Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
Just to give another view on The Rook, I thought it was amateur-hour babby's-first-novel NaNoWriMo bullshit. I thought it was written terribly, not actually edited at all, and everything else about it was pretty bad too. It's like that kindle favourite 'the many lives of tao' in that I wasn't sure the book I was reading was the same one people recommended.

I am enjoying the felix castor books, and the Alex Verus books are decent too, in the spirit of positivity :frogbon:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Ornamented Death posted:

Stiletto: A Novel by Daniel O'Malley

Apparently this comes out in February.

This is a really good example of what I was saying. If the writing style of that blurb annoys you, do not read this book.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

LoG posted:

Yeah, I'd heard about the bet and think it's awesome.

Not really sure but it hasn't "grabbed" me like Dresden did, and I loved the first Dresden book faults and all. I'll definitely stick it out. Thanks for the input.

It's not great imo. It's okay, but nothing special. There's much much worse out there.
It's a 40-degree day.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Mortanis posted:

Well, that'll teach me to pop into the Dresden Files thread and negligently flick a mouse over spoilers without fully reading they were for Libriomancer book 3 that I'm a third of the way through, rather than continued discussion on the Peter Grant stuff I gave up on and has filled the thread for so long. Just caught one sentence but there's enough regrets packed into it.

This is what happens to people who don't like the peter grant books.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Benny the Snake posted:

"Sexist" would be a bit strong because that would imply intentionality. Like I said, Dresden (and by extension Butcher) is just thoughtless.
Then why does butcher stop being thoughtless when he writes from the pov of a different character?

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

ImpAtom posted:

Leslie is a much better character then Peter, yeah. The unreliable narrator thing is cute but it doesn't endear me to Peter any more.

Hey, nightingale is even better at things than leslie! why isn't he the protagonist?

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Mars4523 posted:

Nightingale the veteran who has done it all before. He's the mentor, which is a vital role. But the series starts with introducing us to two rookies, where one is a good copper and the other is Peter. I think he literally ruminates on how easy the circumstances could have been flipped if he was the one to get coffee instead of her. So, why's he the lead?

Because stories about the specialest dude ever born fulfilling his/her destiny to be #1 are boring as poo poo

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Benny the Snake posted:

If each river in London has an associated diety, wouldn't their health be dependant on their respective river?
Apparently not! So that's a bullet dodged, then.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Wheat Loaf posted:

I took another quick flick through Broken Homes and I think if you pay attention to how Lesley is written you can guess at the twist that's coming at the end. I suppose the big question is whether she allied with the Faceless Man between the last book and this one, or if there's a moment in this book where she decides to go over to his side. It's hard to tell, but I suppose that could be a question for Foxglove Summer, which I'm looking forward to.

Speaking of which, did someone say it's been pushed back in the UK? Amazon says it's still due out for this July.

I don't have the book to check with, but I read it as faceless dude using the dead woman at the start of the book as a bait for lesley in the same way team police was trying to use the staff making to bait him out

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

ImpAtom posted:

Peter is absolutely incompetent. He is straight-up bad at being a cop and would have been shifted off to a location where he can't do serious damage except he got lucky. He isn't a blithering idiot but he absolutely lucked into a job that happens to work in his favor and even then he slacks off and gets distracted way more than he reasonably should for someone in his job. I think it hurts more because Leslie is there and is basically a more interesting character than Peter in every way.

it causes me physical pain every time you conflate 'being great and amazing at things and everyone's favourite' with 'being an interesting character'

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

ImpAtom posted:

That's sure putting words in my mouth.

Leslie is interesting because of the combination of her being legitimately motivated and talented and suffering from a severe horrible malady that forces her to deal with serious issues in her life. I'm more interested in seeing how Leslie deals with being the victims of the darkest magic while trying to rebuild her life than I am in seeing Peter gradually stumble his way towards competence. Peter Grant is 'average' but average in that very specific way I don't find very interesting on its own.
Yeah that's fair actually. For some reason whenever you talk about that I read it as you talking about Leslie without the injury. Sorry.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
Or even stop talking about boring war poo poo in the urban fantasy thread, that's an option too

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

The Fool posted:

The thousands of man baby's that haven't matured out of it?

He said, in the thread about a wizard who is also a detective

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
what is the age of consent for a tentacle?

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Wheat Loaf posted:

I have to decide whether to read The Rook next or start the Laundry Files. Which one would the thread recommend first?

What's your tolerance for "babbys first novel/edited by the writer's mum" books? if you don't like them, stay away from the rook. Although thinking on it, I've never actually *wanted* to read a laundry files book - they're the sort of thing I read if I'm killing time and I've read everything else on the kindle. I sort of enjoy some of the episodes, but they do the opposite of grip me. So um, I guess I kind of vote for neither?

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

thrawn527 posted:

Just a guy. Who an Outsider called out, naming him a "Watcher". I don't know what Mac is. But he's not "just" anything.
He's actually a witcher. Lambert tending bar.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
Yikes

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

builds character posted:

You're all going to buy it anyway. :colbert:

Not based on that I won't

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Wittgen posted:

This point of view relies almost entirely on seeing humans as helplessly passive. A better analogy would be an insanely oppressive government being taken out overnight. Yes, other dangerous elements would move in and things would be less stable. But unstable is much better than stably awful.

tell that to syria, pretty much

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Aerdan posted:

e: Also, it seems to me that Winter's Sex'n'Violence instincts are intended to be overcome if the mantle-wearer is going to be at all effective; if the bearer can't, they're not fit for the job and need to be replaced.

probably, but it makes for pretty crappy reading anyway

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Ghetto Prince posted:

Just dropping back in to say that the American Gods TV adaptation is the best urban fantasy I've seen in years.
that is an amazingly amazingly low bar. How does it compare to actual good tv?

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
IMO rook sucked, laundry files is okay, rivers is great, alex verus is pretty good. But I think the thing you can take away from this is that all of those are worth reading to see if you like em.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Finally got around to catching up on the genre and burned through all of Alex Verus over the weekend, now on to Daniel Faust.

I liked Verus, it seemed like the author basically read Dresden and set out to do the same thing but better, by keeping the character weaker, giving him abilities that lent themselves to caper/heist type storylines so he could stick with the early-Dresden-noir type stuff rather than the late-Dresden power fantasies, and making sure to burn out any magic items that started turning into too much of a crutch.

So far, Faust is impressing me less. It's not bad but the las vegas setting and card based magic invites comparisons to Tim Power's Last Call and that's just not a fair match.

I find (spoiler for late-ish Verus) how completely hosed verus is, being so completely outclassed and powerless, really compelling reading. I hope the author has a plan for the series.

e: imo it's tied with rivers for best of the genre, especially since dresden now spends half the books talking about harry's winter boners

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Thanks, I'll check these out and October Daye.

I've read the Craft Sequence series too, just didn't list it as it isn't real-world setting. I was thinking about Pax Arcana but I'm really leery of anything with a werewolf or vampire main character at this point.

The first pax arcana book is a bit "THE FULL MOON WAS HERE...AND I HAD TO STRUGGLE TO CONTROL MY URGES" but it more or less drops that in the later books. They're...not bad.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Mars4523 posted:

The first book (and the second) are about him integrating with the werewolf side of his nature, and then other werewolves socially, after suppressing those instincts for the better part of 50 years. It works, IMO, but mileage varies as always.

Yeah I understand and didn't mind it TOO much, but if someone tells you "nah this series is fine even if you're tired of werewolves" you're gonna be :thunk: during the first book

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

It's not even that i want them to gently caress, it's that I want them to behave like normal, casual human beings and acknowledge that loving is a possibility that exists.

The Verus books are pretty good, but they're super, duper light on the whole "human" element. Seeing Alex and Anne interact is like watching your work colleagues interact at the office; it's professional, even cordial, but everyone involved has clearly siloed off a major part of their personality and stuck it in a box until the end of the say so that they don't end up in front of HR.
Alex gets called out for being an emotionally shut-down freak by that emotion mage in book....2? or 3? All of the other characters agree with you.

e: I don't mean to say that it's not annoying to read, I'm just pointing out that it doesn't seem to be an oversight.

awesmoe fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jun 13, 2017

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Oh, and the other author people should read is Tim Powers, specifically Declare.

i dont care if its UF or not but declare is the poo poo (and I remain impressed by how well he jacked le'carre's style)
Hm, thinking about it I haven't read Tim Powers' fisher king stuff. Is it good compared to the rest?

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I picked up the audiobook on the strength of this recommendation. Since I'm flying across country in a few days I though a 16 hour listen would be perfect for the plane ride there and back. Sadly, I made the mistake of playing the book a little bit just to make sure I wasn't setting myself up for a miserable flight. This in turn led to me finishing the book in 3 days of near non stop listening. Really engrossing, interesting prose, and though the ending was weaker than the narrative preceding it I thought the story came to a thoughtful and earned conclusion. Hell of debut for Scott Hawkins. I'll definitely be checking out his future work.

Can anyone recommend something vaguely similar? I do still have to take those long flights.

American gods, but you've probably already read it

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

He's a bit of a oval office, but in a way that feels realistic and formed life experiences.

Yeah I totally agree with this assessment. He's also less aware of it than the people around him are (as is often the case) which rubs some readers the wrong way.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
I'm reading the October Daye books! they're....they're okay! They're written well enough, I've never cringed but I've never been impressed by a phrase. The imagination and the world is kinda cool, but also kind of arbitrary and things just happen or dont happen to suit the plot. If you like UF as a genre, from the top to the bottom, they're well worth checking out. If you only like the cream of the crop, ehh, maybe pass

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

SirSamVimes posted:

So if I enjoyed the Dresden Files books a lot and loved Tad Williams' Bobby Dollar books, where would I go for more urban fantasy with a film noir tone?

sandman slim series (meh), daniel faust series (ok), felix castor series (fairly decent), maybe alex verus series (great but maybe not what you're looking for)
for scale I would rate the first bobby dollar book as not bad and the second one as sub-meh.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Yes and no.

I mean, look at Harry. He's not ugly, but he's not good looking. For most of the book he's somewhat physically average, especially compared to most of the things he fights. For all his magical strength, there's a lot he cannot do, and he's usually humiliated at least once a book. He has meaningful flaws that are part of his character. The people around him end up hurt, but so does he. He suffers and struggles, which makes his conflicts more meaningful, and other people get to share the spotlight. A lot of my favorite moments from the series weren't even Harry's.

yes and no, but mostly yes
what you're talking about is awfully-written power fantasy. dresden is power fantasy with a fig leaf - "he's not ugly but he's not good looking" i think the only two women in the books who don't want to jump his dick are charity carpenter and that widow who joins the witch coven thing "he's physically average" he's like 18 feet tall and he doesnt *need* super strength, he's a wizard (but he has it anyway) "there's a lot he cannot do" there's a lot he can't do the first time he tries it then he uses his super resourcefulness to find a way. etc etc etc. The series has moments when it achieves something better, but at it's core, it's about someone who's flawed just like you or me, but AWESOMELY BADASS WITH FUCKEN WIZARD POWERS!!1

it's power fantasy with a veneer of respectability. Which is fine, I'm not judging and I'll still read the next one assuming he ever writes it, but yeah.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

biracial bear for uncut posted:

If you count the Craft series as UF, you should really check out the Broken Earth Trilogy because holy poo poo it blows pretty much all of the other books we talk about out of the loving water.

FINE! I will then!

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

If you count the Craft series as UF, you should really check out the Broken Earth Trilogy because holy poo poo it blows pretty much all of the other books we talk about out of the loving water.

these were pretty good. great characters and interesting conflict. In some ways i felt it suffered for being fantasy/scifi - the magic bits almost distracted from the interesting bits, the conflict within and between groups and the effects of oppression and dehumanisation. but I've guess you've gotta have a plot to hang your story on. Worth reading fo sho. Absolutely not UF in any way but who gives a poo poo.

General Emergency posted:

There's nothing wrong with power fantasy and why pretend there is?
its boring. the stories only go one way.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

navyjack posted:

It’s a nice change from Dresden, I guess, who will do bad poo poo but just feel awful about it. And often as not come up with some bullshit justification for why it was actually a good and right thing.

and then his friends will tell him 'hey its okay you did what needed to be done', and then occasionally yahweh himself will descend from the heavens to tell him "ya dun good, kid, attaboy"

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Xtanstic posted:

Honestly that book annoyed me because it seemed inevitable it would end up that way but whyyyy did it take so long for him to deal with the annoying little shits

for some reason most people try to avoid killing children

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

darthbob88 posted:

And also because Verus was moral enough to admit that they had a point, he was terribly guilty, and he was IIRC extremely interested in making penance by some way other than his death. Shame the teenagers were less interested in settling things peacefully.

yeah this is why I like the books
and that his supporting cast have their own directions to their lives, and their own values/frames of reference to judge his actions against

Syzygy Stardust posted:

They weren’t kids and they were attempting to murder him.

you're right, it was this simple all along. thanks for clarifying.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Is that the one that takes place between Ghost Story and Skin Game?

Because that one sucked.

That whole rant about The Rack was so loving stupid.

The Rack like he knew her before she needed to wear a bra, or a different one?

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
The good guys is one of the first books in a while that I'm not going to finish. It's like every character is Jack Reacher, in their own way, but without a hint of irony or self-awareness. Not my thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
Srachne's response to verus asking was sad. Guessing some stuff was set in motion, there.
I'm looking forward to re-reading that book (MAYBE THE WHOLE SERIES??????? will keep you posted!!)