Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Ghetto Prince posted:

None of those examples are urban fantasy.

Which is more likely: Glen Cook's Garrett series isn't urban fantasy, or you're just an idiot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Rowe posted:

I saw that one, should have mentioned that I guess. I was clueless why that one was so cheap and the others weren't. I'll definitely grab a copy and keep my fingers crossed. Thanks!

There is a vanishingly small chance you could find them at a random Books a Million; that's how I got everything but Fool Moon, even years after they were OOP.

Honestly, though, the best bet is to buy the second printing of Storm Front, pray a lot of other people do the same, then keep repeating the process if/when Penguin reprints subsequent books.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Rygar201 posted:

This is doubly funny because Shannon Butcher is a successful author in her own right.

Well they are divorced now.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Rygar201 posted:

Is that why he's at the gym so much now?

Well he said all the working out helps with his migraines, but ultimately I'm sure the divorce also plays a part.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

jivjov posted:

What's wrong with Amazon? They frequently have the best prices, especially on hardbacks.

Then again, I'm spoiled by having Prime. Getting things in 2 days with no additional shipping costs is amazing.

I can't speak for Benny, but I ceased buying books from Amazon because I got tired of returning the same book two or more times, trying to get a copy that wasn't beat to poo poo. And I'm not talking about books I bought from some schmuck on the Marketplace, I'm talking about new releases sold by Amazon. Once you factor in the cost of my time spent having to pack and ship books back to them, it's cheaper for me to go to Books a Million, join their club thingy for $25, and just buy all my books there.

This probably means I'll stop renewing my Prime membership, too...

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

jivjov posted:

Weird; I have never had any major shipping damage from Amazon. Hardcover dust jackets occasionally have bent corners, but that's the exception rather than the rule. It's probably the delivery people manhandling your stuff rather than anything Amazon themselves are doing.

It's really not. Amazon puts books in boxes that are 50% or more too big and includes absolutely no kind of padding material to keep thing things from sliding around.

The best was when I requested a replacement because the dust jacket was torn up and they sent me a copy with no dust jacket.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Ika posted:

Weird, over here they send single books in cardboard envelope like things and multiple books include wadded up paper as padding. I still try to avoid them because I prefer buying from companies that pay taxes in my country.

They use those sometimes, too, but again the guys in Kentucky don't bother to make sure the book fits properly in the box so it gets beat up during transport.

It floors me that I can order something from the Book Depository, which is wholly owned by Amazon, have it cross the Atlantic Ocean, and arrive in my hands is perfect condition, but the domestic Amazon operation can't get something from Kentucky to South Carolina without it suffering all kinds of damage.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

jivjov posted:

Every book I've ordered from Amazon has come in either one of those pull-tab cardboard mailers, or in a box with a handful of those air-pack packing material thing. I dunno what to tell you, but what you're describing and what I've experienced are completely opposite.

Ok? I wasn't trying to cast doubt on your own experiences, I was simply sharing mine. I'm sure Amazon will not miss the few hundred dollars a year I typically spend on mass-market books, just like they don't need you in here white-knighting for their shipping department.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Virigoth posted:

Found your problem. I'm surprised SC doesn't have its own distro somewhere.

Apparently there are three of them in SC (Spartanburg, Columbia, and Charleston), but most everything I buy comes from Kentucky. Weird.

jivjov posted:

Hey man, there's no need to get all hostile on me.You represented your situation as absolute Amazon policy.

Which I am pointing out is not the case at all.

I can't believe I need to say this, but obviously I did not mean this is how Amazon operates 100% of the time. I was specifically talking about my own experiences as the question was "why would someone not use Amazon?" and I gave my reason why. Read between the lines before jumping in to defend your corporate overlords :).

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

September 29th for The Aeronaut's Windlass.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

ConfusedUs posted:

Is that the first Cinder Spires book? I think I recall that being its name.

Yes.

Error 404 posted:

gently caress YES. gently caress YES. gently caress YES. gently caress YES. gently caress YES. gently caress YES. gently caress YES.
gently caress YES. gently caress YES. gently caress YES. gently caress YES. gently caress YES. gently caress YES. gently caress YES.

Indeed.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Oroborus posted:

So if butchers steampunk book comes out in September I guess it would be fair to say next August for Peace talks?

At the earliest. Historically having two series going has helped Jim to write faster, but a lot has changed since that was last the case so we'll see. I'm hoping that we'll get a new book each year, alternating between the two series - that's probably the best-case scenario.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

The version of Ghost Story that Jim promised and cited as the reason for the delay of that book probably would have been a lot better than what we actually got. As it stands, it's my least-favorite Dresden book.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

What was that?

Jim talked a lot about how difficult it was to figure out how Harry would get out of various situations without his magic and that's why it was taking him longer to write the book. Ultimately this proved too difficult for Jim because there's really no point in the story where Harry can't use magic; there's always a convenient wizard nearby that he can possess and solve his problems the old-fashioned way (fire).

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

When I see a guy named Lesley I think "dude you have a girl's name."

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

For all you lazy bastards that need someone to read your stories to you, but whined about the guy that read it the first time around.

:v:

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

navyjack posted:

This. It's the easiest thing in the world to copy and paste character descriptions...

I feel that people don't comprehend just how bad this gets until they've read three or four books in the series.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Vicissitude posted:

I liked the first two. They're nothing special but I do check every now and again to see if the third one has been announced.

The third one has been out for like...three years. Here.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Stross is right.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Mars4523 posted:

Still, you get the feeling the author wants you to think "Harry is an tough badass who is Right" rather than "Christ he can be a fuckup at times".

Exactly this.

Compare it with Felix Castor, who is an rear end in a top hat for the sake of being an rear end in a top hat and brings every single problem he has down on himself because he's an rear end in a top hat. There's a scene in the second (I think) book where he needs to get some info from a guy, and while the guy is initially suspicious there's no reason to believe he can't be convinced or bribed or something, but nope, Felix just starts screaming at the guy for no real reason. I stopped reading there series because every situation is like that.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

A bit of an off the wall recommendation, Kayla and the Devil by Bryan Smith. Smith is known for really dark horror (he's usually mentioned in the same breath as Edward Lee and Wrath James White), but gave urban fantasy a shot for some very personal reasons. The result is a book that is entertaining, if a bit different. The tendencies of his usual genre are always bubbling just beneath the surface, which gives rise to some dialog and situations that you don't really see in other urban fantasy books.

It's only 99c, so even if it ends up not being your cup of tea, you're not out much (or anything if you're a Prime subscriber and take advantage of the no-rush shipping that gives you a $1 promotion credit every time you choose it).

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

The Fool posted:

So how many people have actually read the rivers of London series?

It's mentioned I the op, and while I enjoy Dresden, I find the adventures of constable wizard Peter Grant much more satisfying.

I think most of the active posters have.

Speaking of other series, a couple of updates (since I troll Amazon and blogs for this stuff):

Paul Cornell submitted the first draft of his third Shadow Police novel back in March, and the estimated publication date is December 3rd.

There's a new Sandman Slim novel coming out in July. The blurb:

Killing Pretty posted:

Sandman Slim investigates Death’s death in this hip, propulsive urban fantasy through a phantasmagoric LA rife with murder, mayhem, and magic.

James Stark has met his share of demons and angels, on earth and beyond. Now, he’s come face to face with the one entity few care to meet: Death.

Someone has tried to kill Death—ripping the heart right out of him—or rather the body he’s inhabiting. Death needs Sandman Slim’s help: he believes anyone who can beat Lucifer and the old gods at their own game is the only one who can solve his murder.

Stark follows a sordid trail deep into LA’s subterranean world, from vampire-infested nightclubs to talent agencies specializing in mad ghosts, from Weimar Republic mystical societies to sleazy supernatural underground fight and sex clubs. Along the way he meets a mysterious girl—distinguished by a pair of graveyard eyes—as badass as Slim: she happens to be the only person who ever outwitted Death. But escaping her demise has had dire consequences for the rest of the world . . . and a few others.

For years, Slim has been fighting cosmic forces bent on destroying Heaven, Hell, and Earth. This time, the battle is right here on the gritty streets of the City of Angels, where a very clever, very ballsy killer lies in wait.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Benny the Snake posted:

So I just finished "Foxglove Summer" and Daniel O'Malley's sequel to "The Rook"-"Stiletto"-isn't comming out for another month and only electronically :smith: I have "A Plain-Dealing Villain", the latest Daniel Faust book, but I kinda feel like decompressing a bit from that series. I'm looking for another urban fantasy series and my tastes are definetly more towards the Rivers of London/The Rook spectrum of minority/female protagonists and mindful writers. Or at the very least, something like the David Faust series where it reads like something I'd watch on HBO. Any suggestions?

And on that note, what's the consesus on "The Wolves of London"? I've seen it in my bookstore and I've been curious about it.

Check out London Falling by Paul Cornell.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

coyo7e posted:

Why do the covers of the Dresden Files books look more and more like David Gemmell's Jerusalem man, as they progress?

Because Chris McGrath is terrible.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

The first Monster Hunter International book is free on Amazon (or Baen's site). Correia is kind of a dick sometimes, but by all accounts his series is a lot of fun.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

qbert posted:

I finished Foxglove Summer a couple days ago.

When does the next book come out? :(

Later this year (in the UK).

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Haha, fair enough on MHI - I haven't read it, was just passing along the fact that it was free.

And it's important to note that for all their posturing, the Sad Puppies did not get their slate nominated, the Rabid Puppies (organized by Vox Day) did. There's a lot of overlap, so the important thing to look at is where the slates differ, and in just about every case, it's the RP guy that got nominated.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Megazver posted:

He's legit crazy, not just a right-wing rear end in a top hat, but he can write.

High-quality writing!

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Drifter posted:

You're mixing your arguments.

And you support human filth.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Ague Proof posted:

How crazy do you have to be to think writing a lesbian relationship is treason?

He thinks god is literally talking to him, so pretty crazy.

quote:

Are these people like O.D. gimmicks? I don't come into this thread all that often, just to get some neat recommendations about books.

No, I just hold the opinion that once an author goes far enough on the "I am a hateful dipshit" spectrum, it's perfectly acceptable to shun them, regardless of the quality of their writing, and I question anyone that can ignore all the vile poo poo these authors say in the search for "a good story."

Ornamented Death fucked around with this message at 20:13 on May 17, 2015

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

torgeaux posted:

edit: Even you, for instance. Acknowledging that you think it's best an author take creative lanes outside the series, does it make you impatient if such an author writes something you don't care for?

No, because I'm an adult with a job I frequently would like a break from and I realize other adults, including world-famous authors, probably feel the same on occasion.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've got a question, but it's a bit of an odd question. If I was to go on the Book Depository and get the North American version of Foxglove Summer, how would sit on my bookshelf next to the UK versions of the other books published by Gollancz? What are its dimensions by comparison?

:spergin::hf::spergin:

The US paperback is going to be smaller based on the dimensions for Foxglove Summer given at Amazon and the dimensions for Moon Over Soho at AmazonUK.

Though if you're already ordering from the Book Depository, why not get the UK edition so everything will match?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

cybertier posted:

Today I realized that there are more than the three Sandman Slim novels that I read a while ago.

While those books didn't blow me away like the Dresden Files I enjoyed them, since I liked that specific fantasy-mix (Urban fantasy, with christian mythologie and kitchen sink attached) and the over-the-top action.

Are the latter three books as good as or better/worse than the first three?

Book 3 is, by far, the worst in the series, so if you liked it, you'll love the rest.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Megazver posted:

He's conservative as in he's not an American internet liberal, I suppose.

This. The only people that can classify the Dresden Files as "conservative straight white male fantasy" and keep a straight face are people that have never actually read any conservative straight white male fantasy.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I gave it a go, but couldn't really get into it. Obviously, it wasn't a direct adaptation, but I think it was different enough they probably could've changed the names and just done it as an magic detective show independent of the Dresden franchise.

I think this only works if the Dresden Files didn't exist, otherwise you get fans of the book series deriding the show as a complete ripoff of the books. And as the network was counting on fans of the books to provide a substantial portion of the ratings...

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Jesus Christ, use the loving timg tag you goddamn nerd.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

It's just a weird point. "Oh, well, what Butcher is writing is not literally the worst possible permutation of that situation." The problem is that wasn't what he set out to write in the first place; it's possible for something to happen in fiction without necessitating a comparison to the absolute worst things that have ever happened in the real world.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Oroborus posted:

How far out do we usually find out release dates? Is it safe to say if we don't hear about the release for Peace Talks by the end of July that we won't get it this year?

You usually get the release date after the book has gone through the first round or two of editing. Since Jim hasn't finished it yet, and has given no indication that he's even close to doing so, I wouldn't hold your breath.

Spring 2016 is the earliest I would expect it, and probably the most likely time frame, though Summer/Fall wouldn't surprise me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

jivjov posted:

Any word on why the physical copy of Bigfoot is 1) $35 dollars and 2) Already out of stock? Was it some kind of crazy limited thing?

1) Limited edition (even for the trade as there will be a fraction of the number of those as Penguin would print)
2) SubPress fills direct orders before wholesale orders

Or

2) There was a production error that pushed release of the physical book back a few weeks, so Amazon may have quit taking new orders until that's sorted out.

Probably a little of both for 2.