Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Taran_Wanderer posted:

You lucky dog. I don't even know where I'm going to pick up my copy on the 27th. Curse all my local bookstores going out of business.

Probably just going to by the ebook version, my Nook has revolutionized my reading habits and I no longer have half a ton of books taking up space.

I also really wish it was the 27th, London Falling is pretty decent so far but I want more Dresden, damnit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Just finished up my reread of Cold Days, and I gotta ask, anyone notice that Harry is now dropping F-bombs like crazy now that he's the winter knight?

I chalked that up as a manifestaion of the mantle on him. Sort of like all the sneaky rapey fantasies.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

docbeard posted:

We also know almost nothing about Malcolm Dresden other than "stage magician" and "good people" and "probably murdered". (My gut tells me that his spirit is working for Uriel these days, but that's just speculation.)

This is from a few pages back, but I haven't seen anyone respond to it yet.

Either I am misremembering things pretty badly or at one point in Ghost Story there's a ghost desk cop (at the point where Uriel is telling Harry he could give up and not go back to his body and instead sign on as a ghost spook) which I vaguely remember as being implied that this was Harry's dad.

Not sure if that's something I should be spoilering, but whatever, just in case.

Maybe I should go back and read Ghost Story again.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

So I finally got around to trying that Iron Druid series that gets brought up in here every once in a while, and it... wasn't that bad? The dialogue was definitely a bit off, almost stilted, in this kind of 'yeah I'm a cool badass but I'm downplaying it' manner but I'm hoping it's similar to Butcher's first couple of books and just a kind of rocky start.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

ConfusedUs posted:

They never get better.

There's promise, but the author ignores it in favor of the stupid crap.

I think something in my brain is broken, because I am on the second book and I can see how the author tries way too hard to fit in all the pop culture stuff, but I still chuckled at Atticus prepping a vampire on how to be cool while they're storming a witches coven via tossing the head of a basalt elemental through the floor/ceiling. Or his response to getting his newly-regenerated ear shot off again. Spoiled that in case anyone else is so hard-up for urban fantasy they might read this drek.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

OptimusWang posted:

Was that the book he skipped forward 10 years just to avoid the sidekick's training without so much as a montage?

Has to be the fifth, I just finished the fourth and it was the one about Coyote and the skinwalkers.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Poopy Palpy posted:

In the TV show he used a drumstick for a wand and it was... kind of the dumbest looking thing ever? You just can't look like anything but a massive tool while waving a wand around. I kind of liked the hockey stick staff, though.

I believe at some point he mentions that Elaine's foci seem a lot more practical than his.

It's also a pretty recurring thing in the books that he gets all his toys taken away constantly. IIRC by Skin Game all he has is his (third?) staff and the pendant as far as 'poo poo to help me do magic' goes.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

ZorajitZorajit posted:

And did Harry forget his black duster or just feel like wearing a brown one for this?

I haven't read any of these comics(?) but in the books his duster has always been brown hasn't it?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Mab is pretty much the incarnation of control. She has her poo poo on lockdown precisely because when we see her control slip, what's underneath is loving FERAL.

Maeve was different in that she couldn't control it. Or maybe didn't want to, or was made to not want to (:tinfoil:).

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

oxsnard posted:

Just finished Dead Beat. Loved it. Excited I'm only halfway through the series so far. I know there's one season of a TV show. Is it worth watching? Does anyone here think it'll be redone as a new TV series ever?

I liked the show, but I watched it before reading the books. While some things would hold up I think (Paul Blackthorne made for a good Harry, and TV Bob is amazing) others I think would be kind of jarring after reading the books (the actresses for Murphy and Susan seem swapped, the guy playing Morgan does a good job but the character is like a black Morgan/Michael mashup) and others just kind of come out of nowhere (the episode dealing with Justin DuMorne comes to mind).

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

The tv show's bracelet was better IMO. :colbert:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

That's demonstrably false though. SI has been handling supernatural threats for some time. It's their entire reason for existing. They have trouble with super-high level major dangers but even in that case it is literally their job to do whatever they can to handle it.

The entire book is explicitly the result of Harry's problems and lack of trust and later books even have him admit as much. Him actually trusting people is better for everyone involved and is why we have stuff like the Paranet plotline which emphasizes that even people who are not heavy hitters are more useful when they are informed and connected.

I don't recall SI actually HANDLING much stuff. It was just a catch-all department to toss all the 'weird stuff' to, and then they got to muddle around and try to figure it all out.

They are clearly in over their heads as the thing with the other thing and Murphy's partner dying and her never getting another one hey what's up with that

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

I guess I should go back and re-read the earlier books, then. I blame the fact that she's almost never on official police business when she gets wrapped up in whatever the current book's thing is for why I totally forgot about those guys :v:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Exmond posted:

Whats everyone's favorite reference in the Dresden files? Im surprised there hasn't been any "Murphy's Law" references given Murphy being a huge character.

Probably not what you meant, but my one friend who really likes Murphy to this day will say 'time to put the boots on' in any situation where someone else would say that 'poo poo is getting real' :clint:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

drat, it feels like I read Veiled just a couple months ago and now there's another Verus book I need to go out and get...

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

A. Beaverhausen posted:

About that, *late Skin Games spoilers* I really hated how Lasch was demoted to just a villian. With how we last saw her before Skin Games we had a Denarian that actually did something really cool. I understand it was because she was in Harry's head for so long, I just wish Jim had done something else with her.

Dunno why I'm spoilering thing, do people really get this far in the thread before reading to that point?

That wasn't Lash though. That was a shadow of Lasciel that was living in and constantly being molded by Harry's mind. By the time Lash 'died' she was an entirely different character from Lasciel.

e: Beaten like Harry in the last third of the book. :saddowns:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

I just literally did a double-take since I'm reading NerdyMcNerdNerd's posts in the retail thread, see that the Dresden Files thread has a new post, then think I'm still reading the retail hell one.

I'm still 40 pages behind in the other one, but I hope you got the hell out of that job, NerdyMcNerdNerd.

And yeah, Harry's got a bit of power creep going, but it's kind of a side effect of the series shifting from a down on his luck PI who happens to be a wizard and into something that's a lot closer to epic fantasy, but in Chicago.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

I the later books she gets pretty drat powerful on her own merits (she starts mastering her undead-vampire-blood powers, making blood armor and junk, and at one point magically pulls all the blood out of someone to remove a lycanthropy infection, then puts all the blood back).

While I agree that the whole pack and romance thing got a little grating, Daniels always give a good accounting of herself (and while she usually can't handle things solo, that's because she's usually fighting things way the gently caress over her level, even worse than the stuff Dresden faces for the most part).

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

Just started The Bloody Red Baron and Newman has put in two obscure references which I nonetheless got and am very entertained by: Captain Spenser who hammers nails into his head, and the stretcher-bearer Godfrey whose credited as being as brave as any man injured in combat.

This reminded me of Stilleto and the blink-and-you'd-miss it 'reveal' that "The Island of Dr. Moreau" was actually a rogue Grafter operation. I actually did a double-take at that one.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Wade Wilson posted:

The libriomancer series so far is on the edge of addressing that very question.

I want to say he third book brought it up in the text. I'm fairly sure I remember what's her name saying that she wanted to try projecting her e-reader onto a theater screen so she could pull out a spaceship to go to/colonize Mars with.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

The Libriomancer books also get points (well, IMO anyway) for referencing other books. D&D manuals get mentioned, and at one point a super-speed potion is pulled out of a Heinlein book, complete with psuedo-science about how the drinker has to be careful to not scour their skin off from air friction. Also the healing potion from Narnia gets used a lot.

The only real stumble the books make is the dryad side character, but the second and third books correct a lot of the 'literally there to be a sex object' stuff about her. And you get really interesting plot points like vampires stockpiling blood banks in satellites or the Merlin and everything about those automatons :stonk:

e: And let's not forget that in the Libriomancer universe vampires really can sparkle - because some idiot put their hand in a Twilight book and got bitten :lol:

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Sep 12, 2016

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Ornamented Death posted:

Aren't there multiple types of vampires in that world to account for all the different sorts in fiction?

Yeah, I just thought the Twilight thing was funny in context.

It's a really good series and it does 'power creep' well (the main character at the end of the third book is very notably more 'powerful' than in the first, but he really pays for it (off the top of my head he charred his eyeballs and now can't see normally for poo poo, the last half of the third book he's basically navigating by magesight or whatever).

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Also by the end of the third book she may still be a sex dryad but she's a sex dryad who can cover herself in bark armor and sprout wood spikes all over and wreck your rear end if you make a pass at her.

So I guess I'm agreeing, she definitely isn't the cliche she is first presented as, it's just that the first book (as mentioned above) is a little too subtle in the deconstruction.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I can not think of a single urban fantasy or fantasy book where I wasn't left cringing and desperately wishing that the author hadn't gone down that particular path.

You have to go pretty far back. LeGuin's Earthsea books are pretty good about it, IIRC.

I should read those again, actually.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

JohnnyCanuck posted:

What was the series with the elementalists and their genies?

Because that one got hit hard by Bad Romance.

Codex Alera?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

The blurred lines between Urban Fantasy and Paranormal Romance probably cause more of this than anything else.

Reminds me of the time I was in a book store and grabbed this one because the latest Dresden book was still not out.

Yeah, Gena Showalter doesn't write Urban Fantasy... :gay:

(Bonus: The love interest in that book is a were-jaguar :eyepoop:)

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Oh, and Evil Harry wears a hat.

The reveal is that every book cover with Harry in a hat has been of Evil Harry. :ms:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Cythereal posted:

To me, this became obvious in Small Favor. No wizard of the White Council has been entrusted with a Sword of the Cross since the original Merlin - and none at all have ever been given custody of two. Uriel likewise doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who does anything without a drat good reason, and I think he too knows something is coming and is preparing Harry for it. For that matter, I'm suspicious of the Archive's role in things as well.

I'm wondering if maybe love is the key difference between the Harrys in Mirror Mirror when that book eventually comes out - that Harry married Susan, perhaps, or took any of the opportunities to sleep with Murphy or Molly which lead to something more. That's the kind of seemingly positive change that could have all sorts of repercussions down the line.

I'm not going to speculate on what the exact change is going to be, but I like the theory that it's something that will have resulted in Mirror Harry having a 'better'/happier life, which initially makes it seem like 'our' Harry is the gently caress-up/broken and failed one. But of course all the pain Harry has been through has been For A Purpose and so Mirror Harry won't be up to dealing with what's coming (if it happens in his dimension) because he's soft.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I really love Ivy and I want to see more of her asap

:same:

Probably already mentioned, but what if Harry and Susan had never slept together? The baby never would have happened, Susan would have less tying her to her human side and maybe goes full vampire, Harry never ends the Red Court, and Harry also misses out on another reason to fight (the baby).

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

He pulls off a complete moral 180, becomes a saint, and as a result of a time loop ends up becoming Santa Claus.

That noose that keeps him immortal stops his neck from snapping every time he dives down a chimney.

Checks out.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

MadDogMike posted:

Mab did not create the Winter Court, she's not the first queen of it even.

She might actually be the first queen, for all intents and purposes. I can't point to the scene(s) but either I completely made this up in my head or at one point it's heavily implied that the Queen/Lady mantles change the bearer over time into what you see there (yes I know this is like how the Winter Knight mantle is implied to work, but I'm not thinking of that).

Mab has always been the Queen of Winter; the Mab that Harry knows just wasn't Mab before having the mantle.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

MeLKoR posted:

My point was that you can't "excuse" what Mab does "because she has to rule over ruthless creatures" when she does everything she can to make those creatures more ruthless.

You don't get mad at a tornado for destroying your house. It's a force of nature, there's no intent there.

Mab is basically a force of nature, she does what she does because that's what she is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Cythereal posted:

Molly mentions in Skin Game that Maeve's been neglecting her duties for centuries, and so Molly's been running all over the place working on Maeve's backlog. There's also no telling how long Maeve was infected by Nemesis, which could be part of it.

It's a good thought, though, about the Knight and the Lady. Harry is what Molly and Mab want him to be - stubborn, dangerous, and fundamentally his own man despite the mantle. Even Mother Winter observes that Mab and Molly finally have a Winter Knight worth the trouble.

I really hope all the freaky vajazzle poo poo with Maeve was Nemesis being in her.

I already have to deal with Molly slowing turning into Maeve, I don't want to think of her becoming some psychotic sex bitch. :ohdear: