Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Arcsech posted:

I'm surprised they didn't offer to replace it for you or give you a deep discount on a new one. They don't really give a crap about the hardware, all the money is in the book sales.

Edit: Since we're on Kindle discussion, anyone know when Kindle preorders become available? I'd assume midnight PST but you never know and I haven't done a preorder on a Kindle before.

For Cold Days and the last Wheel of Time book both started working between midnight and 12:30am PST for me. I'm assuming about the same for this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Welp, I'm out. Curse all of you on the east coast! I've still got like 4 hours to wait.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

D

Skippy McPants posted:

Well, some of it can be heaped on Harry. He's always been a misogynistic prickbag, and traditionally that manifested as white knighting and low level creephattery. Nothing super overt, but defiantly present and it's not a huge stretch to see that going to a much darker place under the wrong set of conditions.

That said, whether it was Butcher trying to up sell the darker side of Harry's id or Butcher's own hangups bleeding through (probably both), he way overshot the mark. To the point that it damages your impressions both of the character and the author. What's so weird is that Butcher has shown he can do better. Harry had similar morality breaks when dealing with Lasciel, but they presented as a much more generalized loss of impulse control and not allrapeallthetime.

He reigns it in a bit in Skin Game, but still not to the degree he needs to. Hopefully by the time the next book rolls around they'll both have gotten it out of their system, cause yeah, it's probably the worst the series has ever been on that particular topic.

Dang dude tell us how you really feel about an NBA sized wizard hating women.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Skippy McPants posted:

Oh gently caress off, I'm not making some impassioned screed here. Dresden Files is pulpy fluff, but that doesn't mean I'm going to switch my brain off whenever I hit something in the text which is undeniably lovely. I enjoy the series, and I can do that while still being cognizant of its shortcomings.

Bro look through your history. That poo poo is like, 90% of what you post in here. I see a post about it and yep, there ya are. We get it, you want gay rape vampires and harry to be gay. There's fanfics for that.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

mastajake posted:

Well to be fair, there's only like two male sex vampires, right? Thomas and his dad? The rest were killed by his dad or are on the fear/despair sides of the spectrum. Unless I'm forgetting some of the others? 0/2 doesn't seem THAT bad for a distribution.

Thats 0%! We demand more gay rape vamps!!!!!

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

thrawn527 posted:

Unfortunately I'm visiting family this weekend. So very little free time.

20% in...I picked the wrong time to start this book, didn't I?

:lol: you are so hosed man. Take some loooooong bathroom breaks bro.

As far as the Skinwalkers go, Navajo and most of the Native American mythology is filled with extremely freaky poo poo. I grew up here in the southwest so I don't think about it but it's always interesting to see the reaction that people from other parts of the US have to the local stories. Also funny is people from the east coast having the complete inability to pronounce the tilde and their subsequent hysterical readings of street signs.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Man I just finished up that 20 Palaces stuff and now I'm sad there aren't more of them. Why would a publisher drop them when they publish so many other terrible books?

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Whens the next dresden book geez

its been like 2 years chop chop hurry it up butcher

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

What the heck is worm?

When the heck is a new Harry Dresden files coming out geez???

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Tunicate posted:

worm is a webnovel about superheros.

It's pretty good until the poorly-thought-out Setting Rules become front and center.

Thats cool is there a link to the web zone with it?

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

so when is the new dresden files book supposed to come out? he heisted hades like 3 years ago now

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

butcher should be in the word mines for my entertainment god dangit

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Yeah but where is peace talks!!!

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Would offing Elaine actually produce any shock though?

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I will admit I think it's hilarious that Jordan managed to put out three books in between the publication of Storm of Swords and Feast for Crows . . . despite literally dying.

and none of them included extensive scenes of people making GBS threads!

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

get back in the word mines butcher

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Isn't there supposed to be a new laundry files book soon

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Arcsech posted:

I didn't recall it and I didn't understand that bit either.

I also like the implication towards the end that Schiller is not only not the thing that has started to eat the US government, he is also probably not even working for the Nazgul anymore. He is in the UK in a final, desperate bid to get the hell away from whatever it is that ate the US government, and dreads going back to face it.

even dead gods are terrified of hypercapitalism and trumps kakistocracy lmao

i finished it tonight and it was pretty good. I thought it was really weird that bob is basically incompetent now and thought the ending was kinda weak. Oh well on to the next book!

get back in the word mines butcher i'm a content locust and need more books buzz buzz

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

I feel like im the only person who didnt like uhhh peter grant? the main dude in the london underground series. He just sorta seemed needlessly cruel, petty, and just a poo poo person to me when I read the first 3 or 4 up to where they went to some bording school for black magic that was abandoned then spent a bunch of time in a guest cottage and there mighta been a lovely mermaid

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Exmond posted:

Nyralothep the crawling chaos where nyralothep is an "Alien" (read 15 year old girl) who falls in love and just wants to watch anime and buy manga.

Heck, who doesn't?????

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

The Rat posted:

Just got to see Jim Butcher talk at a meet the author event and he is a hilarious turbo nerd in person. Which is to be expected, really. I asked him how he does so well with the technical details of firearms, and apparently he got into shooting to some degree.

He's American. We are all born clutching a gun

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

wheres the book butcher

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

smertrioslol posted:

GRRM is writing the prologue you see

no one cares abolut your bbq or college football george!!!! get back on the typewriter

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

wheres the dang book butcher

help me escape this hellworld if only for the 2-3 hours ittl take me, a content locust, to binge through your book

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Blasphemeral posted:

2-3 hours for a major hardback novel? Seriously?
Do you even retain any of it?

yeah i do. lets be honest theres a ton of these novels that you can skip through quickly since he basically rehashes the same stuff a lot especially as descriptors. this stuff is basically airport level fiction in terms of complexity. its not hard to read quick!

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

when is the new dresden files out

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

hells bells

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

wheres the fuckin book butcher

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

rndmnmbr posted:

Someone's behind on the news.

Peace Talks is out July 14. Battle Ground is out September 29. Yes, that's right, two Dresden Files books this year.

what the!!!!

thanks man!!!

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Everyone posted:

Peace Talks Chapter Four is up now for those interested.

And after that I can see how McCoy might be the one to betray Harry. I'm assuming that this is the last chapter before the release. Butcher seems to alternate between four chapters on even books (and this is #16) and five for odd books, (so maybe we'll get five chapters for Battle Ground).

The post says another chapter next Tuesday so maybe 5?

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

What the gently caress why is peace talks 15 bucks for a Kindle edition

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

jivjov posted:

That's what books cost.

books suck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Deptfordx posted:

Wasn't Binder supposed to be based on his main in CoH.

This makes so much sense because that character seems so out of place

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Everyone posted:

Okay. I didn't think it was garbage, but it was clearly forgettable to me.

So, Peace Talks is supposed to arrive from Amazon sometime Tuesday - and I work until 7:30 PM - and also have to be at work the next day by, like, 5:30 AM. So, will I have the discipline to leave the book until I get off Wed so I can sleep at least a little bit, or will I "Okay, seriously, just one more chapter" my rear end into staying up all night? The odds heavily favor the latter outcome.

you can get a head start and read the first 5 chapters before the book comes out

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Olesh posted:

I'd put Peace Talks and Battle Ground combined at shorter than First Lord's Fury. I'm too cynical to treat this as anything other than some combination of a cash grab (he hasn't published in a while and has had many expenses in the intervening period) and an attempt to appease people looking at his lack of output ("See? It's not that I wasn't writing, it's that I was writing TWO BOOKS, which explains why it took so long!").

capitalism claims another wizard

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

ok i laughed at that. fair point tbh

spoiled but not really a spoiler at all (from chapter 6 referencing the doughnut Harry got from the eldest goat)

lmao the svartelves kinda own, they understand harry is tough on buildings. again spoiled but again more of a reference to earlier....issues....harry has had with buildings

Ramadu fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Jul 14, 2020

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

:lol: lara raith is a weeb

im dyin

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

same

im from buenos aieres and i say kill em all

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

pretty fun read though butters having a threesome with werewolves was strange, also the creepin on hope and ivy was very butcher and i'm excited to read the angry rants for months about them till the next half of a book

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Up Circle posted:

I already know the hat dresden's gonna be wearing on the cover of the final trilogy

:lol: