Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.

anilEhilated posted:

Anyone read the newest Tim Powers, Alternate Routes? Is it any good? Powers has this thing where his good books are utterly amazing and his worse books become total stinkers.

Stinker IMO. Real disappointment; felt like it was written by someone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

QueenOfTheEvening posted:

The difference here is that Harry is a human who chose to take up power, Molly was a human who had even greater power thrust upon her accidentally. Just because Harry is a stubborn prick, and Mab planned for that, doesn't mean the same is true of Molly as the Lady.
Remember that Molly was being prepared anyway as a contingency, hence all the training with Harry’s godmother. But I think in respect to Michael, he would straight out go to Harry/Molly and have it out, he wouldn’t muck around with anything subtle.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

Honestly the world has also changed since he wrote the earlier books - don’t get me wrong, the creepy elements were creepy then and creepy now, but I think the skeeviness of stuff like the White Court, the Winter Knight rape fantasy stuff etc is all vastly more out of tune with the times than a couple of decades ago. It was much more common in sci fi and fantasy literature but discourse around toxic masculinity, sexual violence and consent has evolved and I think there is a wider expectation (rightly) it should be more sensitively handled these days. Basically I think a lot of Dresden has dated badly.