're still short probes.

I understand <= 1 day probes for small things like this initially, but if someone just keeps at it over and over kinda seems like the probe duration should escalate until they either get the point and change their behavior, or are just probed for so long they can't be instigating slapfights very much anymore.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

RockyB posted:

Started the re-read at Grave Peril to avoid the worst excesses of the first two books.

Time to first 'young, firm breasts' was page 28.
Reminds me of Straight Holt

Cicero fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Jul 4, 2020

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

I always got the impression Marcone was supposed to be sort of like an idealized version of the Yakuza, where the crimes he engages in are sort of...'cleaner'/more respectable than one would normally expect of a criminal leader. Like he does prostitution presumably without human trafficking, dealing drugs (but never to kids), loan sharks, that kind of thing that usually doesn't intrude into the lives of ordinary people. But though his criminal organization may be less obviously lovely than a 'typical' gang, it's still definitely not a force for good here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

My biggest problem with the kindle is that it's a million times more of a pain in the rear end to sort through than a bookshelf. I have no idea what I own.
I used to work on the Kindle android app, and at one of the internal hack days, an engineer made a virtual bookshelf prototype where it made up vertical 'spines' using the dominant color of the cover art, plus some title text. It was loving dope for like two days of work, much easier to see your whole library at a glance, I hate that it never became a real thing.