Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

ImpAtom posted:

The protagonist in Rivers of London is seriously the worst part of the books. He's just so ineffectual, so dumb (sometimes intentionally, at least according to the author), and surrounded by people who are way more effective and interesting than he is.

We're clearly reading different books. The protagonist is interesting, intelligent and inventive with the old and new worlds. He's not a super detective or wizard, which is frankly refreshing as power creep hasn't yet spoiled him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

p0zer posted:

I just got done reading Bill the Vampire. It is far from good, but it is a lot of fun.

I figure I would just suggest it in here because this thread has turned into the unofficial Urban Fantasy Discussion House.

I so wanted to like it. But, the constant, "all vampires have to do this...except you!!!" And "no vampire can do this...except you!!!" Just killed it for me.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

ConfusedUs posted:

Cold Days is really, really good. It's also an incredibly important book.

Changes was the first book in a three-part trilogy that changed the nature of the series. Changes cut Harry's ties to his previous life as a professional wizard. All the physical things that made Harry who he was were gone. Harry's been held back, in many ways, by those things. His lovely apartment. His crappy car. His dusty office. His magical crutches. Bob. Harry relied on these things, depended on them, and built his life around them.

Ghost Story forced him to look inward. Harry had to own up to who he was, look at the results of his actions, and move on. Ghost Story is a radical shift in tone from the previous 12 books; the conflict is mostly internal. The Corpsetaker plot is secondary in importance to the real story: Harry isn't who he used to be.

At this point, Harry has nothing to fall back on. His life, as it was before, was over. All his stuff is gone. All his friends think he is dead. Harry struggles back to life to find that he is no longer the man he used to be.

In Cold Days, we find Harry struggling with his new identity, or lack thereof. He's a new creature. He doesn't want to be the cold-hearted killer that Mab intends to make of him, but he's not the self-appointed magical sheriff of Chicago either. In the midst of this identity crisis, he uncovers Nemesis.

This gives Harry a purpose, one that he can use to re-shape himself.

This new Harry thinks bigger than Chicago. He must. Harry is now the Warden of Demonreach. He's the bane of outsiders. He's Nemesis's nemesis. This new Harry is built upon the ruins of the old. He's been rebuilt. Better. Stronger. Faster.

Thew new Harry has to touch base with his old network. It wouldn't make sense to dump the existing characters. Murphy, Thomas, Michael, Butters, and Molly are all pillars of the series. Harry doesn't forget them, but he does re-forge those relationships over the course of the book (and a bit into Skin Game). Molly is no longer his apprentice. Murphy is no longer the unrequited love. Butters is no longer a scared weakling. They've grown and changed every bit as much as Harry. Same faces, new stories.

Cold Days is the most important book in the series since Grave Peril. It has set a new foundation for the meta-narrative. The old stories are, with a few exceptions, done. It's a whole new ball game.

I encourage you to look beyond the Nemesis plot. That aspect of the new Dresden in its infancy. We've seen naught by signs and portents. The real meat and potatoes is how Harry forges a new life amidst the ruins of the old.

But this is all a weakness going forward not a strength. Dresden, local do gooder was what was lovable. Dresden superhero in supervillain universe may be entertaining, but it's no longer Dresden. It's not growth (as a story) it's radical change. I enjoyed cold days, but it wasn't improvement. It wasn't as bad as ghost story (Jesus, the star trek nerd crap sucked so hard), but it was a step back from the best. And sadly, I think you're right on where we're going, but I'm going to miss the urban fiction that was harry Dresden.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Rumda posted:

Sounds like its just not for you anymore.

No, they're just less good, that doesn't mean bad. And, the argument that the supernatural forces the escalation isn't correct. It's like saying the Matthew scudder books have to leave NY and stop being p.i. stories. Supernatural protagonists growing in power isn't neccesary , it's lazy. If you have a 20 book story arc planned, and it's part of it, great, not necessarily my cup of tea, but good for you. If you laurell Hamilton it, though, that's a different story.

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Sep 17, 2014

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Murgos posted:

Oh, hey, look! Someone on the internet expresses their opinion as fact when people don't agree with them.

Next, maybe you'll post in all caps? Maybe then someone might agree with you.

No, I was posting my opinion, period. You being a jackass doesn't change that. I don't think anyone was confused that I was expressing an opinion.

Edit: on a non-internet hissy fit note, when did butcher design the overarching story? I mean, when did he first discuss that was the plan going forward? I'm curious about when he started aiming that way.

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Sep 18, 2014

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Geisladisk posted:

The problem is that what draws people to the Dresden Files, is Harry Dresden: A relatively minor wizard who lives in a lovely apartment in Chicago, has a broken hockey stick for a staff, drives a multicoloured, wheezing VW Beetle, is so completely irreverent and cocky that he put himself in the goddamn yellow pages under "Wizard", and does his best to kick his local chapter of Team Evil in the teeth when he can, despite having almost zero resources other than cleverness at his disposal. I loving love that character.

That character is, as you noted, dead, and has been replaced by superpowered winter-knight superhero mega-wizard who's list of responsibilities includes defending a cosmic doomsday device capable of destroying reality, being The Chosen One in a fight for reality itself, and regularly chatting up literal gods and demigods all the time.

The problem is that I just don't find the second one as interesting, and I don't think the series can survive the shift, because this is exactly the kind of character development that killed Codex Alera.

While I obviously agree with your opinion on where it should have gone, the books will still sell, and even be entertaining. They just won't have that charm they had before. Too bad, I may check out the comics as recommended.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Rumda posted:

You are in the minority there. The series will survive losing you as a reader

He may be in the minority in this thread. Don't know about the community as a whole. But agreed the series likely to survive.

^^^^nah, best was canceling. Everything else was degrees of mitigating the bad.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Rhymenoserous posted:

This doesn't even make sense. Of course they are going to grow in power. If you do any task, even a mundane one for 10+ years you are going to grow in ability/skill in completing that task.

Calling it lazy writing just because an author doesn't lock his character in some goofy homeostasis for 20+ books just seems silly.

If someone wrote a book about one mans journey to go from short order cook to master chef over the course of his lifetime would him growing in ability also be "Lazy Writing?"

First, yes, that sentence is too broad, but also it was part of a discussion of power creep. No one is arguing for stasis. But, the growth of a cook is a good example of what is not going on here. Soul fire, hellfire, winter power, whatever the outsider superpower ends up being. He's not just becoming a more accomplished chef. He's not just taking the same ingredients in a clever way...that's exactly what I'm lamenting. Dresden now is so much more powerful than the guys from the first books who were held up as superpowers (except maybe the dragon). Power creep is a lazy replacement for nuance and good ideas. But, I take back the lazy comment (mostly) for butcher if he planned this all along. I suspect he didn't, though, but rather had the scheme, not the specifics, and the power creep has been incidental to not necessary to the overarching plot.

I still like the books (mostly - ghost story was a misstep as was the Thomas centric story ), and I know what I want isn't what every reader wants. Laurell Hamilton is very popular and I hate that crap. Its the Hamiltonian elements here I dislike. There's not much sex, but butcher sexualized every female character in a way that is sad and bad for the stories. I'd rather he have more sex, frankly, than the bad objectification he does now.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
I like Jim Hines, but I can't get into the libriomancer. The system strikes me as a great, cool sounding idea that he'll have to keep explaining why you can't do something grossly overpowered.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

NinjaDebugger posted:

He pretty much gets this out of the way in the first book. Either 1) The book is locked, or 2) The book isn't widely read enough, so it doesn't have enough power for you to pull X busted-rear end thing out.

Sure. And I expect similar issues to keep happening. I don't think its a workable system for the books. I prefer his goblin series.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

newts posted:

Apologies if this has been posted already, but this is a long thread...

Anyone looking for more urban fantasy/detective books might want to check out Dead Things by Stephen Blackmore: http://www.amazon.com/Dead-Things-Stephen-Blackmoore-ebook/dp/B00AVA4NPM/ref=la_B004XW62A8_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1413164393&sr=1-2. It's a pretty good read. I'd rate it above the Alex Verus books, maybe below the Felix Castor series in terms of quality. There's a sequel too.

I've liked all Blackmore's urban fantasy so far (I think there are three).

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

sharknado slashfic posted:

I'll be in my late forties :stare:

Pfttttttt! I'm already 50.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

autism chariot posted:

I really liked them, but I wouldn't bother with it once you've finished the Midnight Mayor stuff. I found her writing style took a little getting used to as well, especially in the first book.

Contrary opinion here. The midnight mayor series is very entertaining, all of them, and the two magicals anonymous books are a nice, new approach to urban mythos and equally entertaining.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

just_a_guy posted:

Skeleton mages is definitely my thing

I went with Midnight Mayor this week since the blurb appealed to me the most I should be finished pretty quick since I'm stuck home with a sick child and a weather that Noah himself would be impressed by.
(try reading with Dora the Explorer in the background. Makes for an interesting experience)

So far I am enjoying the Urban take on magic. Subway gates becoming powerful wards is pretty clever and makes for a certain amount of sense.
I am just a bit unsure about the magic system. I generally like the ones with clearly defined boundaries and that don't break the laws of physics too much or in the least not suspension-of-disbelief breaking.

There will never be clearly defined boundaries. In some ways, as the series goes on, it becomes less defined. I like that, but I can see where it might bug you.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Lyon posted:

Yeah I thought this was part of the charm of the books. Sorcerers seem to use magic based on their understanding/belief of the world. It seemed like some of the other magic users had more defined rules but they aren't the main character so we don't get to see them. It felt way less D&D and more organic.

You see more of the other styles in the magicals anonymous series.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

OneTwentySix posted:

I really liked Unbound, too. There were some nice "oh, poo poo" moments, and that letter from his brother was something I really wanted to see Isaac's reaction to. It'll be interesting to see all the fallout from Gutenberg death and the unlocking of a ton of books, plus the reveal that magic is real. Honestly, I am SO tired of every urban fantasy going, "yep, we gotta hide this from everyone for reasons!" It's just refreshing to see this series go this route.

I started his Goblin Quest series last night, just to see where Smudge came from, and it's okay - finished book one today. Not great, but not bad, either.

I like his goblin books more than one and two of libriomancer. Different, but fun.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

ConfusedUs posted:

Finished Foxglove Summer. This was a very good book! The metaplot didn't move forward much, but it was a very good look into how Peter has grown as both a magician and as a copper.

I like books that are self contained within a series. No sacrificing storytelling for story arc. I liked this one more than the last.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
I bought the movie Amira and Sam. This came up in the "search results in all departments." I leave it for your consideration.

https://www.amazon.com/Lukes-Obsess...s=amira+and+sam

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Khizan posted:

Because it's more interesting when the book is about a fuckup, imo. Peter is a lovely street cop who's on the verge of an exciting career in desk work when he lucks into a position as a sorcerer's apprentice that just happens to also let him be a 'real' cop. That is, imo, much more interesting than a story about an actual good cop falling into the same thing.

Yes, we hardly need another book about, "turns out he's SPECIAL" like Dresden. Admittedly, Dresden is so entertaining in spite of the tropes.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Wade Wilson posted:

I, for one, am wondering about the mythical fallout to come from Beverly essentially invading a faerie plane with a with the equivalent of a nuclear bomb in the form of solid iron locomotive to rescue Peter.

Also, I've caught up on Sandman Slim and Felix Castor. Have already read Alex Verus. What else is there in this sub-genre to read that is worth reading?

Patricia Briggs. More romance, but better take on Fae.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Tornhelm posted:

Basically riffing of the commercials with sad puppies in them.

http://monsterhunternation.com/2013/01/16/how-to-get-correia-nominated-for-a-hugo-part-2-a-very-special-message/

Which is a large part of what they were asking for. The Sad Puppies campaign has been pretty transparent in it's message of having people read the works and then deciding on whether they thought they were worth voting for.

Instead, there's a lot of guilt by association because Larry's slate on #2 had one of Vox's works he liked (which wasn't that bad) and Brad had a couple of works that were published by Castalia (Vox's publishing house) on it. That combined with Vox deciding to call his slate "Rabid Puppies" (and paying the artist who did the Sad Puppies logo to make a similar one for him) culminated in the Sad Puppies campaign being painted with the same brush.

Bullshit. Nothing about this is the message, "read the works and decide." It's about putting in works that could not get nominated on their own honestly. They believe the reason they couldn't get nominated was a conspiracy, but for whatever reason, that's it. Period. Sure, some of the works are mainstream, but they basically nominated all their friends first, then filled in some spots after. This has nothing to do with merit.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

asiperi posted:

Might have missed this in Hugos chat, but is anyone here a fan of the Alex Verus series by Benedict Jacka? Someone recommended it to me and I just finished the first book, Fated. It was very quick reading, an interesting magic world, and I liked it a lot. The protagonist is a mage who can predict the future and runs a magic store, but not quite as flamboyant or goony as Harry Dresden. I got very Dresden vibes from it, including a little blurb from Jim Butcher on the cover, and a direct shoutout in the first chapter.

I

It's routinely recommended in here.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

computer parts posted:

Titled "Peace Talks", apparently it's about the supernatural community discussing the fallout of the death of the Red Court ( http://www.reddit.com/r/dresdenfiles/comments/27fyki/peace_talks_butcher_confirms_the_plot/ ), date is TBA right now but I think 2016 is possible.

It was partially delayed because of the new series that he's writing but also because it's been 15 books.

Is it just me or do other people resent an author for writing something else instead of the good stuff? I hate and find stupid the steam punk genre, so I really hate the waste of time here. I love Christopher Moore (a name not mentioned much in urban fantasy, but he has some really good ones), but his historical stuff does nothing for me,and I hate every book that isn't his " normal" stuff. I know it's irrational, but still.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

ImpAtom posted:

Okay.

The thing that writers thrive on energy and interest. Doing the same thing over and over and over becomes tiresome and repetitive. Writing the same characters, in the same world, with the same plot leads to a loss of interest even for a world they're devoted to. Many writers find that their energy levels (and thus productivity) increase when they diversify and work on what interests them.

What you are asking is not just irrational, it's straight-up stupid, because it leads to a writer who is disinterested and putting out a worksman product because you want them to, instead of one who feels charged and invested in his work. Butcher flat-out said that working on Codex A helped him get back into writing Dresden too. I presume his steampunk novel is the same.

Yes, irrational things are stupid. Thanks for going out of your way to be insulting, though. However, unless you are a writer, I'm not sure I value your opinion that much on how writers work. Many of my favorites write great books in a series, and only in a series. Some write other stuff, and when it's stuff I'm interested in, I'm less irritated. Irrational, I know, as noted, but the question was, do others feel the same.

Rose Spirit posted:

Oh, you say you like an author? Then you're contractually obligated to purchase every single thing they ever write, forever.

:rolleyes:

You kid, but man, that's not an unusual opinion.

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 16:16 on May 20, 2015

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

ImpAtom posted:

Well, I've literally been published so clearly my opinion is now utterly unarguable and you should listen to me. v:shobon:v

However, sarcasm aside, that isn't actually a controversial opinion. Again, this is literally something Jim Butcher said.

No, I don't dispute that Butcher said that. Or that some authors feel that way, but it's not "it's straight-up stupid, because it leads to a writer who is disinterested and putting out a worksman product," since not all authors feel that way.

Speaking of writers, I don't know why Christopher Moore isn't mentioned much in here. He has a couple of good vampire books, and his book on Death, "A Dirty Job," is really excellent.

It's irrational for me to want an author to bend to my will, it's not, however, irrational to differ with your opinion, if you see the difference.

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 16:19 on May 20, 2015

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

ImpAtom posted:

There are very few prolific long-term writers who have only written for a single series so unless your favorites are relatively young authors with few books under their belts I'm not sure who you're talking about.

Mystery authors, the Harry Potter series, there are others but you get the drift.

Sorry, playing games online, and just hitting here occasionally as we go.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

ImpAtom posted:

JK Rowling wrote non-Potter books you know.

When? The mystery she wrote was at least published after.

I'm also thinking of those that write a series, then write something outside the series, but same universe. Think Robert Crais. 8 books in series, then books not in series in name only. Fits your idea of a break, sort of.

Rowling's other books appear to be after she completed Harry Potter.

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 16:28 on May 20, 2015

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

ImpAtom posted:

You can't really go "She wrote one series except for when she did other things afterwards." Also JK Rowling has been very vocal in interviews about how she wanted to diversify and work on new things. She even said she was working on other novels while writing Harry Potter. She is in fact one of the authors who has openly talked about how writing other things helped refresh her energy for her main product and how she was glad when it was over because she could do other things without Harry "taking over."

Sure you can. She wrote, uninterrupted, a series of books. She, apparently, dabbled in other things on the way, great. She wrote a couple of books after she finished. I'm sure she's glad it's over, like Butcher would be, too. I still want Butcher to write what I want. Now. Not the other poo poo he wants.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

ImpAtom posted:

Uh. Robert Crais writes television shows and films in-between novels.

So you want Butcher to write shittier books he isn't invested in.

You only assume the books would be "shittier" if you assume you're correct. I don't assume that, obviously.

Crais work outside novels doesn't interfere with his novel production. If one assumes a need for a creative break, terrific he found one that doesn't stop me getting my fix in a timely way. In fact, since he writes in the genre, I get a benefit from better TV/films. At least he's not writing some steampunk drivel.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Wade Wilson posted:

It would probably get better reception if the reason for the steampunk thing was based on a bet like Alera was.

I like Butcher enough to read it anyway. I enjoyed Alera, even though I thought it was much weaker than Dresden. He is entertaining even when objectively not very well done.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

ImpAtom posted:

Yes, and I would be right.

There is no time or place where any creator does better making something they're obligated to instead of something they want to. Writers are not machines you put money into and a story comes out.

Obligated?

I want him to want to write Dresden. So, sure, writing something he doesn't want to probably wouldn't work.

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 16:53 on May 20, 2015

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

ImpAtom posted:

Yes? You're demanding a 'fix.' You're saying you want him to write faster instead of writing what he wants. I'm not quoting you out of context here, you're demanding he write books faster because you want them faster. You care more about the author getting you a book fast than anything else.

Butcher has written more or less one novel a year and a number of Dresden-themed short stories in the mean time. The longest break he had was between Cold Days and Skin Game. Even when he was literally writing another book series he still got a Dresden book out regularly. So you whining about him writing something keeps you from your fix is silly as hell.

Jesus, you are a sanctimonious little man (sorry, or woman), aren't you?

I'm not demanding anything. I'm expressing my desire for him to write books I'm interested in. I don't email him, post on his message boards harassing him. I disagree with your premise that "writers" are some single, homogenous group that write the same way, with the same needs. I'd like this writer to be like other writers, and produce what I want.

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 17:00 on May 20, 2015

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

ImpAtom posted:

When you tell someone to write something now and not do what they want, you are, uh, demanding. Like literally. That is called a demand.

I'm not trying to be a dick here but maybe you don't realize how you're writing?

I agree. Are you Jim Butcher? Wait, even then, that wouldn't be what you're saying. I'm not telling Jim Butcher anything. If I demanded this of him, sure, it would be creating more of an obligation, but even then, not much. One slightly bewildered fan making a "demand" wouldn't great much of an obligation.

ImpAtom posted:

When you tell someone to write something now and not do what they want, you are, uh, demanding. Like literally. That is called a demand.

I'm not trying to be a dick here but maybe you don't realize how you're writing?

You admit you're being irrational. You admit that you need your fix. You are saying he should do what you want and not what he wants. I mean none of this is taken out of context, it is literal quotes from you.

I realize how I'm writing, but you should note the forum. We're somewhat talking past each other. If I were saying this to Butcher, it would be more akin to your interpretation. I wouldn't think of trying to pressure a writer, for the reasons you note. But I also wouldn't hesitate to note my frustration with the speed of some writers who ARE staying in their lane, so to speak (looking at you Rothfuss) (in this forum).

edit: I hope you're happy. I'm being a dick to some poor Hearthstone guy by not paying attention to them.

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 17:17 on May 20, 2015

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

ImpAtom posted:

So if you wouldn't think of trying to pressure a writer then what exactly is the point you're trying to make? Your frustration is irrational and you admitted it. I guess I'm just confused as to what your point is.

torgeaux posted:

Is it just me or do other people resent an author for writing something else instead of the good stuff? I hate and find stupid the steam punk genre, so I really hate the waste of time here. I love Christopher Moore (a name not mentioned much in urban fantasy, but he has some really good ones), but his historical stuff does nothing for me,and I hate every book that isn't his " normal" stuff. I know it's irrational, but still.

I fail to see anything unclear there? Does anyone else experience impatience with an author, the title author here, writing things outside their signature series?

edit: Even you, for instance. Acknowledging that you think it's best an author take creative lanes outside the series, does it make you impatient if such an author writes something you don't care for?

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 17:34 on May 20, 2015

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Mortanis posted:

I'm sure this has been posted before.

Neil Gaiman: George R R Martin Jim Butcher is not your bitch

http://journal.neilgaiman.com/2009/05/entitlement-issues.html

I don't disagree with any of that.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Wow, quoting quotes doesn't do much does it?

See, Neil's conclusion, that it's unreasonable, is the same as mine. I don't have to ask if it's unreasonable, hence my use of the word irrational. It's irritating to me, I guess I'm the only one. That's ok, too.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Kellanved posted:

For me at least Skin Game is an utterly forgettable book. Had to read this thread to remember most of the plot. I just want to see some real character growth on Dresden, because in my mind he hasn't changed that much throughout the series.

On other urban fantasy series: I've recently read the Matthew Swift books. While they can be confusing at times, the world-building is memorable.

The Matthew Swift series is seriously entertaining. Great world building, but I like the spin-off series a bit better, actually. Swift is more original, better written, but the urban shaman thing is just more fun. Love those books.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

mistaya posted:

So I got to meet Paul Cornell (London Falling series) at Phoenix comicon (I didn't even know he would be there and was completely surprised to see him) and after the panels I got to talk to him a bit about books and things, (we joked about Aaronovitch, who he's friends with) he's really nice and a little shy and you would never be able to tell he writes what is definitely the closest UF series to pure horror that I've read. I'm going to read his books in his voice in my head from now on.

But I want to bring the thread's attention to someone I haven't seen mentioned, M.L. Brennan- because she was the most bubbly excited person on the author panels and her Generation V novels are a really fun read (Vampires but as if they were biological predators instead of transformed humans, so they would naturally have longer lifespans than their prey etc, but they aren't immortal.) The protagonist is a very young vampire who is trying to put off growing out of his humanity as long as possible and the supporting characters are funny and memorable. I really love reluctant monsters as characters, and Fortitude is about as reluctant as it gets but it's not primarily about the physical stuff, (there is some urge-denial but it's more about his lifestyle than heat of the moment NEEDS.) The main worry he has is about the mental stuff, where he doesn't want to stop caring about people and turn cold and indifferent to suffering like his older family members.

Brennan was so much fun in person that I actually picked up her book based on her spoken description without even reading the back cover and I'm really glad I did.
Generation V.

(Aside, Sandman Slim's author was also there but he was kind of... standoffish? I didn't feel like I could just run up and say hi to him.)

I hated generation v. Good idea, just though the writing was terrible. Unreadable.

I hated

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

fruit loop posted:

Can anyone please recommend stuff like this? I'd like to gain a better understanding of the current state of the genre as a whole. Preferably garbage that is more widely known (to fans of the genre).

Charlene Harris. Laurell k Hamilton. In each case, the first one or two in series are OK, but by book three they're crazy.
[

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Drifter posted:

Anything that uses the word 'Alpha' to describe the male romantic love interest on the back of the book summary.

Nah, the Patricia Briggs stories aren't in that genre, and they deal with pack politics. They do have some uncomfortably bad sex, but the main female characters are monogamous, we just have to put up with the periodic, "he's so sexy because..." Crap.